Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Reverse mount macro fun

Hey everyone, I'm sure a lot of you already know about this, but I figured I would give an example of results possible with the K-X. I have a really old Olympus OM 1.8 50mm lens that I duct taped...yes you read correctly...duct taped backwards to the front of my Pentax 18-55 kit lens. I put the kit lens at 55mm. With some lights and a tripod I got, imo, some good results:

So if you have an old 50mm laying around, put it to some use!

PS: Full size views available here: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4042/4484426929_5fb5bb4314_o.jpg
and here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2708/4484422527_24e9c44076_o.jpg

04-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you have any shorter lens - like 28mm or less (with an aperture ring) you should try to reverse mount it to the camera directly.
I'm surprised your shots came out so good but this isn't full size so maybe a single lens solution would look even better.
Still very good.
04-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, those look great!

I wonder what are the optical advantages/disadvantages to what you did, reversing a single lens, and using many tubes on the same lens.
04-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There's more than one way to skin a cat, I mean to use reversed lenses. A little more solid than duct tape is a thread reversal ring, where you use any lens that will fit (the shorter the better) as a diopter lens, as you did. This way, you retain automation and control of your primary lens.

Another way is to use a reversal adapter, quite cheap, with a PK bayonet on one side and a thread matching your lens on the other. Most lenses are quite sharp in this mode, and you can add tubes or bellows for more magnification. This may be the final disposition of a Canon 24 I'm stuck with.

A similar use, unreversed, is to get a couple cheap sets of macro tubes (from the same source) -- one with PK mounts, the other with OM or F or FD or MD or whatever mounts. Mix and match as needed. Now you can cross-mount lenses for any system, all for the greater glory of macrodom.

Reversed or extended, ANY lens becomes a macro lens. I'm drowning in them...

04-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I second the suggestion for a male-to-male ring for reversing a lens in front of another lens. They can be had for under $10. I use an old SMC 50mm f1.4 in front of a 100 mm macro lens for some closer than 1:1 magnification. It's fun to do this, though a flash is really necessary for this.
04-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I also would definitely suggest the reversal ring. The reason I don't use one or have one is because my OM 50mm was dropped at some point in the past and the threads in one area are crushed in a little bit. It would be impossible to screw anything into it. Otherwise I would bypass the duct tape!