Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #1

fake macro with 50-200

i've seen that you can take macro shots with the kitzoom, but i can't find what is needed think it was an adaptor of some kind.
if any could give some tips that not involve buying a real macro ( ) it would be really great.

thx !

07-13-2007, 01:33 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You have to use closeup lens.
For example this
07-13-2007, 01:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
aaahh ! i'll take a look. does the image quality degrades a lot with these ? any other tips ? thx barnimir !
07-13-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think you can also use an extension tube which does not degrade the quality of the picture.

07-13-2007, 08:36 AM   #5

Original Poster
extension tube that sounds interesting, any idea of which "model" to use ? and is it better with the 18-55 or 50-200 ?
thx
07-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Longer lenses result in longer working distances, which often makes life easier.

Also many extension tubes state that they should be used with lenses with a 50mm or longer FL.

Closeup lenses:
Pros - You maintain AF, and are guaranteed to retain automatic aperture. In short, maximum compatibility and ease of use.

Cons - Very few closeup lenses are achromatic doublets. Those that are will be quite expensive. Non-achromat closeup lenses will add chromatic aberration. I've gotten decent results with my +1 and +2 Tiffens, I haven't tried the +4 diopter lens on its own, but the results with all three stacked were abysmal - severe CA and general blurriness. The set was $50.

Extension tubes:
Pros - No degradation of image quality

Cons - With a few very rare exceptions, you will lose AF. Although in the extreme macro range, unless you have a lens with internal focusing (neither the 18-55 nor the 50-200 do) AF will not work as the focusing mechanism will change the working distance. You'll need to move the camera closer/farther away from the subject to focus. (this is why people sell focusing rails, but if you have a short tripod with an extendable center column this will work OK for straight-down macro shots.)
Also, cheap extension tubes will remove auto aperture functionality, which will stop any P-TTL flashes from functioning and make exposure a general pain. More expensive ones will preserve auto aperture.

In short, the extension tubes will be more difficult to use but will provide better results.
07-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Extension tubes:
Pros - No degradation of image quality

Cons - With a few very rare exceptions, you will lose AF. Although in the extreme macro range, unless you have a lens with internal focusing (neither the 18-55 nor the 50-200 do) AF will not work as the focusing mechanism will change the working distance. You'll need to move the camera closer/farther away from the subject to focus. (this is why people sell focusing rails, but if you have a short tripod with an extendable center column this will work OK for straight-down macro shots.)
Also, cheap extension tubes will remove auto aperture functionality, which will stop any P-TTL flashes from functioning and make exposure a general pain. More expensive ones will preserve auto aperture.

In short, the extension tubes will be more difficult to use but will provide better results.
to use ETS with the kit lens you will have to have a set of at least A electrical contacts. otherwise you will not only loose AF but also the ability to set the aperture as the kitlens does not have an aperture ring.

07-13-2007, 04:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The Kit gives the impression of 'macro' because of its rather close focusing distance. You can set the zoom to 55mm for an even higher magnification.
07-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
to use ETS with the kit lens you will have to have a set of at least A electrical contacts. otherwise you will not only loose AF but also the ability to set the aperture as the kitlens does not have an aperture ring.
True, I should have pointed out that with the kit lens and the DA 50-200, auto aperture functionality is essentially required as those lenses do not support manual aperture functionality.

Note: There are a number of eBay vendors that are currently selling extension tube sets that are "full manual" but show a DA-series lens mounted. Beware! Don't be fooled by the photo, they are showing a fundamentally incompatible lens/extension tube combo! That's the reason I haven't bought extension tubes yet - Extension tubes that support autoaperture on eBay are rare, and new ET sets are $150ish.
07-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #10
Forum Member

check raynox dcr-250 out.

here's a sample of what it can do when coupled with the DA50-200.
07-14-2007, 05:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

How much did u get for this raynox dcr-250?
07-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #12

Original Poster
omg raynox got me
07-14-2007, 08:53 PM   #13
Forum Member

i got it for $40 online. it performs well as an alternative to a macro lens. i'm sure you won't be disappointed with it. for 40 bucks, give it a try.
07-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

For the bug picture, how far are u standing away when u are using the DA50-200 with the raynox?
07-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #15
Forum Member

i was pretty close to the wasp... i'd say about a few inches from him.