Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #1

EXIF Lens Model field missing for DA* 55

I just picked up a DA* 55 to use with my K-7 and I've noticed that the EXIF data field for Lens Model is blank in Aperture. The focal length is reported correctly, and everything else works normally. All of my other lenses report their Model correctly, so I'm wondering if this is normal or if the DA 55 doesn't have that info embedded in it's chip for some reason? Perhaps the K-7 needs a firmware update before it will recognize it correctly?

03-28-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it may be Aperture. I have the K20D and the EXIF data for the lens model does not recognize my DA 55-300. It does recognize the kit lens and the FA 50 1.4, and states M42 for any of the my Takumar lenses.

I haven't upgraded to Aperture 3.0 yet, and I was wondering if it will recognize the 55-300. I do have the latest firmware for the K20D, though come to think of it, I'm not sure I've used the lens since I updated. I'll have to try it out tomorrow and see.
03-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the problem is on the Apple side rather than the Pentax side. It's my understanding that the RAW codec that Apple uses needs to be updated to include lens names. Both my DA 55 and DA 15 are missing; however, I do remember at some point way back when there was practically no lens info for Pentax lenses in Aperture, and then a bunch got added.

I had hoped the RAW update that added support for the K-7 would include some of the newer lenses, but no dice.
03-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The lens tag is just a binary that the lens communicates to the camera. The software that is reading the file has to have that code in it's database for it to be able to display it properly.
So, the short answer is that your software vendor has dropped the ball, not your hardware vendor.

03-29-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ridogi Quote
I just picked up a DA* 55 to use with my K-7 and I've noticed that the EXIF data field for Lens Model is blank in Aperture. The focal length is reported correctly, and everything else works normally. All of my other lenses report their Model correctly, so I'm wondering if this is normal or if the DA 55 doesn't have that info embedded in it's chip for some reason? Perhaps the K-7 needs a firmware update before it will recognize it correctly?
I've been getting some funky data from the lens model field via exiftool, especially when it comes to third party lenses. It's also too easily tampered with. As long as you remember the lens model you used, you can insert it back in later on your own.

I don't think it's a pentax problem. You can try to extract the code with exiftool and look it up for verification if your software does not display it.
03-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
Okay, thanks-I guess the problem is Aperture. I am still using Aperture 2.1.4 as I am on a PPC G5 and can't upgrade to Aperture 3. I am actually not running the RAW Compatibility Update 3.1 that was just released with K-7 support as installing that turned all of my images turned to maroon rectangles with an error that they couldn't be displayed, so I rolled back to 3.0. Since I shoot DNG over PEF this isn't a big deal, but good to hear that I'm not missing out on features by not installing that one.

Fortunately I can ID the photos based on the focal length as I don't (currently) have any other lenses that match it.