Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2007, 02:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
And no, it is not heavy. Not as heavy as it looks. I found it relatively portable comparing to most of Canon L lenses. Quite convinient to hold just one lens covering all the focal lengths. Though the lens is prone to dust getting side the front element...

I am not that into motor sports hence not many trial shots in the similar nature.

But I doubt this lens is suitable for indoor sports or agile birding photography ...
I have used this lens on a Canon 30D before and the results have been pretty good so I'm not too worried. My friend who owns it shoots a lot of motorsport and has had some fantastic success.

I will experiment with shutter speeds but, depending on conditions, I might get away Av-mode and f8 most of the time.

Is there anything I can do to help prevent the dust issue?

Example:

07-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #17

m8o, The only 100-300 f4 I was able to find were on eBay and all of the lenses were coming out of China. I ordered a Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6 from Adorama in the US and recieved it today. I love the smooth functioning of the lens and the weight isn't bad on my K10 with battery grip attached. We're heading off for vacation soon and I'm looking forward to using it on the beach.

I am keeping an eye out for the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 though. Good luck on getting the new lens.

Shawn
07-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #18

I won't gloat too much, but I started chasing the 70-200 f/2.8 lens a few months back. My retailer/repairer tells me he can get it for me, there was three on the shelf at the importers when he looked earlier that day, so I paid up front and he went in the next day to collect my lens.

All Gone!!!!!! in one afternoon all three Pentax mount 70-200 f/2.8 lenses were sold and they were no longer in production and no plans to make the new Macro version in Pentax mount in the near future (probably waiting on SDM to come out)

So I started looking at the Pentax 80-200mm, even harder to find. Then it was suggested that I start contacting retailers and suppliers around the world by email on the hope that someone would have one in stock and sitting on a shelf.

I asked my guy to start checking his connections. Originally he was told none left, all sold, none in production, he pushed and pushed and pushed, then suddenly the story changed.

He got back to me the other month and told me he had managed to locate two (one for him and one for me).

Called me just now and told me both lenses shipped from Japan 3 days ago and I expect to see it in two weeks.

I am going to be one happy camper.

Crash
07-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #19
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
m8o, The only 100-300 f4 I was able to find were on eBay and all of the lenses were coming out of China. ....
Yep, and this one didn't last even a day:
eBay: Sigma EX 100-300mm F4 APO DG Telephoto Lens for Pentax (item 140139162858 end time Jul-17-07 13:04:45 PDT)

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
I am keeping an eye out for the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 though. Good luck on getting the new lens.
Shawn
Hoping it's cheaper then the SMC PENTAX FA 80-200mm f/ 2.8 IF ED, just sold for $1825! ::
eBay: SMC PENTAX FA 80-200mm f/ 2.8 IF ED (item 300129246309 end time Jul-17-07 20:00:00 PDT)

I'd like Pentax glass, but that's more then Nikon glass of similar focal length!

07-18-2007, 04:59 AM   #20

m8o, going after the fast glass looks like it's not only going to be a scavenger hunt but also an expensive one. I don't make my living with my camera, it's just my obsession. I think I'll be happy with the Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6 that I got yesterday and wait to see what happens with the Tamron 70-200.

Shawn
07-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #21
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MShawn63, yes, that would be the smart thing for me to do too. It's just that I have a unique and very rare opportunity here. I am "being dragged" to Tanzania (of sorts; I'd rather stay in 'civilization'), and it's all expenses paid by the in-laws. I got the wifie to agree that as the cost of the trip is nill (dunno, maybe we're paying airfare), I'd be able to get a top notch camera & lenses to document this once in a lifetime trip. ...so, I'm trying my hardest to get the best I can. Come to think of it now that I annunciated this, I should be considering the Sigma 300mm f/2.8 then!
07-18-2007, 09:18 AM   #22

m8o, seeing as this is a once in a lifetime opportunity I'd say go for it. Get the best equipment you can get. I would suggest a self-powered portable hard drive to store images or, or possibly the Belkin portable DVD burner to burn your images to so you reduce the possibility of loss. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Have fun,
Shawn
07-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote

Is there anything I can do to help prevent the dust issue?
I doubt you can do anything to avoid this problem besides avoiding dust itself

Maybe in the strong wind, avoid extending the zoom to the long end ...

07-25-2007, 11:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Woohoo!

50-500 is being dispatched tomorrow. ETA Monday –Tuesday.

Battery grip is in the same box.
07-26-2007, 08:54 AM   #25
Site Supporter

blwnhr

Please keep us posted how it does for action shots - I myself have the same debate and frustration as you and have been considering the Bigma

thx.........dy
07-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I still shoot with Canon equipment, and I love my Bigma. It is one of the perfect wildlife lenses out there. Perfect for those long distance shots and close ups as well.

The lens isn't that heavy. I find the weight helps me steady my hand holding capabilities. I usually shoot this lens hand held with very good results.

I just bought a BushHawk for use with this lens.

It is a slow lens, but I haven't found this to be a problem. Most of my subjects are far enough to blur the background nicely. Also, with digital, it is no problem to up the ISO settings in the camera to get good shutter speeds. Likewise, if I ever need to shoot in low light, I would mostly use a tripod anyhow.

Photo of the BushHawk with Bigma and Canon 20D.

Here are a few photos taken with the lens.

I was not aware that finding fast telephotos in a Pentax mount is so difficult.
07-26-2007, 01:58 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I ordered the Bigma but I keep getting shipping delay notices. Apparently they have not received it in stock yet. I checked a bunch of online stores and they all have it listed as out of stock. Where did you order yours from? you seemed to get it rather quickly.
07-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
blwnhr

Please keep us posted how it does for action shots - I myself have the same debate and frustration as you and have been considering the Bigma

thx.........dy
I most certainly will. I will be out taking some Soccer photos next Saturday (4th August) and then will be heading to the motorsport early September. Should be a bit of a learning curve having 170% more focal length than my previous long lens. Looking forward to it!

Thanks for posting those photos Chako. I've seen some good results from this lens so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
I ordered the Bigma but I keep getting shipping delay notices. Apparently they have not received it in stock yet. I checked a bunch of online stores and they all have it listed as out of stock. Where did you order yours from? you seemed to get it rather quickly.
Oh, really, maybe it is going the same way as the 70-200 . I ordered mine directly through C.R. Kennedy, the Australian importer for Pentax and Sigma. They don't normally retail but due to some warranty issues I had with my *istDL they looked after me.

They did say their Melbourne warehouse was out of stock but they had some in their Perth (other side of the country) warehouse. They just shipped it across for me.

You may be able to shoot them an e-mail directly and ask if they would be interested in sending one to America. If you're desperate it can't hurt to ask.

Cheers,

Adam.
07-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote

Oh, really, maybe it is going the same way as the 70-200 . I ordered mine directly through C.R. Kennedy, the Australian importer for Pentax and Sigma. They don't normally retail but due to some warranty issues I had with my *istDL they looked after me.

They did say their Melbourne warehouse was out of stock but they had some in their Perth (other side of the country) warehouse. They just shipped it across for me.

You may be able to shoot them an e-mail directly and ask if they would be interested in sending one to America. If you're desperate it can't hurt to ask.

Cheers,

Adam.
Thanks for the info. I'm really in no great rush but I'll keep that option open if necessary.
07-26-2007, 03:12 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Your welcome blwnhr.