Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #46
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've heard such great things about the lens that I really want it to working condition so I'm probably going to resign myself to having it fixed and after it's fixed if I still have some paranoia or are not 100% satisfied (outside of the obvious that it might need to go back again), I'll sell it as 100% condition (since Tamron would say so). It's a lesson learned it really is.
BUT
In the course of this thread someone did touch upon my original concern, is 28-75 really long enough to get the good shots of a kid playing or are you in the way trying to get closer. It would be very easy to get him on the playground from 10 out of the way of all the towers and bridges, take the pic, move around the area, take the pic, then it would to run up, take the pick, run back and around all the obsticles to the next position, take the pic, etc....

04-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by smcook99 Quote
I've heard such great things about the lens that I really want it to working condition so I'm probably going to resign myself to having it fixed and after it's fixed if I still have some paranoia or are not 100% satisfied (outside of the obvious that it might need to go back again), I'll sell it as 100% condition (since Tamron would say so). It's a lesson learned it really is.
BUT
In the course of this thread someone did touch upon my original concern, is 28-75 really long enough to get the good shots of a kid playing or are you in the way trying to get closer. It would be very easy to get him on the playground from 10 out of the way of all the towers and bridges, take the pic, move around the area, take the pic, then it would to run up, take the pick, run back and around all the obsticles to the next position, take the pic, etc....
how far are you going to be shooting (minimum and maximum distance)? are you only going to shoot a headshot/head and shoulder shot, full body, full person + background?
04-06-2010, 08:43 AM   #48
Forum Member

Original Poster
The range of distance from him when outside is variable based on what it takes to get around obstacles and still get the shot. I usually take full body with a foot of background around him and crop if I just want a headshot later. Obstacles keep me an average of 10 - 15 feet away from him. If I could average 20 feet I could navigate the playground easier.
04-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #49
Forum Member

Original Poster
You talk about these manual focus primes. Where does one acquire such items (stores and warranty only). I was just on bhphoto in the pentax mount section but there was maybe 2 MF lenses listed.

04-06-2010, 07:29 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I believe that KEH offers a 90 day warranty on most of their used lenses.

For photographing children I might even consider something even longer. I've used my Sigma 135 - 400, and kept out of their eyesight. Children are always more interesting when they don't think you can see them.
04-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #51
Veteran Member

The range of distance from him when outside is variable based on what it takes to get around obstacles and still get the shot. I usually take full body with a foot of background around him and crop if I just want a headshot later. Obstacles keep me an average of 10 - 15 feet away from him. If I could average 20 feet I could navigate the playground easier.
hmmmm..... 75mm seems ok good from about 10-15 feet. but I think a 100mm or a 135mm would be ideal at those distance, most especially from 20ft. now, the only problem that is possible to cause a problem for a fixed focal length prime 100mm or 135mm would be composition at the shorter end or situations that require you to shoot from closer distance such as there are just too many clutters that block your shots, shots that you want the half or whole background to be included like swings or slides (kid on top the slide), wide view, indoor shots, limited space, etc... where a wide to short telephoto zoom lens would work perfectly. there are situations when shooting closer is much more ideal. a 100mm and a 135 would really be great for Head/ Head and shoulder shots but loses some versatility. as far as the 28-75 is concerned, you can always crop a 12MP image as long as you don't blow it up after cropping and make it a digital photo image on a 40 inch screen. since you have the 28-75mm as of the moment, and despite you somehow hate it perform at it's current condition, I advice you to take it for a focal length test drive at 75mm, and see how it works, if it's short or just right for the playground. maybe in a few months you could buy a cheap MF 135/3.5 for $50 bucks, just for that extra length that you would need in the future.

p.s, tell us about the focal length test when your done. good luck
04-07-2010, 08:19 AM   #52
Forum Member

Original Poster
Even with the soft issue of the lens I've put a good deal of shots through it but staying fixed at f5.6. From the 28 all the way tot he 75 and I have to say if I had a fixed 100 or 135 there are a few shots I'd miss, as I chase him into the tunnel or have to get under the bridge to catch him coming out the other side. However 75 is still just a tad too short for what I want. I've seen zoom ranges that I think would be prefect, such as 20 or 50ish to 150ish but the ones with an aperture I want start to border on $1,000.

I may check out KEH.com's warranty on used lenses and try to pick up a more robust fast zoom there. I'm less concerned with AF, so if I could save a few bucks on an MF zoom I will. I shot around last night in MF mode. My camera gives me a nice beep when the shot is in focus in MF mode even without half-shutter release. i don't need to be concerned about the aperture being automatic either because I like to keep it as open as possible in the given light. I'd rather my camera up the shutter automatically than stop down the aperture. I don't really shoot long distance scenes, but I love making my subject POP with a nice bokeh.

I've opted to have Tamron repair my 28-75 for the time being.
04-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #53
Veteran Member

You talk about these manual focus primes. Where does one acquire such items (stores and warranty only). I was just on bhphoto in the pentax mount section but there was maybe 2 MF lenses listed.
Well I don't normally acquire my lenses through stores, and they usually don't have a warranty, but my Sears 135 f2.8 is sharp wide open, has the "A" setting, and I paid $5 for it. If it fails on me I figure it will be a rather nice $5 paper weight. True, I had to get the #00 Phillips out and remove the Ricoh pin, but that is probably the easiest lens repair I've ever done.

04-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #54
Forum Member

Original Poster
I live at least 90 minutes from any MAJOR cities. There really isn't anything around here in the way of Camera stores and I found Zero that cater to Pentax. Where do you find these lenses?
04-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Even with the soft issue of the lens I've put a good deal of shots through it but staying fixed at f5.6. From the 28 all the way tot he 75 and I have to say if I had a fixed 100 or 135 there are a few shots I'd miss, as I chase him into the tunnel or have to get under the bridge to catch him coming out the other side. However 75 is still just a tad too short for what I want. I've seen zoom ranges that I think would be prefect, such as 20 or 50ish to 150ish but the ones with an aperture I want start to border on $1,000.

I may check out KEH.com's warranty on used lenses and try to pick up a more robust fast zoom there. I'm less concerned with AF, so if I could save a few bucks on an MF zoom I will. I shot around last night in MF mode. My camera gives me a nice beep when the shot is in focus in MF mode even without half-shutter release. i don't need to be concerned about the aperture being automatic either because I like to keep it as open as possible in the given light. I'd rather my camera up the shutter automatically than stop down the aperture. I don't really shoot long distance scenes, but I love making my subject POP with a nice bokeh.

I've opted to have Tamron repair my 28-75 for the time being.
the only sad thing about that is that such zoom lenses at that focal length cost quite a lot of moolah. I can't seem to find a good cheap MF alternative other than the Pentax A 70-210/f4. you might find one for less than a $100. but personally, I would prefer the 135mm primes for the same cheap price. I'm not saying that the 70-210 zoom is bad. actually it's a very good lens and fast enough to render and create that pop that you are looking for and also with a lil bit of post-processing touch, it would look that great. except that the 135mm primes (whether f2.8 or f3.5 are just awesome. so it's a matter of what matters to you most.

very good IQ, practicality and versatility of use (70-210) versus excellent IQ rendering at 135?
04-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #56
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live at least 90 minutes from any MAJOR cities. There really isn't anything around here in the way of Camera stores and I found Zero that cater to Pentax. Where do you find these lenses?
They're all over eBay, and as said, KEH.com, which appears to have great prices.

For eBay, just do a search for "Takumar lens." You will see lenses that are either k mount, or M42 mount (screw) which require a simple adapter.

There are other M42s available in other brands as well, but for now, just look for Pentax Takumar.

As a general rule, SMC (Super-Multi-Coated) are better than the plain Super Takumar or Takumar, but that's a GENERAL rule. They're all "good," and they're GREAT for the right price.
04-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #57
Forum Member

Original Poster
After Tamron Repair #1

Well I just got my lens back from Tamron today. 9 days is a pretty darn nice turn around. However, aside from changing the bubble wrap and the box I'm not sure what they fixed. Take a look and let me know if I'm missing something here. In progression (if the forum maintained the upload list) is
f2.8
f3.5
f4
f4.5
f5.6
Attached Images

04-16-2010, 06:10 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that unless your focus is off that your f/2.8 photo shouldn't be nearly that out of focus and blurry like that. I don't think that they did anything that improved it, it looks about what f/2.8 should look like on your f/5.6 photo.
04-16-2010, 06:18 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Pillowy soft. That isn't right. Have you used any kind of measurement tool to see if it is front or back focusing?
04-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #60
Veteran Member

could you do another more test and probably use a 4x or 6x magnification under Live view mode? also use a flash on because it appears that it is struggling to produce decent photos. looks like your focus maybe off as well since it looks soft. if you could shoot a lot of numerous samples just to confirm the sharpness consistency of the lens.