Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Barrel Distortion or Chromatic Abberation

Having the option to choose between a lens with ( high CA / low distortions) or (Low CA / high distortion) , which would you choose. Both CA and distortions can sometimes take some work to correct depending on the image. Which in your opinion is easier to correct and which would you choose over the other.

Last edited by Alex00; 03-29-2010 at 03:56 PM.
03-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tough decision.... both are an absolute pain

Personally id rather not get either lenses and find one without either problem. Both really take the fun out of photography for me :ugh:
03-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I assume you are discussing wide angle lenses here as I don't often see distortion in long lenses.

I would take low CA high distortion because that is a much easier fix in my editor (PSP X3)
03-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I assume you are discussing wide angle lenses here as I don't often see distortion in long lenses.

I would take low CA high distortion because that is a much easier fix in my editor (PSP X3)
Ditto. I find distortion much easier to fix than CA using PS4.

03-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I guess it depends on the lenses and on you applications.

If you are shooting landscape, distortions is less of a problem than CA. But if you are shooting architecture, distortions is a major concern.

Some distortions (e.g. moustache) are difficult to fix than simple barrel or pin-cushion distortions. So it depends on the lens too.

It's easier to narrow down to a few lenses, then pick one.
03-29-2010, 03:55 PM   #6

Original Poster
We'll let's say I'm looking at wide angle lens, between Pentax 12-24 and sigma 10-20. Pentax shows high CA low distortion where as Sigma shows Low CA high distortion. Both seems to have good IQ in the center.
03-29-2010, 04:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What distortion are you talking about, perspective opr barrel?

I have a sigma 10-20 F4-5.6 and find it only has minimal barrel distortion.

It is overall a very good sharp lens.

Perspective distortion is simply an issue of field of view, the wider you go themore you have, and it is all about shooting at good angles to avoid it/

03-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Alex:

We just discussed this in the recent thread you started on UWA lenses, here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/90985-wide-lens.html

Also, you have a wanted ad for the Da 12-24 here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/wanted-items/94429-wanted-pentax-12-24mm.html

And you posted a wanted ad for the Sigma 10-20 here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/wanted-items/94429-wanted-pentax-12-24mm.html

If your 1st thread did not answer which of these 2 lenses you want, then why do you have wanted ads for both lenses out?
03-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #9

Original Poster
This thread is is about chromatic aberration vs distortion and about which is easier to correct. It's not about wide angle lenses. Wide angle lenses were mentioned later in the thread. Please read before jumping to conclusions.. It would've been more helpful if you answered the thread rather then tell me what i posted before. As for the wanted ads, it's irrelevant to this thread. I didn't know that posting more then 1 wanted ad is prohibited.

Last edited by Alex00; 03-29-2010 at 11:05 PM.
03-29-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Alex00: Alex00 This thread is is about chromatic aberration vs distortion and about which is easier to correct. It's not about wide angle lenses. Wide angle lenses were mentioned later in the thread. Please read before you try to be a smart guy. It would've be helpful if you answered the thread rather then tell me what i posted before. As for the wanted ads, it's irrelevant to this thread. I didn't know that posting more then 1 wanted ad is prohibited.
Alex, you do not have to get so testy. I read and contributed to this thread, as well as the other one. The other thread discussed the 10-20 & Da 12-24 in depth, even distortions. I do not care how much time you spend posting threads on them--it is your choice.

I also did not understand why you are trying to buy both of them when you are not sure yet which one you want--according to this thread. Just looks like you are putting the cart before the horse. I never said anything was prohibitive.

Have fun and I hope you get the best lens for you.
03-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Alex, you do not have to get so testy. I read and contributed to this thread, as well as the other one. The other thread discussed the 10-20 & Da 12-24 in depth, even distortions. I do not care how much time you spend posting threads on them--it is your choice.

I also did not understand why you are trying to buy both of them when you are not sure yet which one you want--according to this thread. Just looks like you are putting the cart before the horse. I never said anything was prohibitive.

Have fun and I hope you get the best lens for you.
Again, This thread is not about Pentax or sigma. It's about CA vs Distortions and which is easier to correct. It would be great if we can stick to this subject. It's irrelevant to threads i posted before.
03-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
We'll let's say I'm looking at wide angle lens, between Pentax 12-24 and sigma 10-20. Pentax shows high CA low distortion where as Sigma shows Low CA high distortion. Both seems to have good IQ in the center.
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
Again, This thread is not about Pentax or sigma. It's about CA vs Distortions and which is easier to correct. It would be great if we can stick to this subject. It's irrelevant to threads i posted before.
Well, now I'm really lost!

It seems like Jeweltrail is just trying to say: discuss this all in one place. If these are the lenses you are considering, discuss all the points together, pluses, minuses, CA, distortion, etc.

The reviews are pretty decent on both of these. IMHO, too much time can be spent on the angels on the head of the pin, and not enough on using the pins to put something together; i.e., discussing the lenses to death instead of using them (or one or the other) in real life.

That given, I'd buy the lens with the less CA given the choice.

But, not every lens has much or any CA at every focal length (if a zoom) or at every aperture or in every light angle. Sometimes lighting conditions are very much to blame. So, again, life is a compromise. Lenses vary in distortion and CA over various settings/uses.

A car can have great handling but be hell to ride in or be soft riding and have excessive roll in a curve.
Life's like that with lots of choices. There often is no technically perfect answer.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 03-29-2010 at 11:41 PM.
03-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #13

Original Poster
Seems most prefer Low CA over distortions.
03-29-2010, 11:43 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the Pentax 12-24 a while back. Nice lens.
03-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

People, like lenses, are complicated. I knew I couldn't have it all, but I liked what I got with the P 12-24.