Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

3rd Party WR/Weather Sealed Lenses

Are there any recommendations out there on third party WR lenses? My confidence in the SDM of the DA* lenses is lacking, and i need something that i can rely on for at least 2 years, in likely harsh conditions. (I was in love with these lenses when they came out, but many reviews tell a different story). I would get the lens though, if i were a professional and can spare the expense.

I am going to the Peace Corps, in Mongolia. There is not much precipitation that I have to worry about, other than the condensation accumulated after bringing the lens back in from the cold. But, I will be traveling to China and Thailand, where I will likely be hiking with my K-7.

Basically. I need something that can keep up with the build, durability, and reliability of my camera. I don't see that with the 1 year guaranteed lifespan of the SDM motor, which maybe shortened by the cold weather.

Thanks for your help!

04-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
emr

I'm afraid there are none.
04-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Most lenses last well beyond 2 years (SDM concerns aside). If the SDM worries you but you need WR, why not go with the two newest WR kit lens versions? They are pretty solid (I have the 18-55 WR) and should fare well, both being screw drive lenses. That is the end of the WR choice line either way.
04-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i really want a faster lens that is WR =( i love my current lens, the 18-55wr. it is great for the money but unfortunately not fast enough for a plesant bokeh. I guess i am just hoping for a do it all workhorse lens, but i guess we all are! the da* are great, but with that sdm, they are second to the rest of their line up imo. the line simply detracts from their brand image of being durible , reliable , and high quality.

04-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
emr

A faster WR lens without SDM? Well, there's always the DFA 100mm f/2.8 macro WR. AFAIK, that's the only one and the focal length may not suit all the uses.