04-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #46
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great postprocessing skills everyone.

04-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Yes, but...

Are we saying that the fine pictures posted here couldn't have been produced by other lenses? I just sold my 77 because I felt it was over-rated. Go ahead and trash me but I consistently got (and get) better results out of my DA*55. The 3-D effect is definitely there, wonderful bokeh, and SHARP. A "magic" portrait lens if there ever was one. Not to mention weather-sealed. Now, is it as wonderful to hold in my hand or look at as the 77? Certainly not. It also doesn't have the seductive cachet of that "Limited" title. That's why it took me almost a year of not using it to finally be able to part with it. And no, mine didn't seem to have any issues with focus or anything else. I guess my point is this. No one can reasonably dispute that the 77 can produce great images. But maybe, just maybe, it can't do it as reliably as another lens in the bag of shooters who are selling this lens, and for me that's the DA*55. If you MUST have the same focal length, then anyone who discounts what the 50-135 can do is kidding themselves. Zooms these days are light-years better than they used to be, and the 50-135 is the lens that "lives" on my K7. Just my 2 pennies.
04-29-2010, 10:15 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Are we saying that the fine pictures posted here couldn't have been produced by other lenses? I just sold my 77 because I felt it was over-rated. Go ahead and trash me but I consistently got (and get) better results out of my DA*55. The 3-D effect is definitely there, wonderful bokeh, and SHARP. A "magic" portrait lens if there ever was one. Not to mention weather-sealed. Now, is it as wonderful to hold in my hand or look at as the 77? Certainly not. It also doesn't have the seductive cachet of that "Limited" title. That's why it took me almost a year of not using it to finally be able to part with it. And no, mine didn't seem to have any issues with focus or anything else. I guess my point is this. No one can reasonably dispute that the 77 can produce great images. But maybe, just maybe, it can't do it as reliably as another lens in the bag of shooters who are selling this lens, and for me that's the DA*55. If you MUST have the same focal length, then anyone who discounts what the 50-135 can do is kidding themselves. Zooms these days are light-years better than they used to be, and the 50-135 is the lens that "lives" on my K7. Just my 2 pennies.

you have a point regarding pro-grade zooms when it comes to IQ. but the fact is, zooms can't do better than f/2.8. there are things that a faster lens can do that an f/2.8 can't.

if you are able to get better results with the DA55, then I'm glad you found the lens that satisfy your needs. but just because that you find the FA77 overrated for you, makes those who have or want the lens to be out of their minds. both lenses are great and meet the specific needs of the individual. a person could say the the DA55 is better, while the other says the FA77 is better.

I dont own both lenses, but I had tried them. and IMO and basing from the images I saw, I prefer the FA77 better. and yes, I had taken good and bad pictures with both lenses as well.
04-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not selling even if I don't use it much... unless of course I switch brands (which is not likely anytime soon).

04-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #50
Site Supporter

But you guys also keep forgetting that for ever used FA 77mm in the market place there is a buyer. I don't have a concern for an SDM failure in the back of my mind like I do for the DA* 300mm either. Your over-rated argument is a valid opinion but the same thing could be said of any ltd or * lens.
04-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Are we saying that the fine pictures posted here couldn't have been produced by other lenses? I just sold my 77 because I felt it was over-rated. Go ahead and trash me but I consistently got (and get) better results out of my DA*55.
I will not trash you but will state my simple point of view.

The DA*55 does not inspire me; the FA77 does. Build, ergonomics, portability, etc. I would rather have this than almost any other lens I could think of. Yes, I get shots with this lens I would not get with the FA*85 or the DA*50-135 or... whatever. Because the FA77 is there with me at all times. A heavier bulkier lens is stuck back home.
04-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
True. I would never use it for flowers.
That was a flower "portrait".

QuoteQuote:
I would never shoot against the sky.
That's "with" the sky, not "against" the sky.

QuoteQuote:
Oh I know. For example, it's impossible to coax it to do macro.
That is "audio", not macro.

QuoteQuote:
Yes, I would never use it for concerts.
Sorry, again, that's "performance".

Keep trying. With a little practice and technique, you'll get there :-)
04-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Are we saying that the fine pictures posted here couldn't have been produced by other lenses? I just sold my 77 because I felt it was over-rated. Go ahead and trash me but I consistently got (and get) better results out of my DA*55.
Someone can correct me if I'm mistaken here, but I think the DA*55 and FA77 were both designed by the same lens designer at Pentax. (I can't at the moment recall his name, but he recently retired) Furthermore, they're both premium portrait lenses, so I guess it doesn't surprise me that people would favor either one or the other. It's mostly a matter of personal preference.

As for the Limiteds being overrated, I think sometimes they are, in the sense that they were not forged on Mt. Olympus with Zeus' lightning bolts. People get a little carried away some times when talking about them. They're really good lenses, though.

04-29-2010, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote

As for the Limiteds being overrated, I think sometimes they are, in the sense that they were not forged on Mt. Olympus with Zeus' lightning bolts. People get a little carried away some times when talking about them. They're really good lenses, though.

It's well-known that the DA 15ltd was born in the ether and delivered via whirlwind.

The FA 77ltd was forged in mount doom. If you try to destroy it, you'll find you can't. (Go ahead, try.)

Eventually, the 77ltd will cause you to become a burned-out, emaciated husk of a person, living in a cave, muttering to yourself and eating raw fish. But before that happens, you'll get some very good images.

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-29-2010 at 12:39 PM.
04-29-2010, 12:45 PM   #55
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

It's well-known that the DA 15ltd was born in the ether and delivered via whirlwind.

The FA 77ltd was forged in mount doom. If you try to destroy it, you'll find you can't. (Go ahead, try.)

Eventually, the 77ltd will cause you to become a burned-out, emaciated husk of a person, living in a cave, muttering to yourself and eating raw fish. But before that happens, you'll get some very good images.

See, posts like this one is why everyone loves you J!

c[_]

P.S. The images you post are pretty OK too!
04-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Pentaxor, I never said that everyone who has or wants the 77 is out of their minds. At least I think that's what you're saying I said. Perhaps you were so angry when you were typing that you couldn't see straight.
04-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #57
Site Supporter

This thread now has a warning label. sarcasm
04-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #58

Probably because, with the retail price so high (particularly in the UK), the used price owners can get for these is enough to fund another lens (or very nearly two lenses) they might use more often.
04-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Lots of great pictures in this thread. Apparently, a good challenge brings the nice pictures out of the hard disks!

Now, if you dare to look at this picture from jsherman999 carefully, you will see one of the defects that I find sometimes quite annoying with the 77 Ltd, namely the longitudinal chromatic aberration that produces those ugly green halos in the background (look at the out of focus twigs -- the bokeh is not so great either):

Of course it's not visible on every picture and, as I said before, this lens is nonetheless capable of delivering great results. I just that I've had a few bad surprises with it that have led me not to trust it anymore. When I need a lens that delivers 100% of the time, I use my Voigtländer. But that's just me.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 04-30-2010 at 07:26 AM.
04-30-2010, 08:10 AM   #60
Pentaxian

when I use my 77mm for the first time, and after my gf look at my pictures -- she said "you should just use this lens ONLY". It just take better pictures with this lens -- the IQ of the camera seem to increase a lot when it look through this lens...

what can I say.... I really like this lens. I am even thinking of getting silver version of this lens.

But I don't mind other saying this lens is overrated as well --- maybe it will drive the price down and I can score a silver one.