Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Find/wait for FA31mm or go DA35mm Macro

I'm really quite interested in picking up an FA 31m ltd, but funds dictate that im bound to waiting to find one on ebay - and they seem fairly hard to come by.
So, to really fill a gap in my prime line up (i have the 77 ltd, 50F1.4, DFA 100mm Macro WR plus the Sigma 10-20 and thinking about a samyang 8mm fisheye for some fun) i feel need something around the 30-40 mark

Is it worth all the expense for the 31?
How does the DA35 stack up as an alternative?? (i like the idea of some slightly less tight macro shots - im *trying* to do abstracted nudes)
Ive seen plenty of nice images from both... Or should i also be considering the FA43mm ltd or the DA40?

Aaaargh! Too much choice, too many nice prime lenses!

04-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Try Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com
04-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #3

I used to own the DA 35. It's an excellent lens, but I finally sold it and bought tha FA 31. DA 35 is better for close photos and less distortion. FA 31 is faster (f1.8) and has better bokeh. To my eye, they are both equally sharp.
04-02-2010, 07:25 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
A vote for the DA 40

I own both the FA50 1.4 and the DA 40 2.8, and even through they are similar in focal length, the "look" of the resulting image is so different, I appreciate having the choice. Also, the DA 40 is really tiny, so it facilitates a compact package if you need one.

If course this leads to a gaping hole in my personal AF lens collection between by DA10-17 fisheye and my DA 40, which is currently filled by a capable M28/2.8.

The DA 35 is tempting, but I don't use macro so much, so I went for the less expensive, faster focusing, and smaller DA40.

The FA31 is too expensive for me, so the DA21 is probably my next lens. As you have the Sigma 10-20 already, I can see the FA31 appeal. But try out the DA 40 in the mean time.

04-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #5

Original Poster
'Trying' a lens in a smallish city in Australia isnt so easy - most places dont stock more than a couple of Pentax lenses if you are lucky, just the usual Canon and Nikon...

Actually, I think its a case of 31 or 35 AND a 40 or 43 kind of thing, but first I'll try and lock down the low 30 end i think... decisions decisions.

again, I think I like the idea of a wider angle macro, but the way people talk up the 31, I dont want to not give that a go! Had been watching a sale on ebay, but the seller pulled the sale because he 'decided i didnt want to sell it', rather irritatingly...
04-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
'Trying' a lens in a smallish city in Australia isnt so easy - most places dont stock more than a couple of Pentax lenses if you are lucky, just the usual Canon and Nikon...

Actually, I think its a case of 31 or 35 AND a 40 or 43 kind of thing, but first I'll try and lock down the low 30 end i think... decisions decisions.

again, I think I like the idea of a wider angle macro, but the way people talk up the 31, I dont want to not give that a go! Had been watching a sale on ebay, but the seller pulled the sale because he 'decided i didnt want to sell it', rather irritatingly...
I have taken an eye on your lens collection, I don't think you need a 31, cos 31*1.5=45, for what?
you have potrait lens, and wide angle. For those range from 30 to 40, as the sandard lens on FF, if you do need one, I think macro is useful...
04-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Is there anyone that "rents" lenses in Australia. We have at least one company here in the U.S. that will express Pentax gear on a rental basis. That's a good way to go on the more expensive glass.
04-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #8

For me, the Da 35 macro is the best
I say this only because the macro is more space, both as a macro to landscapes, is a single lens

04-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Two questions should sort it out for you:
a) do you need/want macro capabilities?
b) does f2.8 rock your boat enough?

if both answers are yes, than there's no point inn thinking about 31. 35ltd is apparently great lens andd shooting at the same apertures I doubt you would see difference at other setting than f2.8 Where I expect 31 to out do 35.

If on the other side you need or like f stop faster than 2.8 and you aren't so much about flowers and other macro stuff then 31 is superb lens...

as for the questiion from henryjing: ...=45 for what? for the same reason why 43 and 50s were so popular an usefull on film... honestly, if one wants non macro normal FOV on APSC I don't think there better option for Pentax then 31ltd.

BR
Peter
04-03-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
I have taken an eye on your lens collection, I don't think you need a 31, cos 31*1.5=45, for what?
you have potrait lens, and wide angle. For those range from 30 to 40, as the sandard lens on FF, if you do need one, I think macro is useful...
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Two questions should sort it out for you:
a) do you need/want macro capabilities?
b) does f2.8 rock your boat enough?

if both answers are yes, than there's no point inn thinking about 31. 35ltd is apparently great lens andd shooting at the same apertures I doubt you would see difference at other setting than f2.8 Where I expect 31 to out do 35.

If on the other side you need or like f stop faster than 2.8 and you aren't so much about flowers and other macro stuff then 31 is superb lens...

as for the questiion from henryjing: ...=45 for what? for the same reason why 43 and 50s were so popular an usefull on film... honestly, if one wants non macro normal FOV on APSC I don't think there better option for Pentax then 31ltd.

BR
Peter
I tend to disagree, the 31mm is excellent for indoor as well as outdoor shots. You do need the extra stops for flash photography and also the bit extra wide for use as street lens. Therefore, neither the 35mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4 can do the same. The 43mm ltd is equivalent to my 50mm in film days as standard lens. I have all three, 31mm, 43mm and FA 50mm 1.4 but I sold the 50mm and get several MF 50mm 1.4 instead.
04-03-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've tried both and have the DA 35. It's a phenomenal lens. At half the price of the 31, it lacks nothing. It excels at both indoor and outdoor and macro photography; it is the Swiss Army Knife of prime lenses. 2.8 is easily fast enough for indoor, unless you want a really shallow DOF, where 31 is marginally better.

So, to answer your questions using your criteria, you would be well-served by the DA 35. Most bang for the $$$ by a longshot.
04-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #12

Original Poster
Ha, now im even more confused...

I had been leaning to the FA31 simply because of its ridiculously good write ups (and really, this is why im back in SLR world) but liked the DA for its extra macro capabilities and slightly wider angle (though ive only had the DFA 100mm WR for a few days, im impressed but find how tight it is limiting) especially with the abstracted nudes thing.

Maybe i just need both?

Should i stop bidding on the 43LTD?? hehe!
04-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #13

for indoors/low light
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 would be a better alternative?
04-04-2010, 02:42 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Ha, now im even more confused...

I had been leaning to the FA31 simply because of its ridiculously good write ups (and really, this is why im back in SLR world) but liked the DA for its extra macro capabilities and slightly wider angle (though ive only had the DFA 100mm WR for a few days, im impressed but find how tight it is limiting) especially with the abstracted nudes thing.

Maybe i just need both?

Should i stop bidding on the 43LTD?? hehe!
Keep bidding it too is a stellar lens

By the way where do you live?
04-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Keep bidding it too is a stellar lens
Hmmm, i think one lens at a time. Like I said, I have the 77ltd, the 100 Macro WR, the 50 F1.4, Sigma 10-20... Need to fill some gaps.
(plus also a Sigma F2.8 17-35 full frame and old school Tamron 28-200 full frame im thinking of replacing with the 18-250 for a travel lens)

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
By the way where do you live?
Adelaide
And before you Melbournites can start slagging us off, you *actually* need to visit Adelaide before commenting (though I personally love melbourne)
But i daresay you also have more chance of finding stores with Pentax lenses to test before you buy. Largely just Canikon stuff here...