Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Question for DA*16-50

I wanna a zoom lens to cover this range, after comparing several lens, I almost decide to get this one.
I heard something about SDM problem on Pentax lens, so anybody has suggestions?
Another question, should I sell my DA 15, if I get this lens?

04-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
I wanna a zoom lens to cover this range, after comparing several lens, I almost decide to get this one.
I heard something about SDM problem on Pentax lens, so anybody has suggestions?
Some people have had their SDM focusing mechanisms fail. When it happens you are either stuck with a large repair bill or a manual focus lens. It hasn't happened to me but has to others. Just do a search on SDM Broken and you'll find more than you care to read. That is not to spook you. I've had mine for 3+ years now and it's still going strong. If it really concerns you, buy a Mack warranty when you buy the lens. Failures seem to occur after the Pentax warranty is expired.

Personally, I would not sell the DA15 Ltd unless it was the lens or food for survival.

04-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Some people have had their SDM focusing mechanisms fail. When it happens you are either stuck with a large repair bill or a manual focus lens. It hasn't happened to me but has to others. Just do a search on SDM Broken and you'll find more than you care to read. That is not to spook you. I've had mine for 3+ years now and it's still going strong. If it really concerns you, buy a Mack warranty when you buy the lens. Failures seem to occur after the Pentax warranty is expired.

Personally, I would not sell the DA15 Ltd unless it was the lens or food for survival.

Thanks. you seems to have a incredible lens family...
04-02-2010, 10:31 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Thanks. you seems to have a incredible lens family...
Yours isn't too shabby either

04-03-2010, 04:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My own copy of the 16-50/2.8 broke completely after a couple of weeks use, not zoom action, no AF. After the warranty repair, everything works fine. The lens is optically very good and the 16mm shorter fl is very useful for me. These 2mm and the silent SDM AF where the reasons I bough that lens, already having the Sigma 18-50/2.8, which provides image quality en par with the Pentax, except for a slightly different rendering.

So, even if the 16-50 has some quality problems, it is a very good lens, worth having. But it is no substitute for your 15/4, as the 16-50 is very big and bulky. The 15mm is on my list for the next lens buys, because it offers a great compromise between compactness and image quality.

Ben
04-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got both the DA15 and DA*1650. As some said above, they are not meant to replace each other. Most time I'd carry the DA15. But the DA*1650 is really handy for events.
04-03-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
Site Supporter

You should sell it to me. I can pick it up from you this afternoon...cash in hand!
04-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The lens has had issues with the SDM. Mine also broke and was replaced. This has not been true for everyone of course. It has been rumoured that they are repairing them with newly designed motors (Ben K said this about his repair) but there's been no official announcement.

I'd give the Tamron 17-50mm a serious look as well if weather seals are not an issue.

04-03-2010, 06:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did the weight bother anbody here? I find it is so heavy...
04-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter

It is big, bulky, and heavy. I find that it makes me shoot with my primes more often then I did with the kit zoom. On one hand that's good, because I should get more use out of my primes. But on the other hand, it's strange that a top-quality lens would make you want to use something else more often. But sometimes, I just really want something easier to walk around with.

I find that a lot of the size and weight issues with the DA* 16-50 are mitigated by using the K-7's battery grip. Having that extra bit on the bottom makes it easier to support one-handed. And at the end of the day, the 16-50 isn't *that* big and heavy. It's a bit unnerving when you've just upgraded from the kit lens, but it's really nothing unmanageable.
04-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In short, we travel a lot, I normally take 4 to 6 lenses with me, however the 16-50 hardly comes off the camera. It is sturdy, sharp, fast, sealed....

- Bert
04-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The weight doesn't bother me. It's a fact of life with f2.8 zooms most of the time. They often have large front elements. I've used this lens on a K20D with a grip and side mounted flash for 6-8 hours at a time. That's a heavy kit but still manageable. Certainly not your vacation package though.
04-03-2010, 10:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The weight doesn't bother me. It's a fact of life with f2.8 zooms most of the time. They often have large front elements. I've used this lens on a K20D with a grip and side mounted flash for 6-8 hours at a time. That's a heavy kit but still manageable. Certainly not your vacation package though.
Though I agree in general, I must also say, that the Sigma 18-50/2.8 is considerably smaller, with a filter thread of only 67mm, compared to the DA's 77mm and overall much less bulk. The same was true for the Pentax FA* 80-200/2.8 versus the Sigma 70-200/2.8 - in that case it was a major factor for me, when buying a fast tele zoom. The Pentax seemed just too big for my taste.

Ben
04-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Ben_Edict: Though I agree in general, I must also say, that the Sigma 18-50/2.8 is considerably smaller, with a filter thread of only 67mm, compared to the DA's 77mm and overall much less bulk. The same was true for the Pentax FA* 80-200/2.8 versus the Sigma 70-200/2.8 - in that case it was a major factor for me, when buying a fast tele zoom. The Pentax seemed just too big for my taste.

Ben
Yes. The 67mm filter thread was another factor in why I chose the Tamron 17-50 f 2.8.
04-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Jewelltrail, your's included, all the reviews here (except one) on the 17-50mm Tamron are very positive.

Yeah that's why I said "most of the time". You can find a slower zoom at 49mm or 52mm and then the faster lenses are larger like my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 at 67mm. But sometimes the Pentax versions have the largest front ends for some reason.