Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar Auto Telephoto

Hi,
I just bought a Vivitar Auto Telephoto 200mm f3.5. I am not concerned at this time about its IQ, but the Auto part has me puzzled. This has M42 screw threads, pretty sure it is the T4 mount. It has a small "M-->" rounded lever that stops the lens down the the selected f stop, but it does not stay in the manual position. It springs back from manual and the aperture snaps back open again. It is really hard to hold the lever while taking a picture. This mount also has the pin protruding from the rear, which would work just fine on a Spotmatic, but I don't know how to make it work on my K20D.

If someone has a solution, I would greatly appreciate it. The lens itself is in nearly perfect condition, no nicks, scratches or other signs of wear. Just in case anyone is curious, the serial number indicates it is of Tokina manufacture.

04-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'll need to find my T4-M42 adapter. I'm not sure I still have it.

But IIRC, my T4-M42 adapter behaved the same way. In other words, it was "fully auto." You will need to make it "fully manual."

You can use something to jam the pin at the rear of the mount (toothpick and super-glue may work). Or you can modify the T4-M42 adapter. If you open up the T4-M42 adapter, it is obvious as what you need to do.

Or you can try to find a T4-pK or TX-pK adapter. Just be patient.
04-03-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If I knew how to open up the mount, I wouldn't hesitate to jam the pin. So far, I haven't been able to get the mount off the lens.
04-03-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a rectangular bulge on the ring below the aperture ring. It has a chrome rounded tab on it, and letters on the mount side like this: L<- ->O. Hold in the tab and turn the whole ring in the O direction. Initial friction is sometimes high when the mount hasn't been off for a while. The mount lifts off once the ring is turned to O - maybe 20 degrees rotation.

When you get the mount off, there are three black slotted screws around the rim, between the bayonet tabs. Remove those and the mount comes apart. I can't remember exactly what the internal mechanism looks like but I think removing one screw allows you to remove most of it and disable the pin. Or there might be a way to jam it.

04-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you, I have a full manual 200mm f3.5 lens. I also want to direct you to Steve's Pentax lens site The Vivitar 200mm f/3.5 T4 lens visits the duck pond - Page 3 - Steve's Digicams Forums
and to another site that Big Dawg referenced me to. They were both extremely helpful.
Glass, Metal and Silicium - Modification of a T4 to M42 adapter

Moderators might be able to put together a Sticky for those who want to use a Vivitar T4 or TX mount lens.