04-09-2010, 06:53 AM   #31
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
To not understand me in a wrong way:

I love the DA15!

Just this week it was a great fun:

Looks like Tolkien, .

But Im just not shure if my copy is adjusted in the right way.

Whole pic at f8:

Left corner:

Right corner:

Tomorrow I will make the spoken side by side check with user tzcobrettis DA15 and will post the pics.

Rainer

04-09-2010, 07:43 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'm guessing your opinion was formed by sample images - not controlled tests - that just happened to show differences in DOF / focus plane.
True. I looked at lots of shots from the DA15 as they were posted. I also read through those test results you mention, as I am voracious when it comes to research.

All I do in the real world is look at shots from my lenses. So looking at sample images has been a pretty good way of evaluating lenses. It has led me to buy some of the best lenses going, so as a method it has proved its worth.

By no means is the DA15 a bad lens. I just think it's overpriced for a slow prime.
04-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #33
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Quoting prices is a very personal thing. I know people who payed a few hundred bucks for ten feet speaker cables and they say it was very fair priced...

You must mention the size of the DA15. Look how big (and expensive) the Zeiss lenses in that focal range are and you know what a killer the DA15 is.

Just found a webside who shows a for me new way to test decentered lenses.

Sorry that it is in German, but the pics will tell the way:

Dezentrierung

I will try this tomorrow also.
04-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
You must mention the size of the DA15. Look how big (and expensive) the Zeiss lenses in that focal range are and you know what a killer the DA15 is.
Yes. If size is the priority then the DA15 is the one.

04-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Also, speaking entirely subjectively (because there is really no other way to discuss this subejct): while of course I'd have loved to have paid less for my DA15, I feel I got my money's worth for it more so than I did my DA70 that I got for $100 less. And I think the DA70 might be my best lens overall. Just doesn't give me the same sense of joy, largely because I find the focal length more of a "specialty" thing than I thought it would be for me, whereas I'm find 15mm far more versatile than I ever would have imagined. As for the 15 being "slow", I'll take that over "big" any day of the week at this focal length. But I'd certainly agree it's not for everyone, and that most would be better served by a zoom in this range. Not because the zooms are better (they aren't, really) but because they are far more flexible, and if you're not as size/weight sensitive as I am, a zoom just makes a lot more sense especially for wide angle and and specifically if the prime can't offer more speed.
04-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Quoting prices is a very personal thing. I know people who payed a few hundred bucks for ten feet speaker cables and they say it was very fair priced...

Just found a webside who shows a for me new way to test decentered lenses.

Sorry that it is in German, but the pics will tell the way:

Dezentrierung

I will try this tomorrow also.
isn't there a voigtlander 15mm variety that is quite inexpensive ?
04-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
isn't there a voigtlander 15mm variety that is quite inexpensive ?
For Leica M and L (thread) mount there is, but it won't work on a Pentax!

TKH--I think your copy either has a bad left side or a really good right side!

Seriously though, I think if you present these pictures they'd have to do something!
04-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #38
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Shoot today with user tzcobretti in the zoo.

Whole pic:

His DA15 left corner:

My DA15 left corner:

So on monday I send my DA15 the third time again to Pentax Germany. I hope that they manage to adjust it.

I will report when I receive the lens back.

Thanks for your support.

Rainer

04-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #39
Veteran Member

So on monday I send my DA15 the third time again to Pentax Germany. I hope that they manage to adjust it.
Incredible! Be sure to tell them exactly what the problem is and let them know you've tried twice before to have it fixed. (They may not cross-reference their records on this.)

I think at this point they should be compensating you for all the shipping charges.
05-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #40
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Incredible! Be sure to tell them exactly what the problem is and let them know you've tried twice before to have it fixed. (They may not cross-reference their records on this.)

I think at this point they should be compensating you for all the shipping charges.
Little update.

Sent the lens third time to the Pentax repair center Maerz in Hamburg.
Ten days later I received the lens back.
They quoted:
"Lens works fine within the specifications of Pentax".
Funny is that they send with a "testshoot". They take a pic of a focuschart they have put on a cellar wall. Using a flash. Distance around three feet...

Last exit was for me to call a sales promoter of Pentax South of Germany a know from a Pentax roadshow. He spoke with a manager from Pentax Hamburg. This man contacted me and told me to send the lens to him. So I shipped the lens fourth time.

This man phoned me last week. He told me that when he checked the lens, everything looked OK. But beside from testchart testing he went outside and took a few pics. His words:"I thaught its a normal lens, but when I check pics from my outside shooting, I see you are right. Left hand there is a lot of blur. The lens is clearly decentered."

Man, i was very happy that first time a official from Pentax sees it in the same way like we.

They now ordered an other copy of the DA15 for me from Pentax Paris (they are the European headquarter). I dont think it will be a new lens. A refurbished I think? But I will be happy last when it works fine.

I hope the lens will knock on my door before I start to my hiking trip to Scotland end of next week.

Rainer
06-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #41
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Little update.

Last exit was for me to call a sales promoter of Pentax South of Germany a know from a Pentax roadshow. He spoke with a manager from Pentax Hamburg. This man contacted me and told me to send the lens to him. So I shipped the lens fourth time.

This man phoned me last week. He told me that when he checked the lens, everything looked OK. But beside from testchart testing he went outside and took a few pics. His words:"I thaught its a normal lens, but when I check pics from my outside shooting, I see you are right. Left hand there is a lot of blur. The lens is clearly decentered."

They now ordered an other copy of the DA15 for me from Pentax Paris (they are the European headquarter). I dont think it will be a new lens. A refurbished I think? But I will be happy last when it works fine.

I hope the lens will knock on my door before I start to my hiking trip to Scotland end of next week.

Rainer
Next udate.

Five weeks have gone and no DA15 for me.

Send today an email to the manager of Pentax Germany. The answere was:
"Sorry, we havnt get any new DA15 for you. We are stll waiting for the lens."

So the story goes on and on since a half year.

What would you do in my shoes??

Rainer
07-09-2010, 06:55 AM   #42
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A long story that never ends...

I phoned and wrote a few times more.
Today they told me from Pentax Germany that they will not be able to send me a new DA15 before Oktober!!

So I decided to take a DA21 insted of the DA15.
They check a DA21 today and on monday they will send it to me.

Rainer
07-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #43
Veteran Member

If you're lucky the 21 will come and then in October you will find a surprise- a 15 arrives unexpected!
07-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #44
TKH
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That must be great stuff what your are drinking...
I take two pints of it.