Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No 70-200? Fine I'll have a 50-500 thankyou. *Arrived today. Woohoo!*

That's right. I gave in. I decided in the indefinate absence of the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 that I will have to get the 50-500 f4-6.3. Yes it's slower, yes it's heavier, but at least I'll have a lens longer than 125mm.

I'm sure that there will still be a market for the 50-500 once the 70-200 is out so I can sell it off second hand and get the latter.

Or I might even get the DA* 50-135 f2.8 once it lands, provided a SDM teleconverter is available.

Does anyone have any experience with the 50-500 for moving subjects? Please feel free to post photos or links.

Last edited by blwnhr; 07-29-2007 at 07:05 PM.
07-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #2

I emailed Sigma today about the 70-200 f2.8, which I've had on order since Arpil. The reply was:

"I do not have any info on future plans for the Pentax mount at this time. We will make an announcement on our web site when more info becomes available."

This was from Rory O’Donoghue, Customer service/technical assistance Sigma Corporation of America

I also saw that they have dropped Pentax as one of the options from their description of the lens on thier website. Based on this I cancelled my order for the 70-200 and ordered the 135-400 4.5-5.6, not only do I get a longer lens but I saved money I can put toward a nice prime.

Shawn
07-16-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

How about the EX 100-300 f4? That's got solid reviews and its fairly fast. Especially at the 300mm end.
07-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #4

I was hoping to find the 100-300 F4, but everywhere I found that it is carried, the lens is on back order with no shipping date.

07-16-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have been debating the 50-500mm

anyone have any knowledge on the 200-500mm?
07-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
I emailed Sigma today about the 70-200 f2.8, which I've had on order since Arpil. The reply was:

"I do not have any info on future plans for the Pentax mount at this time. We will make an announcement on our web site when more info becomes available."
Yeah I found this out a couple of weeks ago. There is "no room" in the current production schedule. In other words the lens got pushed out the current production schedule, no doubt to make room for crappy kit zooms to stick on D40s and Rebels. I see that even though you had it on order (as I did), you had to contact them to find out about the lens being indefinitely postponed... they couldn't be bothered to tell the retailers. Ditto the latest delay of the Pentax lenses... sometimes I wonder if all optical companies are staffed by people who have never heard of the invention of the telephone.
07-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #7

I'll be doing the same in preparation for some auto events in the next few months. I ended up settling for a 70-300 APO DG to tide me over but will be replacing the 70-300 with the Bigma in the near future (US $ to CDN $ is great right now and I save about $350-400 ordering from the US which puts the 50-500 as a cheaper lens than the 70-200 2.8 was initially when I ordered).

Congrats on the new purchase, you'll love the lens

-s

07-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
How about the EX 100-300 f4? That's got solid reviews and its fairly fast. Especially at the 300mm end.
This is dis-continued. I was pushing for that in the absence of the 70-200 but it is no longer available in any mount.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote

I was told by Sigma yesterday that you are better off to go for the 50-500 for a bit extra money. Basically the same optics just with more flexibility.

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
There is "no room" in the current production schedule. In other words the lens got pushed out the current production schedule, no doubt to make room for crappy kit zooms to stick on D40s and Rebels.
I don't know about pushed out to make crappy kit zooms, but yes, it is to cover the Canon/Nikon market because their market share is greater. It is all just business to them. In all honesty, what would Sigma care if Pentax failed because of a lack of lenses? Just one less mount to make. There is a fair bit of pressure on them to produce lenses for a camera which isn't supported by its own manufacturer.

QuoteOriginally posted by smcclelland Quote
I ended up settling for a 70-300 APO DG to tide me over but will be replacing the 70-300 with the Bigma in the near future
I was going to do the same in preparation for the 70-200 should it be arriving Aug/Sept but with no ETA I thought I may as well go something a bit more serious.

QuoteOriginally posted by smcclelland Quote
Congrats on the new purchase, you'll love the lens
Sure hope so Will post results once it's here
07-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #9

ZaphodB, I'm not sure it's really the lens manufacturers that I would be mad at, after all I placed the order with Adorama not Sigma. What I do expect is the retailers to keep people posted on the status of these lenses and to stop saying they are back ordered and actually find out what the manufacturers are doing. It does no one any good when retailers are advertising products that no longer exist or won't be made.

Shawn
07-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gaelen Quote

so if the 50-500 is called a Bigma....what does that make the 200-500? BigMama?

but yea, pentax is outta luck on many of the sigma teles. Maybe time to look at the scores of zeiss, russian zeiss glass still floating around on ebay..
07-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #11

Pete has it right.

There are a good number of Zeiss lenses in M42 or the Pentacon mount, and though they are all HUGE beasties, they are just fantastic lenses. Granted the colour cast is different than that of the pentax glass, but the 180 or 200 Sonnar F/2.8 lenses are just great, as is the 135mm (Do yourself a favour, get the newest version of the Jena, the all balck version..) F/3.5.

And the Jupiter lens (The Jupiter 8, I believe) covering the 90mm F/2 range is just fantastic. There are a good number of older Roden' lenses floating around as well, and the huge number of older 80-200 F/4 variants is astounding.

Course, these all lack AF, but then again, AF messes up more than it saves..

Just get a good split prism, and go crazy! A 200 F/2.8 for ~$200 USD, and a Zeiss at that! Come on, and people think those big flourite doorstops called L lenses are good. Just wait till they see what you can pull out of a Medium format Zeiss lens on a DSLR with a CCD with a weak AA filter.

Now you all know your curious!
07-17-2007, 06:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Blwnhr.

Bigma is an ok lens considering its price for the quality of photos it is capble of producing.

Lots of people post a lot of photos using this lens. And many great shots too.

As many people have suggested, this lens is unsharp at long end from 430mm onwards. One stop down can sharpen the image a lot better with compromise of lowering shutter speed while catching fast moving subject.

Of course, air quality and lighting is important when you use 500mm lens. I think this lens is really limited by its aperture only usable around f8 at long end.

I do not have many successful shots on moving objects. Here are a few samples...

For me, 50mm with brightest aperture of f4 is a bit silly. The colour is a bit sad as well, lacking contrast and colour. Like this one ...

And no, it is not heavy. Not as heavy as it looks. I found it relatively portable comparing to most of Canon L lenses. Quite convinient to hold just one lens covering all the focal lengths. Though the lens is prone to dust getting side the front element...

I am not that into motor sports hence not many trial shots in the similar nature.

But I doubt this lens is suitable for indoor sports or agile birding photography ...

Cheers
07-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I contacted Tamron about their recently announced 70-200 f/2.8 XR Di. I got the standard "We have no further information at this time".

However, the rep that responded to me tacked a PS on to her email, and in 'wink-wink, nod" style fashion she said "If you contact me on or around August 15, I should have more definite pricing and availablilty information"

Just a FWIW....this is one lens I'm personally looking forward to....especially if it's performance is close to the 28-75...
07-17-2007, 09:30 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Thanks for the info! I've been thinking of emailing Tamron again, I inquired about the lens a few months ago and they didn't have any info for me at the time. August 15th, that works!

QuoteOriginally posted by jgmankos Quote
I contacted Tamron about their recently announced 70-200 f/2.8 XR Di. I got the standard "We have no further information at this time".

However, the rep that responded to me tacked a PS on to her email, and in 'wink-wink, nod" style fashion she said "If you contact me on or around August 15, I should have more definite pricing and availablilty information"

Just a FWIW....this is one lens I'm personally looking forward to....especially if it's performance is close to the 28-75...
07-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MShawn63 Quote
I was hoping to find the 100-300 F4, but everywhere I found that it is carried, the lens is on back order with no shipping date.
I have a real horror story trying to buy that lens in Pentax mount.

It was available a few weeks ago. I live on LI, near Sigma USA. They recommended me to a local Dealer to order it; dealer was happy to do so and took my money. I figured, I'm in... ya!

A few weeks go buy, a week after Dealer says Sigma said it would be arriving there. No lens to be had anymore. The salesman made a ruckass yelling @ people up the mgmt chain (so he tells me). Good I thought. However I learn later the dealer/retailer may have check Wednesday (I realize, only after I called -them-!) but did not put the order in until Friday. A full 6 days after taking my order and deposit!

So now I'm about to leave for Tanzania the 1st week in August and w/o a good long lens. There's a chance either 50-500 or 100-300 will hit land before I leave, but it's cutting it close. Trolling eBay and there's some hits there. I don't want to buy grey market and want the 4year USA warranty; after checking with the manufacturer I find some of the things on there are.

...So, with fingers crossed, hopefully I'll get one of them.

Last edited by m8o; 07-17-2007 at 10:30 AM.