Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I am curious.. why so many people is selling their FA 77mm

To me, it is an excellence lens, my favorite one of the three FA Ltd, though I recognize I seldom use it.
But such a beautiful bokeh, how can resist...
Actually, the FA Ltd lens "was" my final target of my LBA, I think I may keep my pocket tight for a long time...

03-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
To me, it is an excellence lens, my favorite one of the three FA Ltd, though I recognize I seldom use it.
Actually, the FA Ltd lens "was" my final target of my LBA, I think I may keep my pocket tight for a long time...
you answered your own question. Seldom use.

Now if only I could score one for cheap
03-30-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote

I have not noticed that this was happening

For me I would have to be switching brands before I would ever consider selling any of my lenses let alone one of the Ltds.

cheers

Neil
03-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've noticed that there are almost always 1 or 2 in the market place. However, with used lenses, when someone is selling, someone is buying and the prices are holding on them.

03-31-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The FA 77 Ltd is rather disappointing when used on digital cameras. It's not that sharp in the corners unless stopped down to at least F/4. It also exibits lots of purple fringing and longitudinal chromatic aberration. If you don't need the F1.8 aperture, there are better lenses available for less money.

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-31-2010, 03:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Times are tight and some folks may need to squeeze some cash out of the kit: selling a 77mm gets you a chunk of change.
03-31-2010, 03:46 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
The FA 77 Ltd is rather disappointing when used on digital cameras. It's not that sharp in the corners unless stopped down to at least F/4. It also exibits lots of purple fringing and longitudinal chromatic aberration. If you don't need the F1.8 aperture, there are better lenses available for less money.

Cheers!

Abbazz
I'll give you the purple fringing, but "rather disappointing" on digital - I don't think so. As for CA - this isn't an issue with the latest firmware on the K7.

What "better" lenses are you referring to that cost less? Please don't tell me the DA70...

c[_]

03-31-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I'll give you the purple fringing, but "rather disappointing" on digital - I don't think so. As for CA - this isn't an issue with the latest firmware on the K7.

What "better" lenses are you referring to that cost less? Please don't tell me the DA70...

c[_]
To me, the DA 70 is indeed a better lens, but I was rather thinking of the Cosina-Voigtländer SL 90/3.5.

Cheers!

Abbazz
03-31-2010, 05:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I own both the DA 70 and FA77. I would not say the DA70 is a "better" lens. It is a different lens with a different use and character.

The FA77 is the nicest portrait lens I have owned. For people, it can't be beat, especially wider than F:4. It is one of those lenses that I have a hard time using to take a bad picture--and it is superb and easy to use on film or digital.

The DA70 is a perfect match to a small digital body like the K-x. It is sharp at all apertures across its field of coverage, but that field is smaller. It is usable on film (newer bodies, only), but does not shine with that medium. It is well suited to travel and landscape, but it does not have the FA77 "magic" for portraiture.

I can see why someone who badly needed money would sell the FA77 after getting the DA70 because it fetches more money. Mine will not be on the block any time soon.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-31-2010 at 05:43 PM.
03-31-2010, 05:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Cheers!

Abbazz

I can't disagree more.

At high apertures, the Pentax 77ltd shows no more PF than my Nikon 85 1.8 or the 85 1.4 I've used.

The 77ltd is one of the best if not the best lens I've shot on digital in two mounts.

Here's a link where I ---> tell people to stop trying to make me sell mine.

03-31-2010, 06:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Noone can take my 77Ltd away from me... NOONE!
03-31-2010, 07:00 AM   #12
Inactive Account

To me, the DA 70 is indeed a better lens, but I was rather thinking of the Cosina-Voigtländer SL 90/3.5.

Cheers!

Abbazz
I'm fairly certain the Voigtlander is a MF lens, is it not? I could likely buy a Tak 85mm f/1.8 or 1.9 for a couple of hundred dollars too (i.e. half of what FA77 costs), but that's like comparing a horse (MF) to a car (AF).

If the FA77 isn't your bag - that's cool. But, don't say that it's an inferior lens when it clearly isn't.

c[_]
03-31-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have dreams about the day when i can own the 77. The pictures that I see look amazing. I just bought the Da 70 and I still want the 77.
03-31-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . .

Cheers!

Abbazz

That's the funniest things I've read all week. Hysterical
03-31-2010, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I'm fairly certain the Voigtlander is a MF lens, is it not? I could likely buy a Tak 85mm f/1.8 or 1.9 for a couple of hundred dollars too (i.e. half of what FA77 costs), but that's like comparing a horse (MF) to a car (AF).
It's rather like comparing a manual gear to an automatic car. I prefer manual. I rarely use autofocus and especially on telephoto lenses because I think I can focus more accurately by hand -- wide angles are different animals when used on SLRs because focusing on the ground glass is a pain in the neck. Back to our topic, the Voigtländer 90/3.5 is also better optically than the manual focus Takumar lenses, either the 85/1.9 or the better 85/1.8.

If the FA77 isn't your bag - that's cool. But, don't say that it's an inferior lens when it clearly isn't.
OK, I won't say it here because it seems to hurt the feelings of many. Let's reformulate the proposition: the 77/1.8 is not a bad lens (I haven't sold mine yet ) but it is excellent only at portrait. For landscape work, you need to stop down a good deal, otherwise corner sharpness becomes an issue, while longitudinal chromatic aberration turns tree branches into green or purple ghosts against the bright sky. It's even worse if you are shooting indoors concerts or performances, because purple fringes appear all around the stage lights and specular reflections. And, because of the limited available light, you don't even have the resource to stop down.

Cheers!

Abbazz