Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 05:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Usually a lenspen, or a microfibre cloth (both of which I keep in my bag), maybe a blower too if I'm at home. But if I'm out and about and can't be bothered reaching for anything, then a bit of breath and my shirt will do.

04-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Usually a lenspen, or a microfibre cloth (both of which I keep in my bag), maybe a blower too if I'm at home. But if I'm out and about and can't be bothered reaching for anything, then a bit of breath and my shirt will do.
careful not to spit on it. saliva is somewhat corrosive.
04-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My God man, you don't clean them do you?
If I don't have a microfibre cloth around, I'll use an old cotton tea towel or an old t-shirt.
Never was one for lens cleaning solutions, if breathing on the lens doesn't get enough moisture onto the glass I'll just lick it and then wipe it off.
It's crude, but it works.
An awful lot of pro photographers rely on a system similar to yours, Wheatfield. I have a pack of lens cloth and some cleaning solution in my bags, just in case. Most of the time, a blower brush does the trick.

Another poster said that lens papers are abrasive and should never be used. I disagree. I used an M 135/3.5 from 1961 to 1978, and used lens papers and cleaning solutions with no effect at all on the lens other than cleaning it. Admittedly, I do brush first, and only use other items when necessary.
04-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote

Another poster said that lens papers are abrasive and should never be used. I disagree. I used an M 135/3.5 from 1961 to 1978, and used lens papers and cleaning solutions with no effect at all on the lens other than cleaning it. Admittedly, I do brush first, and only use other items when necessary.
I got the warning about lens tissue from a reputable source, an expert repairer of Carl Zeiss stuff linky ;)

shim

04-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shim Quote
I got the warning about lens tissue from a reputable source, an expert repairer of Carl Zeiss stuff linky ;)

shim
Interesting. I examined the statements on the site, but I still hold that I noticed no deterioration of any kind in the lenses or the coatings using "Kodak Lens Cleaning Paper". The package states that it is
QuoteQuote:
A soft, lintless paper specially prepared for cleaning lenses, filters, and other highly polished glass surfaces. Safe for coated lenses too.
rather than some other tissue used, as the article states, for packing lens elements for shipping. Part of the difference in opinion may be the way the papers are used. I use a blower brush before using the papers.
QuoteQuote:
To use: loosely wad one sheet of Kodak Lens Cleaning Paper and brush dust from the surface.
To remove fingerprints: wad another sheet, moisten it with one drop of lens cleaner, and wipe the surface using a circular motion.
04-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My God man, you don't clean them do you?
If I don't have a microfibre cloth around, I'll use an old cotton tea towel or an old t-shirt.
Never was one for lens cleaning solutions, if breathing on the lens doesn't get enough moisture onto the glass I'll just lick it and then wipe it off.
It's crude, but it works.
I'll bet you would clean a fork for a dinner guest the same way if it fell on the ground. Pick it up lick it off, then dry it in your shirt.

Actually, I do it a little differently.

Blow it off, optionally with dust off or blower, but I throw away the brush, they have too much tendancy to pick up skin oils.

I will use eyeglass solution if the filter is really dirty. But this leaves a film that has to be removed with either hot breath or a little steam and lens tissue.

Except for a few used lenses that sat for years with no caps, never had to clean the elemens yet, just blow them off. Cleaning elements I will sometimes use alcohol, that's what the lens makers use.
04-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

I rarely "clean" lens elements. It just isn't necessary. I blow dust off with a Rocket blower or S+H bulb and then brush with a lipstick-style brush.

When I do clean glass, such as if I get a really obnoxiously large fingerprint on it, I use one drop of Residual Oil Remover on a Pentax microfiber cloth, gently wipe circularly, then reverse the cloth and gently dry.

I clean the metal, plastic and rubber parts of my lenses fairly often, though

Last edited by monochrome; 04-07-2010 at 06:45 PM.
04-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
careful not to spit on it. saliva is somewhat corrosive.
You'd be surprised, but I found a B+W filter handbook that says the following:

QuoteQuote:
When the dirt is very hard to remove, a bit of saliva is the best solution always available, guaranteed free of abrasive materials, oil and aggressive chemical substances.
There is some other good cleaning advice inside. Search for "saliva" to get to the relevant passage. This document is also notable in that it offers an official statement about B+W MRC coating being harder than glass.

QuoteQuote:
MRC coating (Multi-Resistant Coating) by B+W is not only an extraordinarily effective multiple layer coating, it is also harder than glass, so that it protects filters from scratches (for instance when cleaning the filters), and it is also water- and dirt repellent, thus facilitating filter maintenance.
I usually follow two simple steps when cleaning lenses:

1. I blow dust and particles away using a Giotto blower
2. I then use a Pentax micro-fiber cloth (B&H has it) to clean the glass

If there are sticky substances, I try to breathe a bit on the glass. If that doesn't work, I use some isopropyl alcohol, then breath again, then microfiber. Haven't had any problems with this method.

04-08-2010, 04:13 AM   #24

i usually use the blower first , if it still not clean, i will use the lenspen.
04-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I really wonder how much say a fingerprint or two is really going to affect image quality (if it's really dirty, that's another matter). I've never had great success in cleaning lenses--lens tissue left some of itself behind (and may have caused a scratch or two in the process), the Microfiber cloths I got (PhotoClear), were good at first, but if you don't remember which side you held, you quickly end up wiping with the side that your fingers touched and you put oil back on the lens (maybe I should wear gloves while cleaning...), plus the orange color ones did deposit some of their fibers on my lens (which I cannot blow off easily). I'm going to give Pec-Pads a try next, but basically I want to avoid cleaning as much as possible...
04-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My concern with fingerprints is that they may serve as adherent to other dust and then it might be harder to remove that.

To keep track of which side of a microfiber I use, I keep it folded and I always use the interior for wiping. I also wash them after I use them about a dozen times.
04-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #27

Wow, I didn't know there are so many ways to cleaning lenses. I use a filter or hood most of the time and that limits the need to clean. When I do need to clean I use a lens cleaning cloth (a small microfiber cloth). If the dust is persistent a little optic solution on a cotton swab does the trick
04-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #28
Veteran Member

What, no one going to mention Vodka and a microfiber cloth?