Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #1

Australian lens buyer help?

Alas I want to buy a Fa 31mm. So I rang C R Kennedy to enquire about stock (yes!!!) and if “Ryda.com.au” supplies an Australian Pentax warranty since it was the best price I could find? Anyhow I never found out about Ryda cause I was told to print the Ad out take it to one of the two big camera shops in South Australia, tell them that you have contacted CR Kennedy and they will? match the price! Well this morning I went into the store that rythmes with “DREADs” and they were quite rude and very unhelpful. (so much for buying all my canon gear there). I know I read in the “other forum” once about how CR Kennedy will match prices somehow but considering the lengthy drive to and from the city I feel like buying overseas - I'm a little cheesed off!! (however the FA limited have little price advantage of doing this unlike DA’s)

1. Has anyone bought anything from Ryda.com.au and was it a good experience?
2. Does anyone know if CR Kennedy will support International warranty if I can get one?
3. or How can I get a reasonable price in S.A.?
thanks…

03-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pHREDD D Quote
Alas I want to buy a Fa 31mm. So I rang C R Kennedy to enquire about stock (yes!!!) and if “Ryda.com.au” supplies an Australian Pentax warranty since it was the best price I could find? Anyhow I never found out about Ryda cause I was told to print the Ad out take it to one of the two big camera shops in South Australia, tell them that you have contacted CR Kennedy and they will? match the price! Well this morning I went into the store that rythmes with “DREADs” and they were quite rude and very unhelpful. (so much for buying all my canon gear there). I know I read in the “other forum” once about how CR Kennedy will match prices somehow but considering the lengthy drive to and from the city I feel like buying overseas - I'm a little cheesed off!! (however the FA limited have little price advantage of doing this unlike DA’s)

1. Has anyone bought anything from Ryda.com.au and was it a good experience?
2. Does anyone know if CR Kennedy will support International warranty if I can get one?
3. or How can I get a reasonable price in S.A.?
thanks…
Let me share my experience in Brisbane.

First I have had some very useful exchanges with CR Kennedy. They can provide very fruitful advice, and they were most helpful in my case.

Second several Aussies Pentaxians found that the prices of lenses are exhorbitant/prohibitive in Australia, and you should consider seriously to order from overseas; from some reliable places like adorama.com, B&H, and keh.com. I used myself adorama.com and keh.com, and I can recommend them strongly.

Lastly, in response to your queries:
1. I am not sure that Ryda.com has such a good reputation. I read several criticisms from disgrunted customers. Digital Camera Warehouse has some excellent pricing and is better regarded in Oz.

2. I do not believe that CR Kennedy will honour an international warranty, because there is not official Pentax official intl warranty.

3. I do not know any photo shopping places in SA. I would recommend that you buy from the web.
+ Either from Australia like Digital Camera Warehouse, Camera Warehouse, Camera Action, or Photo Continental. Their websites are quite well organised and these places are reputable. (You can google the names and the URL will come quickly.)
+ Or you consider to buy from overseas, for example from North America. As long as your order is less than AUD$1,000, there is no import tax, and you only need to add the price of shipping (eg UPS International).

Personally, I purchased my camera (and SD card) in Brizzie with some assistance from CRK to match the best price; I bought my 2 Pentax lenses from adorama.com and keh.com. I bought several accessories from Photo Continental. All in all I am a very happy customer and believe that I got some excellent deals.

Hope that the comment will help...
03-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My experience with CR Kennedy was quite positive for a price match. An enquiry email with a link to the specific item I was after was all it took for them to give me a price that included shipping cost to my home address, courier service bein Aus Post. A local warranty was supplied for the item.
03-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #4

I've good experience with CRK as well. Multiple transactions over last yr.
I got all the lenses shipped to my door in a matter of 2 days once the payment was made. Best service ever!

03-27-2010, 04:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Digital Camera Warehouse Australia - Discount Digital Cameras shipped Australia Wide - Home is another Australian store with great prices
03-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Second several Aussies Pentaxians found that the prices of lenses are exhorbitant/prohibitive in Australia, and you should consider seriously to order from overseas; from some reliable places like adorama.com, B&H, and keh.com. I used myself adorama.com and keh.com, and I can recommend them strongly.
I agree.. I have nothing but high praise for B&H and they deliver to my door within a few days.

If you look at this as an option at all then I suggest you check out the exchange rate and also remember you will be up for import tax on goods worth over 1k... then do your sums

good luck in your pursuite of this wonderful lens.

Neil