Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Tamron 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DiII LD

Hi there.....has anybody actually purchased or tried out the new Tamron 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DiII LD in Pentax mount on a K10D or K100D body ? I have read some favourable reviews of this lens on other sites and am seriously considering it as a general walkaround lens for my new K10D. Naturally I would appreciate members opinions regarding both it's good and possibly bad points etc, so it's over to you.........

07-16-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi there.....has anybody actually purchased or tried out the new Tamron 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DiII LD in Pentax mount on a K10D or K100D body ? I have read some favourable reviews of this lens on other sites and am seriously considering it as a general walkaround lens for my new K10D. Naturally I would appreciate members opinions regarding both it's good and possibly bad points etc, so it's over to you.........
I own both the 18-200 and the new 18-250. Bought the latter a month ago as an upgrade from the former. I'm looking now to sell the 18-200.

I think both are very competent lenses. I have read that the 18-250 is supposed to be a bit better optically than the 18-200. I'm not the sort of person who stares at pixels under a microscope, but I can't honestly say that I see a big difference. The good news, I think, is that the 18-200 was a nice lens, and the 18-250 is definitely no worse, in spite of the longer zoom range.

Will
07-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I own both 28-300 and new 18-250 XR. The lens, so far, is great for a walkaround lens, it's compact and lightweight and I find that the range is much more suitable and useful than the 28-300. Glass and quality-wise, I didnt see much of a difference between the 2, but then again I'm no expert. I'm more happy with the 18-250 and so am now looking to sell the 28-300
07-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Many thanks to both "WMBP" and "qdoan" for your invaluable comments. I find it highly intruiging that the Tamron 18-250 has replaced both the 18-200 and 28-300 in your respective affections ! It seems that it might well be worth the investment in this glass, even allowing for the fact that the supplied 18-55 kit lens duplicates the 18mm end of the Tamron. It's a pity that the K10D (body only) currently sells for nearly 50.00 MORE in the UK (or approx US $100.00) than the K10D + 18-55mm package !! Have either of you (or anybody else for that matter) experienced any noticeable problems with either AF speed (locking on) in low light situations or alternatively visible Barrel Distortion/Pincushion at the extremes of this lens ?

Last edited by Confused; 07-18-2007 at 04:24 PM.
07-16-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I haven't really had any AF locking problems in low light situations. But generally, the darker it gets, I tend to switch to manual mode

There is some slight distortion near the edges at the extremely wide end, but that is somewhat expected of an all-in-one, walkaround lens. It doesn't bother me all that much. But then again, I have a 14mm/f2.8 on order to deal with wide angle shots.
07-17-2007, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Have either of you (or anybody else for that matter) experienced any noticeable problems with either AF speed (locking on) in low light situations or alternatively visible Barrel Distortion/Pincushion at the extremes of this lens ?
I never know how to answer questions like this, because I'm not sure whether the person asking the question is hyper-sensitive to these issues. I myself am not. I don't expect a $500 lens to behave like a $1000 lens (although I don't own any $1000 lenses, so I don't actually know how they behave). Anyway, my personal answer to your questions is that the 18-250 seems to focus quite satisfactorily, even in moderately low light, although as the light gets lower and lower, well, focusing eventually does become a problem. I say "focusing" rather than "auto-focusing" because I find it hard to focus in the dark manually. At some point, I stop shooting.

As for distortion at the extremes, I haven't noticed it myself and I do shoot a fair bit at the extreme ends of the lens, especially at the 250 end.

I have a lot of photos online taken with this lens, and many taken at 250mm (fewer at 18mm). Here is one example at 250, at a recent swim meet. You can turn the show-info option on and poke through that gallery to see other examples. Everything here was taken with the Tamron 18-250. NOTE that the light that day was generally not very good, as a thunderstorm was approaching (and the meet was eventually called prematurely because we saw lightning in the distance). Note also that these are not portraits, taken when I have all the time in the world to set up the shot. These are action shots taken in a very big hurry most of the time. Finally, I shoot raw almost exclusively and while I do sharpen in post-processing (in Adobe Lightroom), I'm not a fan of over-sharpening.

Anyway, I think it's a good lens, for my purposes and for the price.

Will
07-17-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to "WMBP" for your further response. I should explain that with a lifetime of experience under my belt using conventional 35mm & medium format film cameras, I am a relative newcomer to the world of digital SLR's. Photography can be a ruinous pastime and not wishing to bankrupt myself too severely, some years ago I purchased a Fuji S602Z 35-210mm 'bridge' camera. It's all-in-one design suited my particular travel needs at that period and anyway IMHO, digital SLR's were way too expensive for what they offered then. It is only over the last year or so that I believe the combination of technical advance and reasonable retail pricing has made me re-evaluate the digital SLR market. I am fortunately starting afresh without any 'legacy' glass to consider and whilst not expecting miracles in this field (the lens on the Fuji S602Z naturally suffered somewhat in the barrel distortion/pincushion stakes), I am simply trying to avoid buying something with the same inherent imperfections this time around....hence my original post. My only concern with the Tamron 18-250mm is that it is apparently specifically dedicated for use with APS-C sensors only and cannot be used on a full-frame Pentax digital SLR, should that fantasy ever come to pass....and maybe children if we all pray religiously each night, who knows what might miraculously materialize in our Christmas
stocking ??? Yeah I know, keep taking the temazapan........de-dah, de-dah, de-dah.........

Last edited by Confused; 12-21-2007 at 03:45 PM.
07-17-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There is an extensive review of the Tamron AF18-250 Di II LD AS (IF) in the August 2007 edition of SHUTTERBUG. The review is by Peter K Burian, who, as it happens, wrote the Magic Lantern book on the K10D, although the photos for the review seem to have been taken with a Canon Rebel XTi. Guess we shouldn't hold that against him. It doesn't look like this review is online yet at shutterbug.com, but you might want to pick up a copy at your local bookstore or wherever. I got it at my grocery store -- it's very widely distributed.

Bottom line: he likes the lens a lot. He does think that the optics of this lens are better than its predecessor's (the 18-200). He comments that, because the lens is optimized for aps-c sized sensor, you should not use it with a 35mm camera (or, I presume, a full-frame dslr). Why not? "While it will fit, the edges of the image will be black at some focal lenghts." He notes some slight barrel distortion in the 18-24mm range when shooting a brick wall from close range, but he rightly notes that this isn't real-world shooting.

That's enough -- I want to leave you something to learn if you pay for the mag!

Will

07-18-2007, 02:15 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
"WMBO" - thanks for that useful piece of information, although I may well have problems getting hold of this particular magazine over here. I understand it is an American publication and have actually never seen it on sale anywhere in the U.K., even at major newsagents/bookshops in London etc so I'll do some asking around.

Best regards
Richard
07-18-2007, 10:03 AM   #10

I just bought one, should have it on Friday, I'll post some pics so you can decide if it makes up for my complete lack of skill...
07-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thread moved to the lens forum- please remember to post in the correct category!

The 18-250mm lens is great for its price and zoom range- it's also compact and removes the burden of carrying multiple lenses on longs trips. IMO it wouldn't be a replacement for higher-end lenses such as primes, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-18-2007, 11:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMHO general lenses tend to be that.... very good in all areas of focal length but usually there are some trade offs somewhere.
so if you put your mind set that it is an all purpose lens and not a million dollar one, you will always be satisfied.
for example: My fly rod I purchased will always be the best to me, as I never try another one for fear of my rod being a hunk of junk

if corner distortion and softness bothers you, then shoot a bit wider and then crop that area out. 10mp gives you lots of room to do this without pixelation

good luck with your purchase, let us know how you make out.

cheers

randy
07-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=slipchuck;77397]IMHO general lenses tend to be that.... very good in all areas of focal length but usually there are some trade offs somewhere.
so if you put your mind set that it is an all purpose lens and not a million dollar one, you will always be satisfied.

Couldn't agree more. I bought this lens specifically for a trip that I will be taking later in the year, so as to avoid packing a bunch of lenses and making frequent changes. Altough I intend to take a lot of pictures, that is not the primary purpose of the trip. I've played around with it a bit (not enough) and plan on doing a lot of shooting with it during the next few weeks, so as to understand it's limitations. As Slipchuck said, 10mp gives you a little latitude for cropping.

The pictures that I've taken so far, look pretty good. My criteria is how the prints look. Do a search on this forum; there are a couple of posts of pictures taken with this lens, that helped me make my decision.
07-18-2007, 04:53 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Dear Mo
Oops.....Sincere apologies for "clogging up" the Pentax DSLR forum with lenses and I will obviously try to avoid doing so inadvertently in future. I am but a relative newcomer and not yet entirely familiar with the proper way of doing things around here etc.....so back to the subject in hand.
I am fully aware that this type of superzoom lens involves inevitable compromises when compared against prime lenses, but I don't intend carting shedloads of individual heavy lenses around anymore whilst on vacation. Trying to locate the Pentax-mount Tamron 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DiII LD is not as easy as one might imagine in the U.K. For reasons which I shall explain shortly, I eventually decided to purchase my entire outfit consisting of a K10D (body only), Tamron 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DiII LD, D-BG2 battery grip, 3 x non-branded Li-on batteries, 62mm UV filter and other bits & bobs over the counter from SRS Microsystems in Watford, U.K. I'd noticed quite a few favourable comments about them previously on this forum. Their prices are extremely competitive, but perhaps more importantly they keep a really comprehensive selection of Pentax, Sigma & Tamron lenses & Pentax accessories in stock.The staff seem very knowledgeable and they even had the Pentax AF 540FGZ flashgun in stock which I couldn't seem to find anywhere else ! I have never bought from them before but was most impressed overall and am now a very satisfied customer. I've just spent the entire evening trying to absorb the relevant contents of the extensive instruction manual (although my eyes keep glazing over !), whilst leaving the camera firmly in it's box, apart from charging the spare batteries ! Anyhow I badly need my beauty sleep and will start giving the K10D a thorough workout in the morning.........

Last edited by Confused; 07-21-2007 at 07:42 AM.
07-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I've owned the 18-250 ever since it was available in the US for Pentax. I got it at a Tamron workshop in mid May and it was the only lens I took on our vacation to Peru and Machu Picchu. You can check out my Flickr site in my signature. I have lots of Tamron 18-250 shots in there.

I also have the 28-300 (older, non-Di version) and I really like it, so I wasn't sure the 18-250 was going to replace it. My 28-300 is a full-frame lens so I never saw any vignetting during wide shots. On the 18-250, you'll see it on occasion. However, it's easy to correct in software. The 18-250 does "hunt" in AF in low light at long focal lengths, and the 28-300 doesn't do it as much, even though they are the same apertures and the 28-300 is longer. All that said, after using the lens for a while, I've put away my 28-300 and use the 18-250 as my walk around/vacation lens. I've found that the difference between 18mm and 28mm is much more useful than the difference between 250mm and 300mm. As for image quality, I'm like Will in that I don't really pixel peep. I've found that both lenses produce acceptable images for me when viewed full screen (not 100% resolution) and when printed at 8x10. Indeed, the only photo contest I ever won was from an 8x10 print using the 28-300.

Here are some shots I've taken with the 18-250. You can see plenty more at my Flickr site. I even created a Flickr group for the 18-250, but haven't had anyone join yet. Hopefully, it will become a repository of shots using the 18-250 for people to see.