Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2007, 04:37 PM   #1

Aquarium (worlds largest not home) suggestions

I would like lens suggestions for aquarium photography. The cameras I've used in the past werent fast enough to allow non blurred imagery or I didnt know what I was doing. Likely.

What would you suggest for this sort of shooting. Flash is prohibited as are tripods IIRC. I assume a glare filter would also help remove the well glare from the display tanks.

I'll be using a K10D and currently have the kit 18-55 lens.

07-14-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by c.r.brown Quote
I would like lens suggestions for aquarium photography. The cameras I've used in the past werent fast enough to allow non blurred imagery or I didnt know what I was doing. Likely.

What would you suggest for this sort of shooting. Flash is prohibited as are tripods IIRC. I assume a glare filter would also help remove the well glare from the display tanks.

I'll be using a K10D and currently have the kit 18-55 lens.
Your most useful accessory would be a rubber lens hood. You can press it against the tank and avoid reflections between the tank wall and the lens. Be sure to bring a clean cloth to clean the wall of the tank though which you are shooting. The only filter that may be of any use at all would be a polarizer, but you lose a lot of light light with it.

Probably the best lens to use would be a macro lens between 50 and 100mm, to allow for close focusing along with reasonable lens speed (f2.8). You kit lens would work ok but it is quite slow at the long end (f5.6). A fast 50mm lens may be a good choice for an inexpensive fast lens.

You need to take a lot of shots and you will only get a few keepers.
07-16-2007, 09:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the input.
07-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've had luck hand held with the DA18-55 at high ISO (1600 & 1800). I've recently tried with the same lens using a monopod at strictly ISO 1600. The hand held was easier to follow the fish.

My best suggestion is to go for the stationary fish. That way you can shot at the high ISO and hand hold at 1/30 sec. (Press the lens hood against the glass for extra stability and to decrease glare).

Examples:

Tim