Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheap, manual focus, 28mm or 35mm f/2 lenses. Do they exist?

The title says it all .

Do these lenses exist?

I'm looking for a shorter/wider fast lens, than the 50/1.4 I have, to be used in low light .

Last edited by Deni; 07-13-2007 at 05:22 AM.
07-13-2007, 12:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax made both the 28mm and 35mm with f1:2 in the "K";M;and A series. You can pick them up on ebay. Do a search for completed listings to determine if they fit your requirement of cheap.

I have the M series in both focal lengths and are a pleasure to use with the DS and K10D.
07-13-2007, 01:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Are similar lenses from other manufacturers any good? If yes, which one would you recommend?
07-13-2007, 02:57 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I can't say anything about other manufactures but I bought my M 28mm f2.8 from Cameta camera in mint+ condition for $29.00 + $7.00 shipping USD. It is a very good lens.

07-13-2007, 03:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
I can't say anything about other manufactures but I bought my M 28mm f2.8 from Cameta camera in mint+ condition for $29.00 + $7.00 shipping USD. It is a very good lens.
They have a Tokina 28mmf2.8 Lens for $39. Is that any good? Can I get a 28mm or 35mm f/2 lens for around $50-60 or am I asking too much?
07-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deni Quote
They have a Tokina 28mmf2.8 Lens for $39. Is that any good? Can I get a 28mm or 35mm f/2 lens for around $50-60 or am I asking too much?
28mm and 35mm are incredibly common focal lengths. I think a price from $10-$50 is reasonable depending on the condition and the brand. Unfortunately there are so many off-brand producers out there that it is hard to guess how good each lens will be (this accounts for the very cheap prices for non-OEM 28mm lenses). The Tokina RMC 28mm f/2.0 is very good, but my guess is the 28mm/2.8 is just so-so. I also like the Soligor "C/D" branded lenses if you're looking for non-Pentax bargains.

Have you checked out Stan's site to see what is out there? It can be somewhat helpful, although I disagree with several of the opinions stated there.
07-13-2007, 05:20 AM   #7

I have a Tokina RMC 28mm/f2.8 and it is a fairly good lens.
It does what it's supposed to do.

Bostjan

07-13-2007, 05:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bostjan Quote
I have a Tokina RMC 28mm/f2.8 and it is a fairly good lens.
It does what it's supposed to do.

Bostjan
How does it perform at f/2.8 (wide open)? I've found, with my 50/1.4, that I need something faster than f/2.8 if I don't want to use a flash. That is mainly for times when I go out for a drink or dinner and don't want to annoy people by firing the flash. Some times people can't even stand the slap of the mirror .
07-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You said in another thread that you want to "across the table" shots.

Have you considered the Zenitar? It seems to be a rather popular lens here on the group. Do a search on it and you should find quite a few interesting posts and photos. (And I believe the price is right).
07-13-2007, 05:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
You said in another thread that you want to "across the table" shots.
Yes in deed I did say that. And those tables can be really small sometimes . Most often I have to lean backwards a lot with the 50mm, which spoils the fun and attracts attention.

Which zenitar?
07-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #11

How does it perform at f/2.8 (wide open)? I've found, with my 50/1.4, that I need something faster than f/2.8 if I don't want to use a flash. That is mainly for times when I go out for a drink or dinner and don't want to annoy people by firing the flash. Some times people can't even stand the slap of the mirror .
I have used it only a few times wide open (since I usually use it to shoot landscapes with my film SLR), but as I recall the quality was quite good (especially considering the amount paid

You might consider a Rangefinder for portrait work "across the table" if the mirror is too lout. Rangefinders are much quieter and usualy come with excellent and very fast lenses...

Bostjan
07-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have used it only a few times wide open (since I usually use it to shoot landscapes with my film SLR), but as I recall the quality was quite good (especially considering the amount paid

You might consider a Rangefinder for portrait work "across the table" if the mirror is too lout. Rangefinders are much quieter and usualy come with excellent and very fast lenses...

Bostjan

Don't want to spend a lot of money and the idea of working with film seriously puts me off .
07-13-2007, 06:13 AM   #13

OK, fair enaugh.
07-13-2007, 06:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster

OK, fair enaugh.
Thanks for the suggestion though .
07-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Don't want to spend a lot of money and the idea of working with film seriously puts me off .
I won't address the issue of film, but in the defense of 35mm rangefinders I will point out that $10 is hardly "a lot of money". Especially for considering the outstanding images that can be taken with them. They're only so cheap because the photographic world has largely consigned them to the scrapheap of history. Despite their similar physical appearance, one would be very mistaken to confuse them with point-n-shoot cameras.