Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 04:47 AM   #1

New K7 owner with LBA (normal-short tele)

In the mid 80s, when I still was in high school, my grandfather handed down his old Pentax Super A with two primes and a zoom to me. It was my first camera and it served me well for a decade until the metering started to misbehave and could not be trusted any more. I considered switching to a digital camera for many years but never got around to do it until a year and a half ago when I bought a Leica D-Lux 4. The camera has been perfect for me so far with excellent portability (I bring it everywhere) and surprisingly good IQ. However, in some situations I miss a shallow DOF, faster AF, better low-light performance, longer reach or weather sealings.

The K7 seems to be a perfect match and yesterday I finally pulled the trigger and ordered one online. It will arrive later this week and I am very excited!

The coming weeks I will get to know the ins and outs of the K7 using the kit lens and my old A28/2.8 and A50/2 but expect to still bring the Leica with me. Even if the K7 and lenses are small they will be too heavy to bring on my daily commutes.

My question now is what lenses I should get next? I know it may be a bit early, especially since I even haven't received the camera yet, but I would like to make a plan. The top priority for me is to get a short tele for portraits that can be used both indoors at social events or in my future home studio, and outdoors for taking candids of kids playing. Candidates are DA* 55/1.4 (my initial plan), DA* 55-135/2.8 (maybe best for outdoor action shots) and FA 77/1.8 (maybe best for studio use).

In the wider end I think I will be pretty much covered for now by the kit lens (18-55), the MF primes (28, 50) and the Leica (24-60 in 35mm equiv.). For street and landscape I am sure I will upgrade to a Ltd and/or a zoom (maybe the DA* 16-50) down the road but to begin with I am very tempted by the DA 10-17 to go even wider than what I can do today.

Does it make sense? Anyway, I'm thrilled to (very, very soon) be back with a Pentax!

05-04-2010, 02:08 AM   #2

Original Poster
I have now been using the K-7 for a month (love it) and have decided to sell the Leica, keep the kit lens for skiing/rain and buy a troika of limiteds: FA77, FA 31 and DA15. Maybe a DA*200 after that.
05-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would strongly think about the DA *50-135. It is a pretty amazing lens.
05-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would be wary of just getting lenses because they are amazing You'll end up with a lot of glass that way.

The A28 is a pretty great lens, and the A50 f2 is good enough, though not as good as the wider versions.

You weem to be building a good lineup with the limiteds. I suggest you experiment with the focal lengths you have, find the ones you prefer using, then (if necessary) complete your lineup with lenses in that range. For instance, if you find yourself using the 15 and the 77 the most, and want a zoom to serve the same role (not as good but more convenient) then something like the Pentax or Sigma 17-70s would be the best choice. If you want weather resistance, a faster wide zoom, a strong tele, the advice will be different.

05-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would strongly think about the DA *50-135. It is a pretty amazing lens.
Second the motion. There are some shots with this lens (which the OP mentions as being on his want list in the original post) on my Flickr site in my signature. Even if the AF goes away a second time, I will keep it for its image quality. It will make a great manual focus lens. Even now, sometimes it does.