Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Nikon to Pentax Lens Adapter- Does it Work?

New Focusing Adapter mount Nikon Lens to PENTAX Camera - eBay (item 250590852191 end time Apr-03-10 04:11:54 PDT)

Anyone actually try one of these adapters with any successful results?

04-03-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I posted some general observations in the lens forum

basically they are a 1.25x TC, the optical correction does result in some magnificaton

the magnification really only makes it interesting for normal and tele lenses

because the magnification is slight the impact when I tested it with a 50mm F1.7 nikor lens was minimal
04-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Though this isn't totally out of place in the Beginners Corner but I'm going to move it to the lens forum for hopefully more exposure and input.
04-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

It depends on the lens you had in mind but there are a couple of other possibilities. If you are going to do this with a micro Nikkor, you can use one of the thinnest F extension tubes Nikon made and change out the camera mount side to a k-mount. this will put the lens just out of infinity focus but isn't a problem if the mission is macro.

The other option depending on lens is a reversible conversion to k-mount by replacing the F with a K. There are several threads around on the various ways to use pre AIS lens on dSLR Pentax bodies.

04-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I posted some general observations in the lens forum

basically they are a 1.25x TC, the optical correction does result in some magnificaton

the magnification really only makes it interesting for normal and tele lenses

because the magnification is slight the impact when I tested it with a 50mm F1.7 nikor lens was minimal
Similar to Lowell, I have this Nikon/Pentax adapter. I have found that it does work and I may use my Nikon lenses on the K10D in manual mode - subject to the TC effect.

When you pixel-peep there is a negative effect to the corrective lens - as would be expected by placing an intermediary glass between lens and sensor. Without pixel peeping generally OK - wides tend to purple fringe.

Not exciting enough results to be useful in my opinion and I don't use it.

I actually find it more satisfying to use my manual pentax lenses on the Nikon by using a simlar pentax-nikon adapter.

I have one old manual Nikon lens (a Sigma XQ 135 2.8) which will actually physically fit on the K10D, (much like some of the non-ai lenses) and works just great - including focus to infinity.
04-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

a related question

I have a Nikkor 58/2 which I think is the AiS version. I can and do force-fit this onto K-mounts. The bottom-most part of the aperture ring has two metal protrusions: a rim extending from the f/11 mark about -75 degrees, and a nub about +90 degrees from the f/11 mark. These protrusions rub against the K-mount, impeding aperture ring movement. I thought I read somewhere about grinding off those protrusions. Has anyone here done that? How? IMHO the Nikkor would fit a K-mount much better with those gone. The lens cost me only US$9 so I'm not worried about mucking up priceless glass.
04-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I have a Nikkor 58/2 which I think is the AiS version. I can and do force-fit this onto K-mounts. The bottom-most part of the aperture ring has two metal protrusions: a rim extending from the f/11 mark about -75 degrees, and a nub about +90 degrees from the f/11 mark. These protrusions rub against the K-mount, impeding aperture ring movement. I thought I read somewhere about grinding off those protrusions. Has anyone here done that? How? IMHO the Nikkor would fit a K-mount much better with those gone. The lens cost me only US$9 so I'm not worried about mucking up priceless glass.
Have a look at this link RioRico - maybe interesting?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/66701-modify-m...-use-k10d.html
04-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
The base isn't quite the same but that looks like a useful approach. Thanks much.

04-08-2010, 04:41 AM   #9

it might work. but you won't be able to auto focus by using that
04-08-2010, 06:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Of course not nor, when you use such adaptation, is there any intention of using autofocus.
04-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phzy2003 Quote
it might work. but you won't be able to auto focus by using that
I don't think the OP mentioned an AF lens.
05-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #12

My uncle just recently gave me his old photographic equipment.
It consists of a Nikon F-801 with two Tokina AT-X AF lenses:

- 80-200mm f/2.8
- 28-70mm f/2.8

I know that I'll just be able to use those lenses with stop down metering and manual focus on my Pentax if I use the adapter posted in this thread, but I found out that the Tokina lenses were also available with Pentax mount and I wonder if anybody knows if there's an easy way to change mounts on these lenses so I can use them directly on my K100d.

Thanks in advance!

dornadeluxe
05-01-2010, 03:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dornadeluxe Quote
My uncle just recently gave me his old photographic equipment.
It consists of a Nikon F-801 with two Tokina AT-X AF lenses:

- 80-200mm f/2.8
- 28-70mm f/2.8

I know that I'll just be able to use those lenses with stop down metering and manual focus on my Pentax if I use the adapter posted in this thread, but I found out that the Tokina lenses were also available with Pentax mount and I wonder if anybody knows if there's an easy way to change mounts on these lenses so I can use them directly on my K100d.

Thanks in advance!

dornadeluxe
While it may seem like a simple idea it is not,

the nikon cameras have the aperture activation lever move in the opposite direction to pentax, so all the internal mechanism is diffferent.

additionally, the electronics are different between pentax and nikon, therefore you would have to replace the electronic circuitry in the lens as well.

While the optics may be the same, and the overall lens looks similar, that is about the limit when it comes to how "interchangeable" third party lenses are between camera makers
05-01-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I believe you can retain or preserve the IQ of the lens, if you don't mind losing infinity or just shoot somehow at past midrange distance. I've read that you can remove the correction glass that affects the IQ.
05-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe you can retain or preserve the IQ of the lens, if you don't mind losing infinity or just shoot somehow at past midrange distance. I've read that you can remove the correction glass that affects the IQ.
Nope, I don't think so...
I tried a Nikon type lens (100/2.8) with the lens removed from the Pentax\Nikon adapter and I could only focus the subject at around 24" distance.