Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2007, 09:42 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Both are decent lenses for the price and it is hard to do better no matter if you go one way or the other. My personal preference is the Sigma 70-300 APO-DG Macro(200-300mm) model but it is really a close call and I think comes down to if you like Sigma more or less than Tamron lenses.
Kenn

07-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

tamron = 3 votes, sigma = 3 votes. Now it is even.
07-26-2007, 05:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also, seems the Tamron is a bit less expensive if you have a budget
07-26-2007, 05:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Also, seems the Tamron is a bit less expensive if you have a budget
Yes. If you compare Sigma and Tamron's offering at the $150ish price point, Tamron destroys that Sigma variant.

The APO version is much more expensive. (Sigma has 2-3 different 70-300 units, and as far as I can tell the Tamron competes pretty closely with the most expensive sigma but is quite a bit less expensive.)

The only thing I really don't like at all about my Tamron (which is likely specific to the fact that it is a Quantaray-rebadged unit and not a true Tamron) is that it is impossible to remove/install the hood when the lens cap is attached. As I understand it, the genuine Tamron units have a much nicer "center pinch" lens cap that doesn't interfere with the hood's ability to be installed/removed.

(Crap, forgot to add one of those caps to my MPEX order when I bought a Strobist Kit...)

07-30-2007, 08:40 AM   #20

Forgot to cast my vote, I vote for the Sigma as I've found it to be a great lens.
07-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I should have added in my earlier post, I have the Tamron and am very pleased with it. A vote for the Tamron for me.A couple of examples at 300mm and macro
# BTW yes mine does have a center pinch lens cap, so no problem.

Last edited by Bramela; 10-06-2007 at 04:34 PM.
07-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Hmmm..

My father and I went to the local photography store earlier today. He wanted something with more reach then his Pentax 50-200. He was looking at a Sigma 70-300 APO because I have a Bigma and he knows Sigma makes good lenses.

The camera store only had a Canon mount version boxed new. So the owner takes the lens out of the box and places it on a Canon body and lets us try it. The zoom ring was too stiff and the lens would only zoom in a slight jerky motion. My father was just about ready to order one in for the Pentax mount, when the owner remembers he also has a new Tamron 70-300 in a Pentax mount.

He takes this lens out and lets us try it on a Pentax. A very big difference in handling. Zooms nice and smooth, had better weight and feel on camera body. The end story is that he bought it. The photos are not that bad for an entry level zoom.

Voting or not, your best bet is to try them on a camera body. From what I have read, they both take good photos. However, the handling is much different from the few samples I have touched.

So I guess one vote for the Tamron.

07-30-2007, 02:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I have had both lenses at the same time and there wasn't much difference. As for chako's comments on the Sigma's zoom ring, I suspect the store had a defective demo unit. Mine is smooth and easy to zoom and focus. I like the image quality of the Sigma a tiny bit better and found it to be slightly sharper. So now my son has the 70-300 APO, the Tamron was sold and I got the 50-500 Bigma. If I were to do it all over again I'd give the 135-400 APO very serious consideration but you're getting out of the budget range (about double the price of the 2 70-300's) for some wallets.

So as for the vote. Put me down for the Sigma.
07-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #24

I would have to vote for the Sigma just because I don't have the Tamron. I was looking for a lens with more reach than the Da 50-200 (which I love) and I did not want to break the bank account. None of the stores close to me had the APO version so I took a chance on the non APO version of the Sigma and am quite happy with the results. I have noticed that the lens focuses very fast on my K10D but the images are best on bright sunny days. Here are two examples from a drag race as Mission Raceways last weekend. Not great shots, but I was trying to pan with the cars. It was not sunny when these were taken. Both at 1/180 F5.6 at 240mm Green mode.

I think it is not too bad for a lens at the $200 cdn level. I can't justify spending more for the type of shooting I do.

Last edited by BrianK; 07-30-2007 at 02:54 PM.
07-30-2007, 04:49 PM   #25
Veteran Member

tamron = 5 votes, sigma = 6 votes.
07-30-2007, 05:04 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Just to clarify, the Sigma lens that was taken out was not a demo unit at all, but a fresh boxed version. I know, he broke the seals on it in my presence, with the intent to use it as a demo.

No arguments over it being a defective unit possibly. I know it didn't have a very good feel in the hands when zooming.