Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this Mold?

This greenish splotch is on the inside of the front element of one of my lenses. It's only about 2 or 3 mm wide, and it is at the edge of the glass. The white spots are surface dust.

If anybody can comment I would appreciate it.

Attached Images

04-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have no expertise in identifying such a thing, but I'm curious to know if it shows up in photos while using the lens. That is, can you see in in the viewfinder or in a final print/screen image?

I've often worried that tiny flecks of dust inside lenses would betray themselves once I put said lens on an extension tube, but it's always been a worry over nothing.
04-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your photos arent very clear. If it looks something like this, then yes, it's fungus:

04-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Forum Member

hm.. I may be wrong, but that looks more like somebody marked with a drytip pencil.
Has the cleans been cleaned, repaired or otherwise handled where they might've used something like that to mark lens elements?

Does not look like mold to me. Looks too synthetich and man-made.

04-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Doesn't look like mold to me either.
04-03-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The weird thing is that it is on the inside of the front element.

It's way out near the edge so I don't think it it shows up, at least I never noticed it. This lens has other problems though too that would keep me from using it. There is a hazy coating on one of the internal elements also.
04-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
The weird thing is that it is on the inside of the front element.

It's way out near the edge so I don't think it it shows up, at least I never noticed it. This lens has other problems though too that would keep me from using it. There is a hazy coating on one of the internal elements also.
I also had a hazy coating on one of the elemtns when my 50-135mm got soaked. Put it in a bag of dry rice for a few days and see if it is still there.