Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
California Kit

I am about to head out for a conference in CA. In addition to real work, some of the activities include a beach picnic, Dodger game, and tour of the 20th Century Fox studios. Plus any other sight seeing I feel like doing.

I am flying, but will likely carry my Case Logic bag and computer. I just have the heebyjeebies about trying to check either of those.

So, I'm planning to take:

The DS (of course)
kit lens
Viv 75-205mm
50mm M f2
2x tele.

I was going to leave the 28mm f2.8 at home. I know it's not heavy, but it's one less thing to carry around, and move around in my small case.

I'll use the kit for wide angle stuff out side, the 50mm for the tour (maybe carry the 2x along with that in case I need more length...) and the longest lens I have to the game.

Am I thinking rightly? Should I just suck it up and pack the 28mm? I just can't think of a need for it. I should be able to use the 50mm in any low light situation...

slinky

Last edited by mediaslinky; 07-14-2007 at 06:35 AM.
07-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
makes sense to me. The kit lens is very good for a 'consumer' lens and should do a fine job in most cases. If the light is a little too low then bump up the ISO a notch. I don't know if I'd even bother with the 2x when you are on the tour. If I was going somewhere (tour) and could only carry 2 lenses then I'd take the 50 and the long zoom. Making the 50 a 100 f2.8 (I'm assuming you have the 1.4) isn't as flexible as the long zoom and not too much faster. But that's up to you and you know the shooting situation better than I do.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-14-2007 at 07:46 AM.
07-14-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mediaslinky Quote

I was going to leave the 28mm f2.8 at home. I know it's not heavy, but it's one less thing to carry around, and move around in my small case.

I'll use the kit for wide angle stuff out side, the 50mm for the tour (maybe carry the 2x along with that in case I need more length...) and the longest lens I have to the game.

Am I thinking rightly? Should I just suck it up and pack the 28mm? I just can't think of a need for it. I should be able to use the 50mm in any low light situation...
The 28mm would be useful for indoor and low-light/nighttime shots when you need a field of view wider than the 50mm. On my last vacation, I used my 28mm f2 quite a bit when the light was too dim for my wide-angle zoom. I think the 28mm would be far more useful than a 2X teleconverter on the indoor studio tour.
07-14-2007, 08:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OK. Good points.

I'll add the 28mm back. Then trim the kit in the hotel from event to event.

Last edited by mediaslinky; 07-15-2007 at 01:00 PM.