Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2007, 11:58 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax 10-22mm wide Angle

I see that there is no ability to place a filter on this lens, which worris me. anyone have any experience with the lens?

EDIT:
I meant 10-17mm

07-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

buy a big one and hold it in front. :P
07-14-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
I see that there is no ability to place a filter on this lens, which worris me. anyone have any experience with the lens?

I meant 10-17mm
The DA 10-17mm is a fisheye lens. The field of view at 10mm is 180 degrees. I don't think it is possible to put a front filter on any lens with a 180 degree field of view without severe vignetting.

If you want a filter on an ultra-wide, try the DA 14mm or the DA 12-24mm which both have filter threads.
07-14-2007, 01:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Unless you are using a polarizer or a special effects filter, don't put anything infront of your lens.

07-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are lucky enough to find one used, the older fisheyes, such as the K 17mm or A 16mm have a built-in set of 4 filters

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-14-2007, 04:38 PM   #6

Original Poster
My issue is really one of lens protection. I have UV filters on all of my lenses for that purpose

I would feel uneasy about having a lens in my bag with no protection

PS
07-14-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

LoL The reason why the lens elements are curved is because they are optically corrected via the company's design. The lens formula does not account for the extra piece of glass and so you end up with extra flare, reduced contrast etc.

Pentax like all the other big companies hard coat all their lenses. The 10-17 even has the water protection layer to make water roll off and fingerprints easier to remove.

About filters... think about it this way. If the filter shattered as a result of a fall/drop/hitting something....where are the glass shards likely to go? Think about it for a minute.

07-14-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxshooter Quote
My issue is really one of lens protection. I have UV filters on all of my lenses for that purpose

I would feel uneasy about having a lens in my bag with no protection

PS
Put the cap on it when not in use. I do, without problems.
07-20-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Put the cap on it when not in use. I do, without problems.
In addition, the lens comes with a very small fold over type case. At first I was really put off by this case design, but it doesn't take up any more room than the lens and will help protect it in your camera bag. But the caps on the ends of the lens when not in use and slip it into the case. Works for me.