Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Which Lens to keep?

I acquired a new lens today and only wan to keep one in this focal range, which one should Keep?

SMC Pentax M f1.7 50mm
SMC Pentax A f1.7 50mm

Which one do the Pentaxians feel is better?

03-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
I acquired a new lens today and only wan to keep one in this focal range, which one should Keep?

SMC Pentax M f1.7 50mm
SMC Pentax A f1.7 50mm

Keep the A model. If nothing else, it will be much more convenient to use, as you can use all your camera's exposure modes and also PTTL for flash photography. With the older M lens, metering is more complicated, you loose matrix metering completely and no PTTL flash control either.

In terms of image quality, the A version is at least as good as the M version, if not better.

Ben
03-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

SMC Pentax M f1.7 50mm
SMC Pentax A f1.7 50mm?
Although the A version is the obvious answer, there is an argument for keeping the M version. The A version has greater resale value; and so if you don't care about the auto exposure features of the A, you might consider keeping the M.
03-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thats kinda what I was thinking... but I didnt know if there was a significant difference in the IQ between the 2....

03-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would keep the A lens unless you have an *istD or DS where you can use TTL flash on the M Lens/

If you have an *istD or DS then the M lens may be the better idea to keep based upon getting more as others suggest selling the A lens, If you don't, you give up not only Av mode but flash photography with the M lens, and an *istD or DS costs more than the difference between the M and A lenses when you sell.
03-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

SMC Pentax M f1.7 50mm
SMC Pentax A f1.7 50mm

Sell neither...shoot both and determine for yourself which one is better...and sell neither.

Sorry for repeating myself there, but that's how I feel.

A few extra shekels in your pocket now won't make up for the selling regret later.
03-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
I have a couple older bodies kicking around and I thought they'd be easier to get rid of with lenses.

So here is my thoguhts on how I am pairing them

Pentax Program Plus with SMC Pentax A f2 50mm

Pentax ME Super with Makinon f3.5 28-80mm

And I'll keep both of the f1.7

03-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

I have a couple older bodies kicking around and I thought they'd be easier to get rid of with lenses.

So here is my thoguhts on how I am pairing them

Pentax Program Plus with SMC Pentax A f2 50mm

Pentax ME Super with Makinon f3.5 28-80mm

And I'll keep both of the f1.7
That's better.
03-30-2010, 09:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The M, A, F, and FA 50/1.7 lenses are optically identical. Me, I just bought myself a nice FA 50/1.7 and sold my M-series lens of the same model
03-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

I never held M but I used to have F50/1.7 and for couple of days A50/1.7. Opticaly the Pentax 50/1.7 and 55/1.8 s are all great. And honestly out of those two I'd stick with A. I think A series is very good compromise in covenience and built quality....
03-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
The Kurly One:

Which Lens to keep?

SMC Pentax M f1.7 50mm
SMC Pentax A f1.7 50mm

I was once in this same situation. I could not find any appreiciable difference in IQ between the 2 lenses and, over time, found I much preferred working in the M mode. It just seems to complement manual focus. I really relish knowing I am putting the effort into the final product and not the electronics. So, it was an easy choice for me--I sold the A lens.

I easily see why keeping the A lens for flash is desirable, but the performance of f 1.7 on down is plenty good enough for me on the M lens that I never use flash with it anyway.

If I'm opting to shoot with a slower lens indoors, then flash becomes more important to me. Like so many questions posted here "Kurly One," it really depends upon you, but is so nice to have the choice. Happy Choosing!
03-30-2010, 08:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

i also had both, kept the A, much prefer using a flash with it (P-TTL) and just shooting in general, 1 less thing to manually do if i dont want to
03-31-2010, 04:27 PM   #13

Original Poster
Glad I decided to keep the A, it is a pleasure to use now that I am getting the hang of it. Its far sharper than the kit lens in the low light even fully open, thanks I'm sure to the faster shutter speeds. But I notice that the images are even sharper from f2.4 up....