Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
stupid question

on the Pentax Kit lens 18-55mm why is there no aperture ring?

03-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All DA series lenes have no aperture ring. It is assumed that they will be used on a modern pentax DSLR body that can control the aperture with in-body controls.
03-26-2010, 06:25 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, thanks for the warning about which ones don't have the aperture ring anyway.

I have a modern DSLR, and wanted a wider angle lens than the 28mm I have. But I also shoot Manual with lens set at the "A" position. So I guess I'll look for some other type of lens.
03-26-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Well, thanks for the warning about which ones don't have the aperture ring anyway.

I have a modern DSLR, and wanted a wider angle lens than the 28mm I have. But I also shoot Manual with lens set at the "A" position. So I guess I'll look for some other type of lens.

You can still shoot in manual, you just use the dials on the camera to adjust the aperture. It's just a different way of accomplishing the same thing.

03-26-2010, 06:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Exactly Mel. Either use the dial on the body with a DA series lens or use the dial on the lens with FA and older (or with these you can use the body dial in A position) Same thing with either.
03-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

When I use my A50 1:2 lens I also leave it on the 'A' setting and control the aperture via my control dial on my K100DS. Essentially all DA lenses are on 'A' mode all the time with aperture control to be done with dials on the camera.
03-26-2010, 06:44 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Mel, and Peter, I knew that, I just don't like the onboard camera controls. I've tried them and they don't suit me.

Mr.Apollinax, I do that too with my 70-300mm Sigma.

03-26-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

ah... gotcha. Unfortunately the Pentax lenses that have the aperture rings are FA and earlier. If you are looking for autofocus pentax glass the F-series glass is getting harder to come by and the FA glass you can get new is pretty spendy with the FA50 coming in at the lowest price point. I'm not sure but I've noticed a lot of 3rd party zooms lack an aperture ring whereas the 3rd party primes have one, especially the macro lenses. Not sure what that is but it is just something I've noticed.
03-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, more and more lenses are coming without aperture rings. Since most (all?) DSLR's of all brands have control dials on the body. In fact many Nikons and Pentax's are almost identical in the e dial layout.
03-26-2010, 07:23 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I guess I'm going to have to stick with used lenses then. Ebay has many, KEH has some.

I'd like also to have a 500mm in less price range than they are now.

Thanks for the help MrAppollinax, and Peter, and Mel.
03-26-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photolady, without the aperture ring, the lens sometimes does not look as nice. But the advantage of using the camera to change/control the aperture is the finer degree of control of the aperture in 1/2 or 1/3 steps whereas it is not achievable in (some) manual focus lens with the dial. So, there is some advantage.
03-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks but I never could get these controls to work "my" way so I use them the way it works for me. "A" lenses work fine. But I have only one that has that setting, the rest are all M lenses.
03-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Zeiss still makes screwmount lenses, which have to have the aperture control on the lens.
So if you just buy Zeiss screwmounts your safe.... although also broke.
03-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Thanks but I never could get these controls to work "my" way so I use them the way it works for me. "A" lenses work fine. But I have only one that has that setting, the rest are all M lenses.
Forgive my confusion here but if you're using an A lens set at A, How are you then controlling the aperture if not with the camera dials? I too wish that the modern lenses (such as my DFA100mm f2.8 WR) came with Aperture rings so that I could then use them on my MZ-S at something other than wide open.

03-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're going to be stuck with some difficult lens choices. Finding a lens wider than 28mm, with an aperture ring, and less than $100 like a DA 18-55mm is a challenge. I don't think you are going to get better optical performance than the kit lens without spending a lot more. Vivitar has some lenses like this: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - 19-35mm f3.5-45

The review mentions a Tokina. I think there's a Samyang zoom with similar range, probably a different design. There are a couple of Pentax zooms that start at 24mm, but aren't enough wider to be worth the price or search. A handful of prime lenses might work.