Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My FA35 AF motor is stuck and wont focus

My FA35 AF motor is stuck and wont focus .. The cause was when i tried to change lens i accidentally hold the focusing ring to remove the lens instead of the lens. Now it wont focus in the AF mode. is there a way to fix this?

03-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the lens off the camera, turn the focus ring and see if the screwdriver slot for the camera's drive mechanism still turns.

The inside of the mechanism looks like this:

I'm not sure what could have broken, or how. Unless the camera was trying to focus while you were taking the lens off, I don't think anything should break. In that case the focus ring simply turns the motor in the camera.
03-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

The FA 35mm doesn't have a motor....The autofocus is controlled by the motor in the body.
03-26-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried switching it with another lens and it lens focuses properly. Then i tried putting the FA35 again but still wont work.. I switched it again w/ another lens and switch it back w/ the FA35 and the AF works.. I dunno what happened why the AF got stuck..
I usually turn the focusing ring instead of the holding the lens when I try to switch lenses.

03-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
My FA35 AF motor is stuck and wont focus .. The cause was when i tried to change lens i accidentally hold the focusing ring to remove the lens instead of the lens. Now it wont focus in the AF mode. is there a way to fix this?
This has got to stop.
When is Pentax going to finally admit to their SDM problems, and fix the situation.
Your post has just pushed me over the edge, I can no longer trust Pentax so I'm selling off all my gear and buying into Holga. At least they know how to treat a customer.
I hope that Pentax pulls up their socks and fixes the issues sometime, however I just can't see it happening during my lifetime.

And for those that haven't figured it out, I'm kidding. The FA35 doesn't have SDM, and is one fine lens.

I hope that you can get it fixed fast and affordably Rusty.
03-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
This has got to stop.
When is Pentax going to finally admit to their SDM problems, and fix the situation.
Your post has just pushed me over the edge, I can no longer trust Pentax so I'm selling off all my gear and buying into Holga. At least they know how to treat a customer.
I hope that Pentax pulls up their socks and fixes the issues sometime, however I just can't see it happening during my lifetime.

And for those that haven't figured it out, I'm kidding. The FA35 doesn't have SDM, and is one fine lens.

I hope that you can get it fixed fast and affordably Rusty.
Thx for the concern. Its not Pentax fault what happened w/ the lens..
I accidentally as always turned the focusing ring whenever i changed lens.
...I just read that 2nd to the last Pharagraph of yours
03-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I did accidentally and forcibly turned the focusing ring of my copy slightly while it was on AF mode. I forgot that I had changed lenses from an MF lens (which was ok to turn under AF mode) to an AF lens. I noticed a resistance and a slight grind and I immediately stopped. I checked on the AF mode switch and was horrified to see that the screwdrive was engaged. I immediately check my camera's screwdrive contact and put on and tried focusing the concerned lens manually from back and forth from the left end of the focus to the right and then focused automatically just the same from the edge to edge back and forth. I was thankful that it still working and didnt notice any damage.

the worst case that could had happened is that the AF gear might had broken off due to stress or forcibly turning the focus ring.

I don't know if you still hear the screwdrive engaging. if it does, then it's the mechanical gear problem, otherwise, it's the electronic part. eventhough the first one seems to be a cheaper repair, it would still cost you money on what was a perfectly working lens which I would think that you had acquired recently. that's quite a bummer actually.

03-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Pentaxor.
I just acquired this last month. and im beginning to like the lens a little bit more.
How do you manage not to accidentally turn it when changing lens? It always happens when i change lenses..
Right now it functions well like before but i dont wanna make the same mistakes again
03-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks Pentaxor.
I just acquired this last month. and im beginning to like the lens a little bit more.
How do you manage not to accidentally turn it when changing lens? It always happens when i change lenses..
It's been a while since I've shot Pentax digital, however the only way that you'll ever get it off is to press the Lens Release button. Which automatically lowers the screwdriver, or whatever you want to call it. Once that drops the lens is no longer in AF, so it shouldn't mater.

The only way that you should have been able to damage the lens like that is if you didn't press the lens release button.

Your more likely to have messed it up while trying to manually focus while in AF, or while holding onto the barrel while pressing the shutter button... and it tried focusing.
03-26-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks Pentaxor.
Right now it functions well like before but i dont wanna make the same mistakes again
I do admit that the barrel area of the FA35 is quite narrow for removing or turning the lens barrel off. what I do is I use and position my index finger and thumb in between the lens barrel body and aperture ring which avoid the tendency of turning or touching the lens focusing ring. I put a firm grip and easy twist while pushing the lens release button. I usually do an underhand twist clockwise with my thumb positioned on top and the index finger below the lens body.
03-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
Inactive Account

A little off the topic, but can anyone suggest where to get an FA35 at a reasonable price? I want.. no.. need one badly.
03-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
A little off the topic, but can anyone suggest where to get an FA35 at a reasonable price? I want.. no.. need one badly.
I think that you might be able to talk rustynail925 into selling his copy for a reasonable price
03-27-2010, 06:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I think that you might be able to talk rustynail925 into selling his copy for a reasonable price
Nah! I love my FA35
03-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Look into the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.
03-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
Look into the Sigma 30mm f/1.4.
Yes, I have pondered this lens.