Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2007, 03:21 AM   #1

Lens Hood

Does anyone know where I can get a lens hood for my FA 50mm f1.4? I keep getting weird light effects that arise due to the large aperture. I believe a lens hood would overcome thins. What do you think?

07-15-2007, 03:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe you can make one yourself?

Free printable cardboard lens hoods
07-15-2007, 04:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Takumar 135mm metal hood from the 'old days'. Due to the crop of the digital sensor the hood doesn't vignette. If it was on film it would be too long for this lens. It is a screw mount on the front filter and won't allow the lens cap to be used so you take it off then the lens is not in use. But I have a 1A fiter on the lens and have used a CPL with it as well so filters are not an issue. I picked it up on Ebay for $5. Very satisfied with the result. There are many others as well, the collapsible rubber ones and the snap on plastic ones. They are also fairly cheap ($10 +/-) and can be found in most camera shops.

So if you don't mind screwing the hood on and off then the metal version is great.
07-15-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Jessops sell rubber ones of various thread sizes for about £5. I just bought a 58mm one from a local shop for my recently aquired 75-300mm Miranda PK.

07-15-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Go to those clearance camera shop or the second hand section and see if you can pick up some used screw on metal hoods. Those things are nice and look sharp.

The rubber hoods are good too but don't offer as much flare coverage.

Actually, I'd exercise some caution. Since your have the FA 50, adding a hood is more weight on the lens column which means slightly more resistance on your in-camera's AF motor. To be safe, I'd use MF while you have a hood on.