Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2007, 10:56 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
its interesting that you ARPE had with the DS, I have had similiar issues with the 50/500sigma on my DS, and going manual it seems the only option.

I too enjoy the DS and may have out pull my finger out and get the k10d.

07-26-2007, 05:38 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm waiting for further developments...
07-27-2007, 12:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Arpe,

You should be annoyed at your camera not the lense... Yes, it is very slow on DS, but with K10D I don't have problem with it at all. Very quick focussing.
07-27-2007, 04:07 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
You should be annoyed at your camera not the lense
I am, I am. Especially annoyed as otherwise I love my Ds. I was VERY close to selling the 80-320, but will now wait to see how it performs on whatever I get next.

08-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Nice bipe, pipe!

I shot some RC planes with my 80-320. It is much sharper than the 75-300. The only thing I noticed was a loss of contrast on sunny days that I found was lens flare. I bought a silver Pentax lens hood and epoxied it to a thread adapter and now there is no more lens flare. While I wouldn't shoot professionally with it, the 80-320 is quite nice. I have never had focus speed problems, mostly because I have always used it on one of my istD bodies or now my K10D bodies.

(For people who find it slow, consider a used istD body instead of a K110, DS or DL. The istD still commands high prices on the used market, and one of the reasons is because it is a higher end camera than anything that came after it, until the K10D. With CR-V3s in the battery grip and rechargeable AAs in the body, I have never run out of power in the middle of a photo shoot, and it always amazes people when I take off my 360 flash from the hotshoe and hold it high above my head and off to the side and shoot full wireless with no visible connection between the camera and the flash.)
08-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #21

That D VII IS a gorgeous aircraft...

Dear Chickenhawk:

The PIPE here again...and thanks for your reply!

I'm waiting for the rebates to come for both the pair of SanDisk 2 GB SD cards, and the K100D with kit DA 16-45mm lens AND the DA 50-200 lens before I can even hope to afford the 80-320...it's mostly going to HAVE to be a purchase to be made well into this coming autumn.

The RC flier who built and who flies that gorgeous Fokker D VII "giant scale" RC model, Chauncey Dance (a very British sounding name-but he's a native New Englander), really did a nice job on that late World War I German fighter biplane of his...even to using real linen fabric covering, that's literally a "miniature" version of the full scale, so called "lozenge" fabric covering (that looks like a crazy quilt) used later in World War I by Kaiser Bill's fliers so long ago. A webpage from the source of the "miniature lozenge" covering, specifically at GLENN TORRANCE MODELS "QUALITY WITHOUT QUESTION" , actually shows that miniature "lozenge" covering that Chauncey used, being given its printed-on colors in the exact same manner as the original material did back in 1917-1918 Germany.

I'd LOVE to see some of your RC aircraft photos...please let me know if you've already got them up here at the Pentax Forum website.

I'll be shooting QUITE a few photos with the K100D at the upcoming Rhinebeck RC Jamboree (LOTS of World War I flying RC scale models at THAT annual event, the weekend after the US Labor Day weekend)...an event like THAT one IS what I mostly got the K100D for in the first place...but since my 12 year old small American station wagon NEEDS new front tires to make the trip, any chance of having the 80-320 before the Rhinebeck journey just is NOT there...

How do you think the 80-320 would do for AF focusing speed on a K100D body? Since that same lens COULD be easily used on my "film burner" K1000 SE, I could get used to trying it out on that as well...but my venerable veteran K1000 SE IS nearing its 30th birthday, and has NEVER been into a camera repair place for any sort of maintenance, and I THINK its light meter might be a bit "tired", with the camera needing at least a good "checkup" before I use it again.

I'm using two quartets (one in the camera, one spare set) of Sanyo's latest 2700 mAH NiMH cells in my K100D, and based on the solid reputation Sanyo's NiMH cells have in the RC hobby (I build all my own RC transmitters-been doing so since 1977!) I'm betting it will be a LONG time before those cells see replacement.

And the SanDisk 2 GB Extreme-III cards I've got for the K100D can sure hold a lot of JPEGs..something like just over 660 images with the "best" 6 MP setting being used to take my photos at full resolution...plus, they ARE quite fast.

Please let me know where I can see some of those RC flying photos YOU shot with your FA 80-320...it just makes me MORE hungry to get those rebates, and then get an order out to Cambridge to actually GET it...!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
08-10-2007, 01:27 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I have only started shooting (and flying) R/C and I have no shots of my own aircraft. I am essentially teaching myself to fly and there is no way I can drop the sticks and pick up my camera. One other reason is that I fly mostly helicopters, and I can't even scratch my nose without landing first.

(For those of you who don't fly radio control, suffice it to say The Pipe knows exactly what I am talking about. Flying a r/c helicopter is MUCH harder than flying the real thing. I soloed my first aircraft when I was 17, after 6 1/2 hours of instruction. After hundreds of hours of practice, I am barely hovering my radio control heli!)

I did pick up this neat little foam flyer the other day, and I am going to dabble in fixed-wing for a bit. It is a Multiplex Twinstar and I painted it in the colours from Canadian Forces search and rescue - which might make it easier to see when I inevitably get it lost in the trees somewhere.

But ... back to the 80-320. There is one thing to watch with these lenses. Some of them suffer an internal fault where they work on film cameras but will not work on digitals. Many of them were factory rebuilt to correct this, but I am sure a few have slipped through the cracks. This is one lens - new or used - that you NEED to test on your camera before buying it, or have the ability to return it for a full refund if it doesn't work. I have never heard of this fault on a silver version of the lens, but I have seen many such faults on the black version. (The lens will not read or operate the aperture setting correctly on digital bodies.)

For what it's worth, I actually like the look of that big silver lens on my black Pentax though anyway.
10-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #23

The FA 80-320 has been ordered...

Dear Chickenhawk & Fellow Pentaxians:

The PIPE Here yet again...and as of this Saturday my order went out in the mail to a different vendor than CambridgeWorld (they RAN OUT of them while I was waiting for my Pentax refund to show up in the mail) for my desired FA 80-320 Pentax zoom tele lens.

I checked the vendor's ratings at EBay that I did order it from, and they certainly seemd to be about the best anyone could ask for...payment went out to "them" as a money order by mail, so it didn't have to be on my much-overstretched plastic...!

A local camera store in the Boston area to me seems like they SHOULD have Quantaray screw-in 58mm lens hoods available at their store only one town away from my location in Weymouth, MA...so, Chickenhawk, I SHOULD have a ready source for the lens hood when I head down to my local RC field in Halifax, MA. to try out the 80-320 with, hopefully, BOTH my K100D, and my film burner K1000SE Pentaxes.

It's being sent by US Mail delivery...so I COULD have it by mid-month, or slightly later...I'm just hoping that the weather will be good enough late this October, or perhaps November, on some weekend for my test shots...wish me luck in getting a GOOD used lens (it IS supposed to be a silver finish 80-320) and good weather to try it out in...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE...!

10-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good luck.
10-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The problem is not the lens, it is the DS. The AF of the DS is just terribly slow and seems too weak for bigger lenses. I have never been able to correctly use any longer tele on the DS, while I had no problem with the teles on the D, K100 or K10.
10-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

lemme just add another voice to the rest saying that the older DSLRs have slow AF motors, but the K10D's motor is rippin. After playing around with several long lenses from both Pentax and Tamron on the k100 I was severely disappointed- it was justa s slow, as far as I could tell, as my 'old' ZX-L. Then I got my hands on a K10- much faster. The new SDM lenses are faster still. Good luck!