Rigolettissimo, ultimatum rigoletto.

Cheers!

Abbazz

03-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
OK, I won't say it here because it seems to hurt the feelings of many. Let's reformulate the proposition: the 77/1.8 is not a bad lens (I haven't sold mine yet ) but it is excellent only at portrait. For landscape work, you need to stop down a good deal, otherwise corner sharpness becomes an issue, while longitudinal chromatic aberration turns tree branches into green or purple ghosts against the bright sky. It's even worse if you are shooting indoors concerts or performances, because purple fringes appear all around the stage lights and specular reflections. And, because of the limited available light, you don't even have the resource to stop down.
Abbazz
It is not hard feelings, but just that what you are posting is very strongly stated and completely at odds with our experience.
03-31-2010, 07:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm new to Pentax, and haven't yet had a chance to shoot with a 77 Limited. But I will say that I wish my DA 70 had an aperture ring.

As for MF v. AF . . . I like horses, but I like some cars, too. (Anyone have a Peugeot 404 they want to get rid of?) But I think the manual transmission / automatic transmission comparison is the better one.

Right now, the DA 70 is the only AF lens I carry on a regular basis.

I'm happy with it, but I sure wish I could have afforded a 77. . . .
03-31-2010, 07:24 PM   #19
Inactive Account

I'm not going to argue with you. You don't like the FA77 - great. Enjoy your Voigt. I'm sure it's a wonderful lens too.

Enjoy your thread.

c[_]

03-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

OK, I won't say it here because it seems to hurt the feelings of many. Let's reformulate the proposition: the 77/1.8 is not a bad lens (I haven't sold mine yet ) but it is excellent only at portrait. For landscape work, you need to stop down a good deal, otherwise corner sharpness becomes an issue, while longitudinal chromatic aberration turns tree branches into green or purple ghosts against the bright sky. It's even worse if you are shooting indoors concerts or performances, because purple fringes appear all around the stage lights and specular reflections. And, because of the limited available light, you don't even have the resource to stop down.

Cheers!

Abbazz
Sir, I'm convinced you are either a complete beginner or a troll.

First off who uses long lenses for landscapes? AFAIK landscapes are the domain of wide angles.

Also, precisely when shooting landscapes, we stop down a lot to get maximum DOF.

Lastly, show me a fast lens that doesn't have PF wide open. For example the Canon 50mm f1.2 costs the price of 2 77mm and has absolutely hideous PF wide open.
03-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It is not hard feelings, but just that what you are posting is very strongly stated and completely at odds with our experience.
I have used the 77 Ltd a lot and I appreciate its results as a portrait lens. Many people use it only for this purpose and love it for the results they get.

As I travel a lot, I am always looking for a good compact telephoto to carry in my bag. I was very fond of my 77 Ltd when I used it on film cameras. When I bought my first *ist D, I brought the 77 Ltd along for a few trips. I found it disappointing to use as a general purpose lens, mainly because of the bad longitudinal chromatic aberration, which became much more visible on digital pictures. Most people don't care about those green or purple fringes -- and most testers and reviewers don't even care to look for them -- but I find them very unsightly. And, yes, they do show even on medium sized prints, it's not only a pixel peeper obsession.

I you are happy with your 77 Ltd, then you don't need to take my opinion into account. But you have to understand that there are people who might prefer using other lenses,

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-31-2010, 07:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Acctually, plz notice that the 43 Ltd can also be used as portrait lens if you want. So...
03-31-2010, 07:44 PM   #23
Pentaxian

This thread got me curious, so I went looking for "problems", something I normally don't do.
Out of the 1830 images that Lightroom classifies as having been taken with the 77mm lens, I found a few that had some purple fringing.
These were pictures of my Rottweiler lying in a snowdrift chewing on a stick.
Hard pictures for any lens.
I was able to mostly make it go away using the CA tools in Lightroom, certainly I got it to the point that in a print it wouldn't be visible.

For me, purple fringing isn't an issue, which takes me to other qualities of the 77. I notice that I use it for everything from landscapes to portraits, and it serves me well.
It is startlingly sharp and has excellent out of focus rendering, making it an ideal short telephoto.
As for it being better than the 70LTD, it's a bit of a crap shoot. I have both lenses, use them virtually interchangeably, and don't notice much to say about them that is different.
The 77 is nearly a stop faster, which is an advantage from time to time.

03-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
First off who uses long lenses for landscapes? AFAIK landscapes are the domain of wide angles.

I do, actually.
Landscapes aren't just about vista type pictures. I find the typical wide angle landscape to be about as interesting as mashed peas. Living on the praries might have something to do with this.

I do stop down quite far though.
03-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Also, precisely when shooting landscapes, we stop down a lot to get maximum DOF.

Agreed.

Lastly, show me a fast lens that doesn't have PF wide open. For example the Canon 50mm f1.2 costs the price of 2 77mm and has absolutely hideous PF wide open.
I can make just about any lens PF on a DSLR.

As for the FL and landscapes, that would depend on the landscape.

Click to pixel peep.

It depends on what I want to highlight in the landscape. Even in an Industrial landscape.

03-31-2010, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Sure! And make sure you set the mode selector on "Landscape" too .

Yep. My advice: always use F/11 with a 10mm lens focused on 0.5m for landscape. You won't even need to focus and your nice wide pictures will be sharp from 0.25m to infinity .

The Voigtländer 125/2.5 is fast (for a 125mm lens) and totally devoid of purple fringing and longitudinal chromatic aberration. True apochromatic lenses can be even more expensive than the Canon F/1.2, despite a more limited aperture. That's why I prefer the Voigtländer 90/3.5. It's not a fast lens but the price is not excessive, it's reasonably compact and, to me, it's a more versatile lens than a "portrait" telephoto.

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me, the DA 70 is indeed a better lens, but I was rather thinking of the Cosina-Voigtländer SL 90/3.5.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Ahhh, yes...The V 90/3.5. Great lens indeed with virtually no CA. Not the best to come out of C/V, but good none-the-less. Would I trade my 77 LTD for it? Nope...
  • A little long for my taste
  • A little slow as well
  • A little big
  • A little heavy
Price on the SL I versions is pretty good if you can find a copy (discontinued), though from what I have seen it has precious little pixie dust.

Steve

BTW...CA? PF yes, but CA? Lateral is very low and Longitudinal is the price you pay for speed. Fortunately, LoCA does not cause wholesale image degradation like LaCA and is easily corrected in PP...

Also BTW...According to Klaus, the SL 90/3.5 has PF and he posts a picture to prove it (LINK). Corner resolution is also about the same as the "soft" FA 77...

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-31-2010 at 09:07 PM.
03-31-2010, 09:07 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Could anyone tell me what is CA and PF?
03-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
Could anyone tell me what is CA and PF?
If you've seen it, you'll know it. Both typically happen against a very light background (overcast sky for instance). PF, Purple Fringing, is just what it's name implies..

The reason a lot of people don't like the Tamron 70-300 zoom...

CA, Chromatic Aberration, will show as a colored shadow around object in a similar setting to the photo above. With the 77, it is often greenish in color.

That is, if I'm not backwards on the definitions.......

03-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #30
Site Supporter

Why would one compare the Voightlander 90mm I or II to the FA 77mm rather than the Voightlander 75mm f2.5? The 90 would be more close to the M 85mm f2 while the 75 is in between the 70mm and 77mm ltd.