Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: with your current lens line-up, I think it won't work that well because of the focal lengths that are covered well by the Sigma 15-30, DA21, and FA50/1.4. for someone who doesn't have such lenses at such focal lengths, the 17-50/2.8 would be great, especially with a DA15 to go along with it.
I agree: if you already have primes covering this range, then you would not need a zoom, unless you wanted to sell the primes. However, for someone without primes in the range, the Tamron 17-50mm is a awesome choice. It really does offer prime-like IQ, throughout its range.

04-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #32
Veteran Member

For some odd reason, DA 21 hasn't gotten good reviews in some of the user forum websites in Japan. DA 12-24 is highly regarded, however.
04-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #33
Pentaxian

It seems to me that the DA 21mm makes compromises which give it character, but do not earn it accolades.

It is miniature tiny small. This is hugely appealing to me, but it requires tradeoffs.

It is pretty sharp across the image, not just in the center. But other center-optimized lenses are even sharper in the center (though probably less sharp at the edges). Another tradeoff.

But the colors and contrast are standard DA Limited, which is to say "shockingly good". But it seems to me that the DA 21mm LTD has a little more pop to it than the others. Not quantifiable, but I think the image quality is there to be seen. I wish I had the vocabulary to describe this. I'm also curious to know if others see it too, or maybe I'm deluding myself.

And I really like focal length. 21mm is useful. Pretty good for people, pretty wide for things. Maybe not perfect for everything, but once again a good compromise.

I don't know why it doesn't get good reviews. I think it deserves better.
04-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks guys for all your input.

i think i have decided on..... the tamron 17-50 f2.8!

chose it based on the flexibility, sharpness, as well as it has the extra width at 17mm on top of being faster at f2.8.

hopefully i will be happy with my decision...

04-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #35

I just bought one from the following link:
Tamron | SP AF 17-50/2.8 DI II LD ASPHERICAL IF MACRO WIDE-ANGLE TELEPHOTO ZOOM LENS FOR PENTAX DIGITAL SLR CAMERAS (67MM) | AF016P700 | Tri-State Camera, Video, and Computer

I have only had 2 days to try the lens but so far I consider it an excellent lens. It is a mega upgrade from the kit lens. Very sharp and excellent colors.

You won't regret your purchase.
04-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jorgitog1 Quote
I just bought one from the following link:
Tamron | SP AF 17-50/2.8 DI II LD ASPHERICAL IF MACRO WIDE-ANGLE TELEPHOTO ZOOM LENS FOR PENTAX DIGITAL SLR CAMERAS (67MM) | AF016P700 | Tri-State Camera, Video, and Computer

I have only had 2 days to try the lens but so far I consider it an excellent lens. It is a mega upgrade from the kit lens. Very sharp and excellent colors.

You won't regret your purchase.
macro? i didnt know it had a macro function do you use a filter along with it?
04-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #37
Forum Member

Original Poster
at the same time, do you guys know of any QC problems or whatnot with this lens? i will pop by to the shops on today or tomorrow, and am kind of nervous because i do not really know how to check a lens. haha.
04-08-2010, 11:18 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ohyouloveme Quote
at the same time, do you guys know of any QC problems or whatnot with this lens? i will pop by to the shops on today or tomorrow, and am kind of nervous because i do not really know how to check a lens. haha.
Some people notice some front focusing or back focusing with this lens, but I think this tends to get overblown. And if it is an issue with your lens, you can always send it to Tamron under warranty to get fixed. But my bet is, you'll mount it and be blown away by it like the rest of us.

macro? i didnt know it had a macro function do you use a filter along with it?
It basically means it can act like a close-focus lens. You can get some good macro-type shots, but it is not a 1:1 macro lens or anything close to that (I think it is 1:4.5). It does provide some flexibility, but it does not replace a true macro lens.

04-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Definitely check for front/back focus issues.
04-08-2010, 12:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
ohyouloveme: macro? i didnt know it had a macro function do you use a filter along with it?
It means the lens can focus down to a little closer than 11 inches (.27 of a meter to be more precise). Couple that capacity with cropping and you'll get some amazing close ups.

As Deadwolfbones says, check for accurate FF, BF when you get the lens. If focus is on, you'll be singing. Congratulations and best of luck.
04-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

if you buy it brand new, most shops allow you to exchange around here. some used shops may even let you do that, too. japan is one of the few places in the world where you can leave a camera bag at a cafe and return to retrieve it at the same place 3 hours later. happened to me once...
04-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #42
Veteran Member

do you know someone personally who could show you how to? it's a good idea to ask for their know how.
04-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #43
Inactive Account

I'm a prime user myself and I generally only have one lens with me. Since I have started with my DA40 the DA21 will more than likely be my next purchase. I like the examples I have seen with it and I like it's size.
04-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
hey guys, an urgent new update!!

I was intending to get the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 here brand new at 587 SGD. Thats 422 USD.

Now, i have an opportunity to get the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 macro second hand at $550 SGD. (USD 395)

How does the sigma compare and which should i go for? is it better to get the sigma? admittedly, i have not checked out the sigma much. but a brief comparison has showed me that it has a slightly closer focusing and a larger magnification ratio.

IQ and build quality wise, are they any different?

Last edited by ohyouloveme; 04-09-2010 at 11:10 PM.
04-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Not having the Tamron, I can't compare the two lenses.

But I have the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 EX DC for 2 years now. It is just great. The lens is sharp, probably as sharp as my DA* 16-50, if not sharper. Distortion is very well controlled, better than the DA* 16-50. Yes, the Sigma has closer focusing than the DA* too.

I bought it on the recommendation of Popular Photography, and have not been disappointed. Even now that I have the DA* 16-50 and several DA Ltd. lenses covering the same FL, I still can't let the Sigma go (may be some time in the future).