Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
Inactive Account

FD to K

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I did a search and did find a few post on this but they where old and just wondered if anything new has arouse from this. i have several FD lenses at home along with FD bodies. now i got my new K-x and i really don't want to start dumping a lot of money in lenses again. (going to get the da 55-300) has anyone got any new info for mounting these or is it never going to happen.

03-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not going to happen because of the registration distance. Not much of a market for FD lenses either. They do make a FD adapter for M4/3 so maybe the market will pick up.
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
emr

How about just getting a m4/3 camera with the adapter as a secondary
setup for yourself?
03-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
emr

Another option is the new Samsung NX10 w/ adapter.

03-31-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oddity96 Quote
has anyone got any new info for mounting these or is it never going to happen.
There are several ways to use a FD lens with a Pentax dSLR.

1) Get PK lens reversal adapters to fit the front threads of your lenses. They're cheap. Mount a lens on the camera, reversed. Shoot macros. Use good lighting.

2) Find a FD-M42 adapter, a M42-PK adapter, and a M42 bellows. Mount lens on bellows via adapter #1. Mount bellows on camera with adapter #2. Shoot macros.

2a) If you can't find a FD-M42 adapter, disassemble the FD lens and mount any of the lens elements on the M42 bellows with gaffer's tape. Enjoy the fine optics.

3) Perform surgery on your FD lenses. I've seen web pages detailing just how much machining is necessary. Then add PK mounts. Be sure to use good solder.

4) FD lenses make excellent paperweights to hold down your Pentax booklets, printouts of lens price lists, Adorama receipts, credit card statements, maps, etc.

5) Throw FD lens high in the air and use Pentax camera and lens to photograph it as an Alien Entity or giant roc seizes it and carries it away to the end of forever.

Also: Pioneering prospectors sometimes built "bottle houses" of discarded beer etc bottles cemented together. Collect FD lenses, build a "Canon Lens House". They're also useful as Xmas tree ornaments, fishing sinkers, ant and caterpillar burners, weights for bolos, firearm target practice, etc. You can never run out of things to do with or to them. Have fun.
03-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/95710-new-pentax-85mm-1-2-a.html
03-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster

only one problem i don't read Russian

Переделка объектива Canon FDn на Pentax - Форумы Пента-клуба

03-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
There are several ways to use a FD lens with a Pentax dSLR.

1) Get PK lens reversal adapters to fit the front threads of your lenses. They're cheap. Mount a lens on the camera, reversed. Shoot macros. Use good lighting.

2) Find a FD-M42 adapter, a M42-PK adapter, and a M42 bellows. Mount lens on bellows via adapter #1. Mount bellows on camera with adapter #2. Shoot macros.

2a) If you can't find a FD-M42 adapter, disassemble the FD lens and mount any of the lens elements on the M42 bellows with gaffer's tape. Enjoy the fine optics.

3) Perform surgery on your FD lenses. I've seen web pages detailing just how much machining is necessary. Then add PK mounts. Be sure to use good solder.

4) FD lenses make excellent paperweights to hold down your Pentax booklets, printouts of lens price lists, Adorama receipts, credit card statements, maps, etc.

5) Throw FD lens high in the air and use Pentax camera and lens to photograph it as an Alien Entity or giant roc seizes it and carries it away to the end of forever.

Also: Pioneering prospectors sometimes built "bottle houses" of discarded beer etc bottles cemented together. Collect FD lenses, build a "Canon Lens House". They're also useful as Xmas tree ornaments, fishing sinkers, ant and caterpillar burners, weights for bolos, firearm target practice, etc. You can never run out of things to do with or to them. Have fun.
hahaha you a funny guy

like i said i have three bodies at home these fit so the do get use.
03-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Another option is the new Samsung NX10 w/ adapter.
this is a idea
03-31-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not going to happen because of the registration distance. Not much of a market for FD lenses either. They do make a FD adapter for M4/3 so maybe the market will pick up.
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
How about just getting a m4/3 camera with the adapter as a secondary
setup for yourself?
not to fond of a small body with a big lens on it. for some reason it just don't seem right
03-31-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Google up Translate this page, and you should be set.
Since you really don't want to modify your lenses, if you still want to shoot your old Canon's I suggest that you modify a teleconverter. Sure you'll extend the lenses, however they'll still be useful with both systems.
03-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

once you tried some of the Pentax glasses on, you would no longer consider putting your FD glasses on. there are a lot of great MF Pentax and 3rd party glasses on K-mount that are available and a lot of M42 lenses that you will only need a PK-adapter that you can find cheap.

the 16-45 and 55-300 are enough to answer your AF zoom range needs. this would cost you about $350 only. and the specialty manual focus lenses such as 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/2, 100/2.8 or f4 macro, 135/3.5, 200/4 would cost you around a total of $500. without the 200/4, that's only around $400.
03-31-2010, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a search and did find a few post on this but they where old and just wondered if anything new has arouse from this. i have several FD lenses at home along with FD bodies. now i got my new K-x and i really don't want to start dumping a lot of money in lenses again. (going to get the da 55-300) has anyone got any new info for mounting these or is it never going to happen.
6) Buy an FD to K adapter canon FD adapter to Pentax K200D K110D K7 Kx Km K2000 - eBay (item 200453836000 end time Apr-22-10 22:21:11 PDT)
Sure it has some optical lens element so you will get some degradation of optical quality, but it doesn't cost more than that it is worth testing.
03-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
6) Buy an FD to K adapter canon FD adapter to Pentax K200D K110D K7 Kx Km K2000 - eBay (item 200453836000 end time Apr-22-10 22:21:11 PDT)
Sure it has some optical lens element so you will get some degradation of optical quality, but it doesn't cost more than that it is worth testing.
I didn't know they made an FD to K adapter. I knew about the Nikon F/AI to K adapter.

This one's even cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.com/Optics-glass-Canon-FD-lens-mount-To-Pentax-PK-Adapter_W0...5#ht_835wt_941
03-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
once you tried some of the Pentax glasses on, you would no longer consider putting your FD glasses on.
I'm not putting down Pentax here, however I've been told by several people that some of those Canon FD mount lenses rival, and even beat their Zeiss equivalents.