Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'm not putting down Pentax here, however I've been told by several people that some of those Canon FD mount lenses rival, and even beat their Zeiss equivalents.
noted. but lens compatibility is also an issue. aside from that, what IQ parameters are being considered in using FD lenses. and I believe ultra-sharpness is not the only thing that people look for in a lens.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 04-01-2010 at 09:30 AM.
04-01-2010, 05:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*waving.* Another FD shooter, here, (There's more than a few of us, orphaned as we were by the EOS mount. )

There isn't a very practical way to adapt, clearly, though you can share screwmount lenses between the systems with a 'P' adapter for the Canon bodies. Canon really had a thing for preserving stopped-down metering, which is convenient for this: even my AE-1P can do it, and it's a native language to the F-series.

If you decided to try a micro system, consider what lenses you have, and what the different crop factors will make of their fields of view. On a DSLR the crop factor may make a lot of those FD lenses less useful before whatever other issues an adapter introduces, so it may not be so worthwhile, ...on like Micro 4/3 with a 2x crop, you kind of have to like things really tight. (for instance, my lovely old 35/2 with the concave glass would become a pretty unimpressive 70mm equivalent there, not to mention a pretty bizarre weight balance. For my purposes, I might wait to see how the Samsung NX series turns out to be, if I were in the market for that.

But, really, a K-x and a couple of DA lenses isn't very heavy or bulky at all: you could just carry in the same bag as your old Canons if you want to be shooting film with that glass as well.

I'm still split between: I have a couple of nice lenses for the Pentax film and digital, not quite what I have for FD, so I can carry a lot of film and a little digital, or a lot of Pentax and tuck a Pentax film body in the bag. It isn't so bad. (I don't really use a lot of different focal lengths at once, myself, anyway. Once I get hold of a Pentax 77 or 85, (my favorite range for film) it'll just be a matter of choice. )

There's things you can do.
04-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I'm not putting down Pentax here, however I've been told by several people that some of those Canon FD mount lenses rival, and even beat their Zeiss equivalents.
This much is true, but i think there's usually something in Pentax mount that'll make one happy. If Canon had started producing like a 5d in FD mount out of the goodness of their hearts, I probably wouldn't be here, (I'd be missing out, though. Like, on here. as well as having AF when I need it,) but it'd be just a matter of drop it in bag and go.
04-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
6) Buy an FD to K adapter canon FD adapter to Pentax K200D K110D K7 Kx Km K2000 - eBay (item 200453836000 end time Apr-22-10 22:21:11 PDT)
Sure it has some optical lens element so you will get some degradation of optical quality, but it doesn't cost more than that it is worth testing.
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I didn't know they made an FD to K adapter. I knew about the Nikon F/AI to K adapter.

This one's even cheaper

Optics glass Canon FD lens mount To Pentax PK Adapter - eBay (item 320499348709 end time Apr-08-10 09:57:33 PDT)
hmmm might have to try out and see how they work

i was just looking to save money by not having to buy all new lenses but it seems that is what i have to do. guess a few weeks in the garage sale circuit coupled with a few in the thrift stores. i might be set

04-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
6) Buy an FD to K adapter canon FD adapter to Pentax K200D K110D K7 Kx Km K2000 - eBay (item 200453836000 end time Apr-22-10 22:21:11 PDT)
Sure it has some optical lens element so you will get some degradation of optical quality, but it doesn't cost more than that it is worth testing.
I decided to try this, mostly out of curiosity.

I already have a nikon to pentax optically corrected adaptor, which cost about the same.

The Nikon to pentax adaptor when I tested had a 1.25 magnification ratio, comparing a shot with my 24mm Tamron F2.5 adaptall, direct on the camera using a PK mount, and mounted to the Nikon to PK adaptor with a nikon mount.

This means that for wide angle the adaptor is useless, because of the magnification factor, BUT for portrait and above, i.e. 50mm and higher, the 1.25 x ratio may be of some interest.

I did a day's shooting at a local green house with a nikor 50mm F1.7 attached (62mm F2 equivelent with adaptor) and the shots were surprisingly clean.

I suspect the FD adaptor will be similar.

for application the lens works in stopped down metering only, but if you happen to find a really nice FD telephoto, and want to use it,. the results would probably be quite good.

I will post some results when I get it, and compare if possible a 50mm FD lens to the 50mm Nikor I already own.

My interest in these adaptors is that there are a lot of nikon and canon FD lenses out there that have essentually been abandoned by nikon and canon. There are, in comparison today, very many pentax used lenses out there and the price is skyrocketing, because I believe the number of pentax DSLR users now esceeds the number of pentax Film users there ever were.

Edit note: One additiona thing to consider here is pentax is somewhat unique in offering metering capabilities on every body to support anything you can somehow attach to the body.

This makes them the old lens user's dream if adaptors are available,

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 04-01-2010 at 10:07 AM.
04-01-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
My interest in these adaptors is that there are a lot of nikon and canon FD lenses out there that have essentually been abandoned by nikon and canon. There are, in comparison today, very many pentax used lenses out there and the price is skyrocketing, because I believe the number of pentax DSLR users now esceeds the number of pentax Film users there ever were.
There is no way that there are nearly as many DSLR users now as film users in the past. Pentax built film cameras for 50 years, K-mount film cameras for 30. Demand for used Pentax lenses exceeds supply because so many lenses are in peoples closets or basements and the lenses that are really in demand were always in short supply.
04-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #22
Pentaxian

There is no way that there are nearly as many DSLR users now as film users in the past. Pentax built film cameras for 50 years, K-mount film cameras for 30. Demand for used Pentax lenses exceeds supply because so many lenses are in peoples closets or basements and the lenses that are really in demand were always in short supply.
I think the ad for pentax when the K100 was released was "there are 23 million lenses that will fit this camera"

There was a report a while ago with pentax production numbers. I would be willing to bet that they are getting really close to exhausting the supply.

WHile I don;t argue that some of the really sought after lenses were always in short supply, the fact that they made film cameras for 50 years does not mean that that population just stopped taking pictures.

I have been shooting for almost 30, exclusively with pentax, and there are many like me who have more than just a kit lens.

The truth of the mater is that when you go into any camera store that has used equipment for sale today, the pentax line up is virtually zero (except for plastic kit lenses from the 1990's). In the 1990's there was always a very good selection available, but not today.
04-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #23
Site Supporter

This is indeed true. Back in the 70''s load of people had an SLR that today would have just some automatic digital compact camera. Already autofocus film compacts robbed the SLR market of these users in the 90's. But the majority of these camera owners had only three lenses: a 28mm, a 50mm and a 135mm. Later on, the same type of customers (say the 80's roughly) had an SLR with a 35-70 zoom and a 70-210 zoom. Therefore there are mountains of these lenses on the market, in the clossets, in the local garage sales etc., but probably a large part also was just thrown away as garbage. Other focal lengths, like 21 and 24mm, 85 or 100mm, >=200mm, fast lenses, macro lenses, were not at all as common as the five 28, 50, 135, 35-20/28-80 and 80-200/70-210mm lenses. Applies to all brands.

One factor that do appy is that the FD system, like the Hexanon AR that I have a bag full with, were abandoned and never got digital or even autofocus bodies. Even if you can mount them with adapters on some EOS and/or 4/3rd cameras, it is full manual and with some problems/losses like, crop factor etc. So the prices for old high quality lenses in these mounts are less costly than the corresponding lenses that can be mounted directly on a modern DSLR. If I didn't already have so many nice Hexanon AR I might be tempted to start picking up some Canon FD lenses and a body for them.

Doen't Sony users realise that they can use Minolta lenses? I see some good Minolta lenses go for almost nothing here. Right now a 100mm macro is about to go for almost free on the Swedish equivalent of ebay. If I had a Sony DSLR I would not hesitate a second. Or are there simply so few Sony users around here?

04-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I decided to try this, mostly out of curiosity.

I already have a nikon to pentax optically corrected adaptor, which cost about the same.

The Nikon to pentax adaptor when I tested had a 1.25 magnification ratio, comparing a shot with my 24mm Tamron F2.5 adaptall, direct on the camera using a PK mount, and mounted to the Nikon to PK adaptor with a nikon mount.
I have a similar adapter and can confirm Lowell's findings. Of course if you pixel peep on a side by side comparison, which I did do, then you can see the optical corrector was used but otherwise I was satisfied with the results.