Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 06:45 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Bought my first budget 'fast' lens... how'd I do?

I just picked up a screw mount Super Takumar 1:1.4/50 off ebay for $33.

Looks ok from the images...

I was looking for a fast lens for use indoors and to do some DOF stuff....

Is this a good lens? I can't really tell much else about the lens. Might be a serial or something on it.

Thanks,

Ken

03-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
I just picked up a screw mount Super Takumar 1:1.4/50 off ebay for $33.

Looks ok from the images...

I was looking for a fast lens for use indoors and to do some DOF stuff....

Is this a good lens? I can't really tell much else about the lens. Might be a serial or something on it.

Thanks,

Ken
Excellent lens, and you did GREAT on the price, if condition is okay.

Well done!!!

Be aware that these lenses have yellowed over the years because of radioactivity (true), but it's no big deal because not only can the yellowing be lessened/removed, but some people like the warm cast it imparts to the images.

Mine isn't very yellowed, so I never did the fix to remove it.
03-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

The SMC version is rated better than the the Super Taks by most folks, but that takes nothing away from the quality of YOUR lens,
03-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Inactive Account

What IS the fix?? I have an Olympus 55mm f1:1.2 built the same way that has some yellowing..

03-29-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

You loosely wrap the front end (where the light enters) with aluminum foil, and place it on a windowsill with the camera end facing the sun. You do it about for about a week, depending on your sun exposure.

You can also put it in a small box lined with foil, and shine a small UV tanning bulb on it.
03-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had my Super-Multi-Coated 50mm f1.4 apart already, and I noticed that the front lens group was clear. The rearmost element was also clear. The yellowing seemed to be limited to the remaining elements, between the aperture blades and the rearmost element. I left those elements on a windowsill for a few months, and they aren't yellowed anymore. But the reassembled lens still has a warmer cast than an A50/1.4 or an F50/1.7.
03-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I had my Super-Multi-Coated 50mm f1.4 apart already, and I noticed that the front lens group was clear. The rearmost element was also clear. The yellowing seemed to be limited to the remaining elements, between the aperture blades and the rearmost element. I left those elements on a windowsill for a few months, and they aren't yellowed anymore. But the reassembled lens still has a warmer cast than an A50/1.4 or an F50/1.7.
From what I've read, the lamp is the way to go.

The other thing is, the way you explained it, it doesn't seem like you're allowing the light to pass through the element unobstructed, unless you stood them up somehow.

03-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
From what I've read, the lamp is the way to go.
Yeah -- because correct me if I'm wrong, but since window glass already filters most light in the UV spectrum putting it on the windowsill will be extremely S-L-O-W...
03-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

On the outside!