Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2007, 07:06 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
but in the defense of 35mm rangefinders I will point out that $10 is hardly "a lot of money".
I was talking about digital range finders . That's why I said either they're too expensive or i have to deal with film .

07-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
Yes in deed I did say that. And those tables can be really small sometimes . Most often I have to lean backwards a lot with the 50mm, which spoils the fun and attracts attention.

Which zenitar?
I'm not sure which one Mike meant, but if it's the 16mm F2.8, I have to say that it's quite soft at 2.8, I very rarely stop mine down below f4 but it is useable at f3.4, don't know if that is fast enough for you, but you certainly would't have to lean backwards to get the shot in focus.

NaCl(it depends on how fast is fast)H2O
07-13-2007, 10:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
How does it perform at f/2.8 (wide open)? I've found, with my 50/1.4, that I need something faster than f/2.8 if I don't want to use a flash. That is mainly for times when I go out for a drink or dinner and don't want to annoy people by firing the flash. Some times people can't even stand the slap of the mirror .
You might be on a Quixotic quest, my friend. Your requests for this lens:
  • wider than 50mm
  • either faster than f/2.8 or usable for (informal) portraits at f/2.8
  • not a lot of money

It seems to me that the Tokina RMC 28/2 fits the bill, although I don't really know how much they cost. The Pentax-FA 31/1.8 Limited is expensive (but fits the other attributes) and the Pentax-FA 35/2 or 28/2.8 seem like they too might be more than you were looking to spend. I would also say that at f/2.8 those two lenses aren't going to look as nice for portraits as the 31mm. DItto for all the myriad other 28/2.8 and 35/2 or 35/2.8 lenses out there.

The Zeiss Flektogon 35/2.4 is popular for just what you're doing - but lately it has become as expensive as a new FA 28/2.8.

One of my favorites, the SMC Takumar 28/3.5 (or its SMC Pentax bayonet variant) is way too slow for you.

Maybe you should just try picking up some of the el-cheapo 28/2.8 lenses out there and see if it is a hidden gem. Good luck!