Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I agree. The DA 12-24 is also in my opinion, the best DA zoom

I have the DA* 16-50, but it just wouldn't replace it

Don't get me wrong. The DA* 16-50 is a wonderful lens (WR, versatile and all)

Just got to say: they are different and I love them both

03-30-2010, 07:32 AM   #17

I loved my DA 12-24......never had a problem.
03-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for your enlightening comments.
03-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arm_jstp Quote
I would rate the DA 12-24mm the best DA zoom (not DA*) in term of build quality. Its front parts under filter thread and focusing ring are metal. Focusing and zoom ring operates very smooth and quieter than other DA zoom. You won't be dissapointed in its construction.
+1.
Also, the colors and contrast are very good.

Cheers, Mike.

03-30-2010, 06:57 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

About 6 months ago I was going through a similiar decision process. I wanted to supplement my 12-24 with something in the 20 range and a prime, for size, weight in traveling. You might be interested in the comments that I received, in that it appears that you might be looking at all the same lenses I was going through.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/78232-20-21mm-...der-zeiss.html

hope that helps a bit....
03-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xGene Quote
Thanks for the hint! Do you know if it "vignettes" at 12mm? If not, I may not need to carry both any longer!

Gene
It will vignette with a polarizer at 12mm up to maybe 14mm. I don't have the super thin new Hoya, so it might improve the vignetting a bit. I find that lenses this wide don't work well with a polarizer anyway, because the sky will be uneven without the polarizer on. It has to do with the angle to the sun changing so much over the width of the lens field of view.
03-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #22
Closed Account

My best description of its build quality is "solid plastic" as opposed to that sort of cheap, crappy plastic. I'm a fan of all-metal lenses, to be sure - I own two of them - but lenses like the 12-24 are the second best in terms of construction in my books.

As for vignetting, I cannot shoot wider than 14mm with a normal-thickness Singh Ray polarizer, but that's a thick sucker. Without a polarizer, I find no vignetting with just the hood on, and I don't even recall any at 12mm with a UV filter on.

04-07-2010, 07:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i've been looking around for a wide angle lately and it seems that 24mm end will be nice to have as a walk around, in addition to 12mm being wide enough. very interested in this lens as well...
04-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #24

Original Poster
I finally decided to buy the DA 12-24 after coming real close to buy a Pentax A 20mm f2.8. I am now looking for a protection/UV filter and a polarizer. I usually buy Hoyas' super SMC UV filter for my lens. Is this a good choice for the DA 12-24? what polarizer would you recommand.

Thanks in advance.
04-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
I finally decided to buy the DA 12-24 after coming real close to buy a Pentax A 20mm f2.8. I am now looking for a protection/UV filter and a polarizer. I usually buy Hoyas' super SMC UV filter for my lens. Is this a good choice for the DA 12-24? what polarizer would you recommand.

Thanks in advance.
The best choice of UV filters on a DSLR lens, is None. Unless you are in the Sahara in a sand storm or on the ocean with salt water splashing all over the camera, they just aren't needed and in some cases, will degrade the quality of the lens you just paid so much money for. Spend your money however you see fit though...

04-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote

Thanks in advance.
I believe you will find vignetting with any filter on this lens when you get to 14mm and below. I use no filters on mine. I used it in a crowded farmers' market over the weekend without any damage to the lens. Some people were annoyed at the feeling of the lens hood digging into the elbows they were trying to use to get me out of their way, indicating that the hood did save some possible smears/damage.

I find that using a polarizer is a bit tricky with lenses wider than 18 mm or so due to the variation in the effect across any sky that is in the image. I do have and use a 77mm CPL on the 16-50, but I am very careful to check the effect before releasing the shutter.
04-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't advice using filters on such ultra wide-angle zoom lens.