Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
50mm with Macro TC

I'm going to be using a 50mm lens with a macro TC (auto version)

I plan to also use this lens with my K-X and my K1000 with or without the TC

I don't plan on spending more than $200 though.

I would like some pretty good/decent looking bokeh ;D.

I need something that can be sharp too.

Anything under 2 so... 1.7/1.4.

Some lenses that I have in mind are... FA 50mm f1.4 (not sure if the AF would work in the TC) and some M and A lenses.

I would prefer to stick to Pentax.

03-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
I'm going to be using a 50mm lens with a macro TC (auto version)

I plan to also use this lens with my K-X and my K1000 with or without the TC

I don't plan on spending more than $200 though.

I would like some pretty good/decent looking bokeh ;D.

I need something that can be sharp too.

Anything under 2 so... 1.7/1.4.

Some lenses that I have in mind are... FA 50mm f1.4 (not sure if the AF would work in the TC) and some M and A lenses.

I would prefer to stick to Pentax.
You should probably note which TC it is. There are many available for the K mount (used of course). The TC is the Vivitar 2x Macro focusing, PK/A. No, this TC will not autofocus so if your desire in buying an FA lens to use with it, it will be like spinning tires on a grease slick. The TC will allow you to do auto everything else though so you can use Aperture priority (with an A or later lens). That isn't to say that an FA50 wouldn't be a good lens to have but for a TC, the autofocus is a waste of money. It was my experience that the best performers on this particular type of TC was the A50 f1.4 though the 1.7 is no slouch.

03-31-2010, 01:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You may find that AF is wasted in macro work. Since you say you want a 50mm prime, I assume you'll be shooting in a studio, where hopefully your eensy weensy subjects won't run off. (50mm is a bit short for most field work.) Macro shots have razor-thin DOF anyway, and you'll want to focus carefully, manually. Using a non-AF TC will disable matrix focusing and focal point selection, so focus confirmation only works at the center point. Bother. I think you'll find that many folks doing 50mm macro work use the cheap, brilliant Industar-50 f/3.5 on M42 tubes, and spend a lot less than your budget. Like, the high end on lens plus tubes is maybe US$50. Have fun.
03-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You should probably note which TC it is. There are many available for the K mount (used of course). The TC is the Vivitar 2x Macro focusing, PK/A. No, this TC will not autofocus so if your desire in buying an FA lens to use with it, it will be like spinning tires on a grease slick. The TC will allow you to do auto everything else though so you can use Aperture priority (with an A or later lens). That isn't to say that an FA50 wouldn't be a good lens to have but for a TC, the autofocus is a waste of money. It was my experience that the best performers on this particular type of TC was the A50 f1.4 though the 1.7 is no slouch.

Yeah I was thinking of an A50 F1.4 or 1.7. FA 50 would still work though right? (dumb question... but can you manual focus a FA 50? I was considering the M line as well. Yeah I'm just basically looking for some okay fast 50mm okay bokeh lens. Where the doubled function would be being able to be used as a macro on the Vivitar 2x Macro TC PK/A. Everyone needs a good 50mm ;D!

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
You may find that AF is wasted in macro work. Since you say you want a 50mm prime, I assume you'll be shooting in a studio, where hopefully your eensy weensy subjects won't run off. (50mm is a bit short for most field work.) Macro shots have razor-thin DOF anyway, and you'll want to focus carefully, manually. Using a non-AF TC will disable matrix focusing and focal point selection, so focus confirmation only works at the center point. Bother. I think you'll find that many folks doing 50mm macro work use the cheap, brilliant Industar-50 f/3.5 on M42 tubes, and spend a lot less than your budget. Like, the high end on lens plus tubes is maybe US$50. Have fun.
Hmm... with the Vivitar 2x Macro TC PK/A wouldn't it turn a 50mm lens into a 100mm macro? (sorry I didn't specify). I wouldn't use AF much in macro anyways, I don't need it, but it would be fun to have. As a normal 50mm lens though, it wouldn't help to have one. Eh, ;( I already bought the TC... so I don't think I will be switching to tubes anytime soon. Yeah I would save my money. I am looking for a fast 50mm lens while I'm at it though so I'm going to spend a bit.

Thanks for the info though, maybe I'll consider this in the future

Yeah, I never knew that a 50mm macro would most likely be used in a studio. Bugs are afraid of me ;(.

03-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you can manual focus the FA lenses. I Personally do not care for them however (except for the LTD lenses) because the throw of the focus ring is so short. The focus ring/mechanism doesn't feel very nice to me either. That's a pretty nit-picky thing to say about them but it's why I've sold every one I've ever owned. Many here will likely disagree with me on that.

03-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Yes, you can manual focus the FA lenses. I Personally do not care for them however (except for the LTD lenses) because the throw of the focus ring is so short. The focus ring/mechanism doesn't feel very nice to me either. That's a pretty nit-picky thing to say about them but it's why I've sold every one I've ever owned. Many here will likely disagree with me on that.

Yeah... I do prefer the A and M styled Focus... even though I've never tried a FA focus. I guess if I were to get a FA might as well get a DA (though it has no backwards compatibility).

Hmm... A 1.4 or 1.7.... that is the question. (maybe Ms?)
03-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #7

I love my 50 and 100mm M series f4 macro. Here's a couple examples of what it could do.

1:1, i think with 50mm of extension tubes

1:2 with no extension tubes, bird was less than arms length

I got lucky by getting the 100mm lens for $100, 50mm for $63. Extension tubes for $30.

also here's my M series 50mm f4 macro, handheld

hope this helps

Last edited by angelo9978; 03-31-2010 at 04:48 PM.