Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Bokeh 50mm?

I'm no Bokeh master, but I've been getting interesting in this aspect of a lens, particularly in the 50mm range (or a APS equivalent focal length).

Suggestions? or your favs? It doesn't have to be expensive.

03-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,753
The best 50s for bokeh will be the f1,4s out there (starting with the Takumars up to the FA) according to many. I have owned the A-50 f1,4 and the F-50 f1,7 and I will agree that the f,4 is marginally, very marginally better. There's a creamy effect that's not quite the same with the f1,7. But the latter is excellent in its own right, especially at wide apertures. The bokeh is creamy enough, even with busy backgrounds.

One type of lens, more expensive, but delivering even better results, is the 50 macro line. I own the FA 50 f2,8 macro and even though it's ludicrously sharp, the background is amazingly smooth. It's my best lens regarding bokeh. It's also normally quite expensive, except when you find a deal like I did
03-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 68
A few shots

Here's a few shots of bokeh from my manual Sears 50mm f1.7, all shot wide open. I'm really in love with this cheapo lens!

- Sung
Attached Images
         
03-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,518
For bokeh, the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 is excellent: "When looking at out-of-focus highlights the Nokton shows a bit of an outlining effect at f/1.4 and f/2 but it's gone by f/2.8. At f/4 (if you look hard also at f/2.8) there're already a few hints of a deteriorating circular aperture shape but then f/4 is probably not really a mainstream setting for such a lens. The focus transitions around the in-focus point are smooth in this test scene but the lens produced some less than optimal results in the field here - see the sample image section below." See full review at Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II - Review / Test Report.

The Nokton 58mm costs (new) about the same price as the Fa50mm f1.4. It is a superb lens ....

You may be interested by the recent poll on 50mm lenses among pentaxians:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/94382-if-you-c...-you-pick.html

03-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
For bokeh, the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 is excellent: "When looking at out-of-focus highlights the Nokton shows a bit of an outlining effect at f/1.4 and f/2 but it's gone by f/2.8. At f/4 (if you look hard also at f/2.8) there're already a few hints of a deteriorating circular aperture shape but then f/4 is probably not really a mainstream setting for such a lens. The focus transitions around the in-focus point are smooth in this test scene but the lens produced some less than optimal results in the field here - see the sample image section below." See full review at Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II - Review / Test Report.

The Nokton 58mm costs (new) about the same price as the Fa50mm f1.4. It is a superb lens ....

You may be interested by the recent poll on 50mm lenses among pentaxians:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/94382-if-you-c...-you-pick.html
Awww... too bad that's a Nikon lens ;(.... and... I have looked at that... ;P Going to check it out some more, thanks, Would like some more suggestions though ;D!
03-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The best 50s for bokeh will be the f1,4s out there (starting with the Takumars up to the FA) according to many. I have owned the A-50 f1,4 and the F-50 f1,7 and I will agree that the f,4 is marginally, very marginally better. There's a creamy effect that's not quite the same with the f1,7. But the latter is excellent in its own right, especially at wide apertures. The bokeh is creamy enough, even with busy backgrounds.

One type of lens, more expensive, but delivering even better results, is the 50 macro line. I own the FA 50 f2,8 macro and even though it's ludicrously sharp, the background is amazingly smooth. It's my best lens regarding bokeh. It's also normally quite expensive, except when you find a deal like I did
I guess that would be a good place to start for me... I'll stick with my Macro TC for now ;D so no FA 50 macro... for me.
03-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scarborough, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 488
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoo Quote
Here's a few shots of bokeh from my manual Sears 50mm f1.7, all shot wide open. I'm really in love with this cheapo lens!

- Sung
This is really pretty, I really like it hehe. Going to look for some right now... maybe...
03-29-2010, 05:34 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 133
I like my 50mm M 1.7. Bought it for $40 with a pentax me slr attached.



03-29-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoo Quote
Here's a few shots of bokeh from my manual Sears 50mm f1.7, all shot wide open. I'm really in love with this cheapo lens!

- Sung
That's not really bokeh there.
03-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member
twokatmew's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lansing, MI
Photos: Albums
Posts: 509
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
That's not really bokeh there.
I thought bokeh was the OOF areas. If that's not bokeh, what is it? Now I'm confused....
03-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 133
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
That's not really bokeh there.
wha?

Bokeh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
03-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
That's not really bokeh there.
Yes, it most certainly is.
03-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
QuoteOriginally posted by twokatmew Quote
I thought bokeh was the OOF areas. If that's not bokeh, what is it? Now I'm confused....
Bokeh is not just the out of focus area, because any lens can give you that.

And good and bad bokeh can be debated.

But, the simplest way to describe it is a creamy out of focus area with a preferred PATTERN to it--and it's consistent.

The image shown above with bright, huge and sharp geometric figures isn't bokeh--it's just light refraction. One of the other images with the out of focus background isn't bokeh either--it's just out of focus.

Bokeh looks like someone took the background and spread the paints with a butter knife.
03-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
Awww... too bad that's a Nikon lens ;(.... and... I have looked at that... ;P Going to check it out some more, thanks, Would like some more suggestions though ;D!
The Voigtlanders are also available in P/K mount. The test was just of the Nikon mount version.
03-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
50mm cheap lens with a great bokeh, the K55/1.8 has a certain bokeh character that is different from it's other cheap 50mm cousins.

the manual focus Nokton 58mm is great as well, but it costs 10x of that of a K55.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bokeh, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference in bokeh 50mm SMC-A pyra_ohms Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 07-27-2010 01:39 PM
Bokeh Experiments - 50mm f1.7 Manual Mark Morb Post Your Photos! 2 06-14-2009 06:28 AM
50mm 2.8 Bokeh bwield Post Your Photos! 0 07-27-2008 06:24 PM
bokeh! FA 50mm 1.4 darthku Post Your Photos! 6 04-14-2008 08:32 PM
FA 50mm f/1.4 bokeh and sharpness - an accidental study m8o Post Your Photos! 3 02-11-2008 05:15 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top