Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Questions about Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8 and Pentax K100D Super

Hi,

I just bought a Vivitar Series 1 28-105mm f/2.8-3.8 (here is a link of someone else who sold the exact same lens) from one of the forum members which works good.

Though I have a Pentax K100D Super and this lens is seen has a manual lens, meaning I have to use it like it was a M lens even if it has an A on the aperture ring and there is all the 'pins' on the mount to 'talk' with the camera.

Is there any known problem or things I should look into to make this lens automatic?

Also, if any of you has specification of that lens it would be welcome.

Thanks,
Yael

UPDATE: the lens may have a Ricoh pin

Last edited by YJD; 04-02-2010 at 08:09 AM.
04-02-2010, 08:27 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Vivitar S1 28-105 f2.8 - f3.5 is an A type lens or at least mine is. Very cool all around lens to have. Macro functions from about 90mm to 105mm. Don't know what the ratio is, probably 1:2. The only thing that is strictly manual about it is the focus. Beyond that you can shoot in all modes using your camera to talk to the lens. Enjoy it..

04-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #3

The worst lens I ever bought and I bought it from new. Wouldn't focus beyond 8m, but I never got round to sending it back, partly because I thought I'd just use it close up, but the optics are so bad it's hard to manually focus and the results aren't that special.

They usually have the Ricoh pin, but mines never been a problem.

Mine has a SN starting with 09 which means it was made by Cosina. I read somewhere on the web that the only good version of this lens was made by Kino (Kiron) SN 22xxxx I came across a Kiron branded one recently and it is much better lens, but massive for what it is.

Paid the princely sum of 19 UKP for one that was like new off ebay. Needs a lens 67mm screw in lens hood though the front element has no protection at all.

shim

Last edited by shim; 04-03-2010 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Changed maker from Komine 28 to Cosina 09
04-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!
My problem is my camera doesn't detect the aperture even when the aperture ring is set on A.
Could that be a problem between my camera ant the Ricoh pin?

04-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The lens does have the Vivitar version of the Ricoh pin. It should be rounded enough so it doesn't cause trouble. My copy worked fine in the A position. The function of the A pin is pretty simple on KA mount lenses. The pin sticks out when the aperture ring is in A position and retracts when the ring is set somewhere else. It's spring loaded so the lens can mount without interference. It makes electrical contact between the lens mount and the camera's A pin, the slightly recessed one. You should make sure it's clean, that it sticks out when the ring is in A, and that it makes a connection to the lens mount. Here's a photo of the lens. The red arrow marks the A pin, the green arrow marks where the Ricoh pin used to be.

When you get the A position working, you may notice that you can set f2.8 even at 105mm. That's just a flaw in the way the KA mount works with variable aperture zooms. The other thing about this lens is the yellow color cast. Colors are a lot different than a Pentax lens. Consider shooting RAW for greater flexibility in correcting this.
04-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #6
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's a great information.
Do I need to remove the Ricoh pin?
I will check about that A pin to see if it works or not.

Thanks Dave, I might come back tomorrow to let you know if it will work better with your advice.

For Shim, my works fine, focusing is easy. Though I don't remember what my serial starts with but I think mine was made by Cosina (really not sure about that)

PS: I always shoot RAW, so i'm good!
04-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shim Quote
The worst lens I ever bought and I bought it from new. Wouldn't focus beyond 8m, but I never got round to sending it back, partly because I thought I'd just use it close up, but the optics are so bad it's hard to manually focus and the results aren't that special.

They usually have the Ricoh pin, but mines never been a problem.

Mine has a SN starting with 28 which means it was made by Komine. I read somewhere on the web that the only good version of this lens was made by Kino (Kiron) SN 22xxxx I came across a Kiron branded one recently and it is much better lens, but massive for what it is.

Paid the princely sum of 19 UKP for one that was like new off ebay. Needs a lens 67mm screw in lens hood though the front element has no protection at all.

shim
The OP's lens is Cosina-built. It does use a 67mm filter.
04-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #8

Viv S1 28-105

Yael

If you have the ViV S1 Cosina Version (Code begins 09 with a 67mm filter) it is a VERY good lens. I have it from new from the mid eighties. It is a vari-focal rather than a true zoom so you have to re-focus each time you zoom.

I have a test report from the time produced by Camera Weekly in the UK. It was tested against the Tamron 28-135 f4-4.5 and the Minolta 35-105 f.3.5-4.5. It blew them both away. Summary was that 'The better part of 170 may seem a lot to pay for a lens that offers less choice of focal lengths than a Superzoom. But this Vivitar lens is a top class product which will easily out-perform both standard zoom rivals and the superzooms' I can vouch for that

Don't worry if the 'A'setting doesn't work. Mine does but it's not the most reliable. I often have to + or - the EV; better in manual anyway.

Specifications:

14 MC elements in 12 groups
Min focal distance: 0.2m (7.87 ins)
Max Repro raqtio: 1:2.5 @ 28mm

Give it a go. I'm sure you will not be disappointed

Phil

04-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Phil for the specification.
I bought mine for $103 shipping included.

The previous owner said the A setting worked fine on his K100D Super, so I'll try to play with either tonight or this weekend. But I'm going to keep it, I did a few test shot a love it!

Took me sometime to figure out how to focus, then I found myself like an idiot when I found it how it works.
04-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just tried everything (I think) and it still doesn't work... I'm a bit disappointed but I had manual lens before and it was kind of fun to shoot with them. Anyway the lens takes great pictures.

Thank you all of you for your help!
04-03-2010, 02:40 AM   #11

Apologies to Komine I've just checked my lens and it is an 09 so it's Cosina with the 67mm filter I've changed the original post accordingly.

Surprise, surprise this post shows a photo of how the front element can be adjusted for infinity focus I did strip the lens down about a month ago, because I always thought that there would be some method of adjustment. I missed it, because the front element/spring area looks sealed... it's actually just black tape. I bought the lens in May 1990 so after almost 20 years it looks like I may finally get it to work.

Yael that link also explains how to fix the A setting.

Phil I bought mine because of a lens test in the Christmas 1988 edition of a booklet called "Which Lens" published by Haymarket. Possibly the same tests as Camera Weekly. They were proper resolution tests and this lens was almost off the graph reaching 120 lpm by f/8 One of the highest scoring of probably 300 lenses tested. The summary was:

BEST BUY: A tremendous lens giving greater than average zoom range but losing nothing in quality. Score 87.5

Strangely the Pentax A 35-105 (which a lot of people rate) only scored 77.8 and took until f/11 to reach 110 lpm.

shim

Last edited by shim; 04-03-2010 at 02:44 AM. Reason: sausages for fingers ;-)
04-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Shim, the link is really good.

Mine doesn't have a A Button Ball Bearing, that would explain why. Being manual isn't that big of a deal since it takes great pictures.
04-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #13

Yael... All that happens with the A button is that it moves the lens round enough for the small screw to push down on the A switch. You might be able to short it out some other way and leave it on permanent otherwise your aperture changes as you zoom.

I wish I'd known 20 years ago how easy it was to do the infinity adjustment. I just put it on an old Super A body and turned the front lens until a white drain pipe on a house 150 m away lined up on the split image...... It now works for the 1st time since new..... It is NEW ;-)

A quick test against the Kiron (which doesn't have the A button) shows very little in it for sharpness, but the Vivitar's a bit yellow. Setting WB as 4700K in sunlight seems about right.
The Kiron has much better contrast and would be better in poor light.

shim
04-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't care too much about the A switch, though I might give it a try!