Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #31
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote
Woohoo!
50-500 is being dispatched tomorrow. ETA Monday –Tuesday.
Battery grip is in the same box.
The Sigma rep I was working with told me they just completed their manufacturing run for Pentax so I should have been able to get a 300 f/4 or Bigma before I left 1st week in August (but I got the 300 f/2.8 instead anyway). So there should be a lot of happy Sigma owners soon if you have been waiting for them; they should be landing soon.

07-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
The Sigma rep I was working with told me they just completed their manufacturing run for Pentax so I should have been able to get a 300 f/4 or Bigma before I left 1st week in August (but I got the 300 f/2.8 instead anyway). So there should be a lot of happy Sigma owners soon if you have been waiting for them; they should be landing soon.
I hope your rep is giving you good info. I have been waiting with the 50-500mm on order for over a month. I know it's not all that long but it seems like forever.
07-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery
That was the info my Pentax repairer gave me too. They did a production run on the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 (non macro) as well. He got confirmation that it was shipped from Japan last week . Still waiting
07-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

For anyone else waiting to buy a Bigma (sigma 50-500mm) for Pentax mount hereris an email reply I received today when I inquired about availability......

This lens should be available in late August early September.

Thank you,

Rory O’Donoghue
Customer service/technical assistance
Sigma Corporation of America
New Sigma SD 14 Digital SLR
New 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM
New 70 mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
Outdoor Photographer "Editor's Choice Award"
New 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC
Sigma Corporation of America
Tel. 631.585.1144
Fax 631.585.1895

07-27-2007, 09:47 PM   #35
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's frustrating, and contradictory to what I was told. I was told they find out Friday (yesterday @ this point) what they'll be getting next week; then it gets distributed to all the retailers. I was told they should be getting them this upcoming week or the week after latest. But maybe it's the process of distributing them to the retailers that adds some weeks? But a Month?

...Perhaps call, and ask for Gina. I have my lens because of her and noone else but her. She cared. (I was very nice, perhaps sad even with my sob story about the retailer they recommended to me, who I went to but screwed me over by not putting in an order in until 7 days after getting my down-payment, and [the lesser] lens I tried to order was gone by then)
07-29-2007, 06:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guess what I got delivered to my work today?

Not really hard was it

Photos to come.....
07-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Guess what I got delivered to my work today?

Not really hard was it

Photos to come.....
Congrats

Im trying to decide between one of these and a 100-300 f4 at the moment.

07-29-2007, 07:29 PM   #38
Inactive Account

Next thing you know, you will want a BushHawk shoulder mount to lug that thing around lol.

Congrats. I am sure you will enjoy the lens.
07-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Congrats on your lens.

I'll have to live vicariously through your photos until mine gets delivered. Waiting is not my strong suit. Four to five weeks of waiting is going to be a killer for me.
07-29-2007, 08:53 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -spam- Quote
Congrats

Im trying to decide between one of these and a 100-300 f4 at the moment.
I'd go the 100-300 just for the speed, if the budget allowed, but after 20-30 test shots in my lunch hour I'm really impressed by the colour out of this lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Chako Quote
Next thing you know, you will want a BushHawk shoulder mount to lug that thing around lol.

Congrats. I am sure you will enjoy the lens.
Haha, need to get on the weight bench, that's for certain!

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
Congrats on your lens.

I'll have to live vicariously through your photos until mine gets delivered. Waiting is not my strong suit. Four to five weeks of waiting is going to be a killer for me.
I'll be sure to snap anything and everything to help you out.

Any requests, lol.
07-30-2007, 05:31 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Request yeah !! Action shots ! Things moving people , cars , birds - I was thinking of the lens for some Football games (Canadian Football that is) -

I have seen some impressive long range shots of stationary images.

I would assume good light is a critera - if you could post the exif data or at least ISO / AMP and shutter speed that would be cool - I am living through your viewfinder for now hahah

thx.......dy
07-30-2007, 05:54 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haha, moving things are my speciality! Motorsport is what I bought the lens for.

I will try to get some shots at lunch today, it is overcast so should be a good test.

Is Canadian football anything like American football? I know it's different to Australian football, lol. Well I am going to shoot some European football (soccer) on Saturday (weather permitting) so this will be a fantastic chance for me to shoot a subject close to what you'll be using the lens for.

I'll post EXIF for you no problems.

Back to the lens, I have a quick query. The tri/mono-pod mount ring grabs a bit. Meaning when I go to rotate the camera in the ring it grabs and isn't a smooth action. I've checked for edges in the plastic but can't find anything so figure it's just because it's dry.

Does anyone know of a product I could put on it to lube it up without making a mess?

I was thinking just a tiny bit of Inox (like CRC or WD40 but better), but it's messy and I don't want that kind of thing near a new lens so then I thought of Dry-Lube. This is designed for car-door catchers and the like. It is dry, it doesn't crystalize and go hard, if you get it on clothes it doesn't stain, so I figure it could be the go. Just a little around the ring. Thoughts?
07-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Back to the lens, I have a quick query. The tri/mono-pod mount ring grabs a bit. Meaning when I go to rotate the camera in the ring it grabs and isn't a smooth action. I've checked for edges in the plastic but can't find anything so figure it's just because it's dry.

Does anyone know of a product I could put on it to lube it up without making a mess?

I was thinking just a tiny bit of Inox (like CRC or WD40 but better), but it's messy and I don't want that kind of thing near a new lens so then I thought of Dry-Lube. This is designed for car-door catchers and the like. It is dry, it doesn't crystalize and go hard, if you get it on clothes it doesn't stain, so I figure it could be the go. Just a little around the ring. Thoughts?
In the past week or so I have emailed Sigma Customer Service twice and received replies back in a day or two. My suggestion is that you contact Sigma and see what they reccomend. I would not use a petroleum based lubricant or a powder like graphite without checking with them first.

I'm pretty sure that the mounting ring is eaisly removed from the lens. At least the mounting ring on my Sigma 135-400mm does. I have to assume that it's similar. Did you take the ring off and check to make sure nothing was stuck under it?
07-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
Did you take the ring off and check to make sure nothing was stuck under it?
Yes I did, that's how I knew there were no sharp edges and the like.

I will talk to the people I got the lens from, they are the service agents.

Dry-Lube is non-petrolium so it doesn't hurt anything, it's just slippery. I wouldn't use graphite powder as that would find its way into the lens guaranteed.
07-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #45
Inactive Account

You should not have to use anything in the first place. Mine rotates inside its tripod mount smoothly.

Hope you guys don't mind me posting a few more shots with the bigma..even though these were taken with the 20D.

Some bird action shots.