Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Does anyone know if a Vivitar Series 1 100-500mm lens will fit on a Pentax K-m?

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I have a pentax K-m camera and my friend has a Vivitar Series 1 100-500 5.6-8MC Macro lens. It does not fit my camera as is but I was wondering if there was an adapter that would work so I could use that lens on my camera?? My friend was told it was a bayonet K mount? Does that sound right? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

04-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
graphicgr8s

If it were a K mount it would fit. Minolta and Mamiya, to name 2 also have bayonet mounts. And the lenses are not interchangeable between brands.
04-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So if it was used on a Minolta then it won't work for mine is that correct?
04-01-2010, 11:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cobra k-m Quote
So if it was used on a Minolta then it won't work for mine is that correct?
That is correct. Sony bought Minolta and some Minolta lenses fit Sony dSLRs, but they'll never work on Pentax systems. Which is a dirty rotten shame, because I have some superior Minolta glass I can't do anything with. Bugger all.

04-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That is correct. Sony bought Minolta and some Minolta lenses fit Sony dSLRs, but they'll never work on Pentax systems. Which is a dirty rotten shame, because I have some superior Minolta glass I can't do anything with. Bugger all.
I also have some decent Minolta glass that I can still use. Just not on my Pentax cameras.
04-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of the old Vivitar and Sigma lenses for K mount do not fit on modern DSLRs due to a large flange. This can be trimmed off, but better not try it on your friend's lens!
04-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Ack!

Ack!

Yes, I bought a manual focus Vivitar 70-210 mm SMS Macro zoom lens labeled "P/K-A mount" and it won't fit on my K200D

Good thing it only cost me $18!!!

It is the black metal flange that runs next to the aperture prong, the flange on this Vivitar zoom is huge, it goes almost 1/3 of the way around the bayonet mount, and the far end of it hits the frame of the camera internally at the bottom of the mount; the flange would have to be sawed off.

I'll have to see if it fits my K1000, pretty sure it will, but beware of large flanges.

04-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
Some of the old Vivitar and Sigma lenses for K mount do not fit on modern DSLRs due to a large flange. This can be trimmed off, but better not try it on your friend's lens!
Nick and Ebworthen, you beat me to it. The mount on the S1 is definitely worth taking another look at. If it says it is K mount, it will fit once the flange is taken care of. I had a Soligar with the same problem. Usually the piece the flange is on can be removed. Take it off and the lens will probably mount fine, assuming it is a K mount. While you have the flange piece off, cut/file down the flange to "normal" size and reinstall. Some people lop the whole thing off completely.

I just suggest to do your cutting/grinding to the flange without it on the lens to prevent damage to the lens as well as keeping the metal filings away.
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #9

Thanks tvfd911,

The Vivitar 70-210 does indeed fit my K1000 35mm film classic model ;-)

A shame it won't fit my K200, it looks as though they intentionally made it so any lens with a long flange wouldn't fit (weight?). Dunno.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try removing the ring because the lens is super sharp and smooth on my old K1000.
04-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #10

Good News! UPDATE Got it to work

I removed the black metal ring containing the flange that wouldn't allow the lens to fit.

It then fit right onto my K200 and I bet would fit fine on a Km.

There were 2 very small screws that I removed with a jewelers screwdriver and then the ring popped right off. I'm assuming the the matte black ring and flange are there to protect the f-stop diaghram lever (?).

Anyways, the lens fit perfect after that and worked well. With a conversion factor of 1.5 for film to digital the 70-210mm is in the digital range of 105-315mm so I'll need a monopod or tripod to hold it still when zooming.

The K200 has a lot of settings for manual lenses, including using the autofocus sensor to tell you when you have good focus - and it will take the picture when you are focused automatically (you are the focus motor though).

If you want more info or pictures let me know.