Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Jeff, yes, I use the camera controls to adjust shutter speeds and aperture, but I was referring to using Av or Tv and I like neither of them.

Dave, yeah, I already got that part. But I don't intend to buy a wide angle right now. I was just asking about the kit lens for my personal preference. I'd rather have an A or F or FA than a DA, or D for that matter.

03-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Still seems like you're misunderstanding soemthing. If you are using a lens with an "A" position on the aperture ring and are setting it to "A", it's *exactly* like using a lens with no paerture ring at all. No one is limiting you to Av or Tv - you can use use M mode if you prefer. And it works far better using such a lens in M mode than when using the aperture ring: when using the aperture ring, you have no no meter reading. When using an aperture ring in "A" position, or a lens with no aperture ring, you have the meter reading at all times. Even in "M" mode. Plus, when using the aperture ring, you lose all flash automation as well as the option of multi-segment metering, and even center weighted metering can be a bit unpredictable when using stop-down metering. So there is no advantage whatsoever, and only disadvantages, to using the aperture ring on a DSLR.
03-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Ditto Marc's comments....WHAT is your "complaint" about not having an aperture ring if you use your A lens on the "A" setting anyway? Does the lens not look as "cool" as an older lens?
03-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Marc. I guess I just didn't understand that the DA lens would act that way. I assumed I would have to use Av or Tv with them. So, we can call this case solved. I'm thinking of buying the 18-55 and that's why I asked this question.

gordon, whatever. I don't like being yelled at, using capital letters on the internet constitutes yelling. LOL

03-26-2010, 12:05 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Thanks Marc. I guess I just didn't understand that the DA lens would act that way. I assumed I would have to use Av or Tv with them. So, we can call this case solved. I'm thinking of buying the 18-55 and that's why I asked this question.

gordon, whatever. I don't like being yelled at, using capital letters on the internet constitutes yelling. LOL
Sorry I didn't mean to "yell"

I was using the CAPs for emphasis.

Glad you got it all sorted out now!
03-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, that's why most forums have BBcode. So you can use italize, underline, bold and colors and sizes in your response for emphasis, instead of All caps.
03-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Well, that's why most forums have BBcode. So you can use italize, underline, bold and colors and sizes in your response for emphasis, instead of All caps.
sorry about that

All in good fun. Happy shooting this weekend!

03-26-2010, 01:03 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In reality, the bigger, bolder, more colorful, underlined, italicized and capitalized a response is the louder it is.

simple all caps is barely more than a wisper

if you really want to SHOUT

that is also possible
03-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Jeff, yes, I use the camera controls to adjust shutter speeds and aperture, but I was referring to using Av or Tv and I like neither of them.
Ok, I understand. I prefer M mode when wanting full control most of the time too though I must admit, most of my cameras remain stuck in Av mode. If you're looking for a wider than the kit lens, it's going to cost some money.. The DA12-24 can be had for about $600 new right now (and can be used in full on M mode). I don't know how you feel about Fisheye lenses but you can also go 8mm for $300.. The DA14 and DA15 lenses are also stellar performers (and I happen to know there's a DA14 available on the marketplace right now ).

8mm Ultra-Wide Fisheye Lens for Pentax K-x K2000 K20D - eBay (item 300411359263 end time Apr-25-10 11:29:53 PDT)

(and it has an Aperture ring )

03-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I guess I'm going to have to stick with used lenses then. Ebay has many, KEH has some. .
New Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses still have aperture rings and manual focus I'm saving up as we type. ;-)
03-26-2010, 03:06 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Jeff thanks but since I now know it's basically the same useage, I can get the 18-55mm for less than $50, I'll go that way for now.

ajuett, I'm not rich and I'm retired so money is short. No money for expensive lenses here.
03-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #27
Inactive Account

AH, Ok, for some reason I thought you already had the 18-55..

Enjoy the lens..

03-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #28
Inactive Account

ajuett, I'm not rich and I'm retired so money is short. No money for expensive lenses here.
You only live once (as far as we know) so just go for it. ;-) If we do live a 2nd time then at least your credit card debt won't follow you
03-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
No credit cards either. You going to pay my other bills, like rent, electric, water, and food, if I do as you say and buy a more expensive lens?
03-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you really want to get "silly" wide on the cheap, there's always the option of picking up a film camera for $50-ish and using one of the old Vivitar 17mm or 19mm full frame lenses (maybe $90). They had the A-mode as well as an aperture ring.