Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Bokeh 50mm?

I'm no Bokeh master, but I've been getting interesting in this aspect of a lens, particularly in the 50mm range (or a APS equivalent focal length).

Suggestions? or your favs? It doesn't have to be expensive.

03-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The best 50s for bokeh will be the f1,4s out there (starting with the Takumars up to the FA) according to many. I have owned the A-50 f1,4 and the F-50 f1,7 and I will agree that the f,4 is marginally, very marginally better. There's a creamy effect that's not quite the same with the f1,7. But the latter is excellent in its own right, especially at wide apertures. The bokeh is creamy enough, even with busy backgrounds.

One type of lens, more expensive, but delivering even better results, is the 50 macro line. I own the FA 50 f2,8 macro and even though it's ludicrously sharp, the background is amazingly smooth. It's my best lens regarding bokeh. It's also normally quite expensive, except when you find a deal like I did
03-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Forum Member

A few shots

Here's a few shots of bokeh from my manual Sears 50mm f1.7, all shot wide open. I'm really in love with this cheapo lens!

- Sung
Attached Images

03-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For bokeh, the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 is excellent: "When looking at out-of-focus highlights the Nokton shows a bit of an outlining effect at f/1.4 and f/2 but it's gone by f/2.8. At f/4 (if you look hard also at f/2.8) there're already a few hints of a deteriorating circular aperture shape but then f/4 is probably not really a mainstream setting for such a lens. The focus transitions around the in-focus point are smooth in this test scene but the lens produced some less than optimal results in the field here - see the sample image section below." See full review at Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II - Review / Test Report.

The Nokton 58mm costs (new) about the same price as the Fa50mm f1.4. It is a superb lens ....

You may be interested by the recent poll on 50mm lenses among pentaxians:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/94382-if-you-c...-you-pick.html

03-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
For bokeh, the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 is excellent: "When looking at out-of-focus highlights the Nokton shows a bit of an outlining effect at f/1.4 and f/2 but it's gone by f/2.8. At f/4 (if you look hard also at f/2.8) there're already a few hints of a deteriorating circular aperture shape but then f/4 is probably not really a mainstream setting for such a lens. The focus transitions around the in-focus point are smooth in this test scene but the lens produced some less than optimal results in the field here - see the sample image section below." See full review at Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II - Review / Test Report.

The Nokton 58mm costs (new) about the same price as the Fa50mm f1.4. It is a superb lens ....

You may be interested by the recent poll on 50mm lenses among pentaxians:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/94382-if-you-c...-you-pick.html
Awww... too bad that's a Nikon lens ;(.... and... I have looked at that... ;P Going to check it out some more, thanks, Would like some more suggestions though ;D!
03-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The best 50s for bokeh will be the f1,4s out there (starting with the Takumars up to the FA) according to many. I have owned the A-50 f1,4 and the F-50 f1,7 and I will agree that the f,4 is marginally, very marginally better. There's a creamy effect that's not quite the same with the f1,7. But the latter is excellent in its own right, especially at wide apertures. The bokeh is creamy enough, even with busy backgrounds.

One type of lens, more expensive, but delivering even better results, is the 50 macro line. I own the FA 50 f2,8 macro and even though it's ludicrously sharp, the background is amazingly smooth. It's my best lens regarding bokeh. It's also normally quite expensive, except when you find a deal like I did
I guess that would be a good place to start for me... I'll stick with my Macro TC for now ;D so no FA 50 macro... for me.
03-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoo Quote
Here's a few shots of bokeh from my manual Sears 50mm f1.7, all shot wide open. I'm really in love with this cheapo lens!

- Sung
This is really pretty, I really like it hehe. Going to look for some right now... maybe...

03-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #8

I like my 50mm M 1.7. Bought it for $40 with a pentax me slr attached.

03-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoo Quote

- Sung
That's not really bokeh there.
03-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I thought bokeh was the OOF areas. If that's not bokeh, what is it? Now I'm confused....
03-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #11

wha?

Bokeh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
03-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, it most certainly is.
03-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I thought bokeh was the OOF areas. If that's not bokeh, what is it? Now I'm confused....
Bokeh is not just the out of focus area, because any lens can give you that.

And good and bad bokeh can be debated.

But, the simplest way to describe it is a creamy out of focus area with a preferred PATTERN to it--and it's consistent.

The image shown above with bright, huge and sharp geometric figures isn't bokeh--it's just light refraction. One of the other images with the out of focus background isn't bokeh either--it's just out of focus.

Bokeh looks like someone took the background and spread the paints with a butter knife.
03-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Awww... too bad that's a Nikon lens ;(.... and... I have looked at that... ;P Going to check it out some more, thanks, Would like some more suggestions though ;D!
The Voigtlanders are also available in P/K mount. The test was just of the Nikon mount version.
03-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
50mm cheap lens with a great bokeh, the K55/1.8 has a certain bokeh character that is different from it's other cheap 50mm cousins.

the manual focus Nokton 58mm is great as well, but it costs 10x of that of a K55.