Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tips on buy a lens?

I'm going to buy my first brand new lens. Should I get it online? or at the store? Do the stores usually let you try it first? If say... I ordered at B&H would there be Warranty in Canada? ;D Thanks!

04-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NecroticSoldier Quote
I'm going to buy my first brand new lens. Should I get it online? or at the store? Do the stores usually let you try it first? If say... I ordered at B&H would there be Warranty in Canada? ;D Thanks!
What lens do you want to buy? And does a store near you carry it?

Buying online from a reputable dealer gives you the warranty. And there's nothing you can adequately test for in person at the store anyway.
04-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If you're in Canada, I'd buy from Prodigital2000 on eBay. Canadian seller, already low prices, 8% cashback (or does the Bing cashback not work in Canada? I forgot...)
04-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
If you're in Canada, I'd buy from Prodigital2000 on eBay. Canadian seller, already low prices, 8% cashback (or does the Bing cashback not work in Canada? I forgot...)

USA Paypal and Ebay accounts only IIRC. Even without the 8%, Prodigital2000 is a decent seller. Just make sure they have what you want in stock. I don't know how warranty is affected buying from USA to Canada.

04-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
What lens do you want to buy? And does a store near you carry it?

Buying online from a reputable dealer gives you the warranty. And there's nothing you can adequately test for in person at the store anyway.
Planning on a DA 55-300mm, Checked the store today, they have 2 of them. Yeah... I don't think I can test it that well in the store anyways.
04-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I bought all my lens online...I've never had experience to buy any of my equipments in the store...
04-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
I bought all my lens online...I've never had experience to buy any of my equipments in the store...
Curse you USAers! You and your free shipping to any state! and no customs! and no dumb dumb money conversions!
04-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

Curse you USAers! You and your free shipping to any state! and no customs! and no dumb dumb money conversions!
Yeah, but at least you guys have had universal health coverage, and it's almost like World War III here trying to have what YOU have.

If you're dead, you can't shoot, so consider yourself lucky in that respect.

04-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Yeah, but at least you guys have had universal health coverage, and it's almost like World War III here trying to have what YOU have.

If you're dead, you can't shoot, so consider yourself lucky in that respect.
Wait a minute! didn't they pass something about health recently? (sorry I don't want USA NEWS... okay maybe I do... but I don't watch news in general unless it's something about a bomb or something in my neighbourhood)

Also... there's pros and cons to everything. I'm going to bash our government here. Some of them are pretty corrupt. Taxes have gone way out of hand... and we're soon going to have this BS HST thing. Gosh, so over-taxed and we Canadians are scared to protest. (or just too lazy.)
04-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wait a minute! didn't they pass something about health recently? (sorry I don't want USA NEWS... okay maybe I do... but I don't watch news in general unless it's something about a bomb or something in my neighbourhood)

Also... there's pros and cons to everything. I'm going to bash our government here. Some of them are pretty corrupt. Taxes have gone way out of hand... and we're soon going to have this BS HST thing. Gosh, so over-taxed and we Canadians are scared to protest. (or just too lazy.)
I wish there is a modern day Oliver Cromwell and abolish the parliament. those politicians waste a lot of taxpayers' money every year.
04-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Planning on a DA 55-300mm, Checked the store today, they have 2 of them. Yeah... I don't think I can test it that well in the store anyways.
good luck and avoid shipping via UPS at all cost.
04-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I wish there is a modern day Oliver Cromwell and abolish the parliament. those politicians waste a lot of taxpayers' money every year.
I don't know who Oliver Cromwell is... so... HELL YEAH! and why not UPS?
04-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't know who Oliver Cromwell is... so... HELL YEAH! and why not UPS?
He was an English military fellow who got tired of the politicians who are in parliament. he decidedly abolished one parliament and formed a new one, but not before becoming a dictator which IMO, was good for England during that time. I do believe that the Parliament of Canada needs some knocking on the head right now.

as far as why not UPS? please follow this link and read til the end. >>> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/95920-how-ups-customs-canada...my-lenses.html
04-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
He was an English military fellow who got tired of the politicians who are in parliament. he decidedly abolished one parliament and formed a new one, but not before becoming a dictator which IMO, was good for England during that time. I do believe that the Parliament of Canada needs some knocking on the head right now.

as far as why not UPS? please follow this link and read til the end. >>> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/95920-how-ups-customs-canada...my-lenses.html
Okay ;D I will read. Yes Canada needs some of that... we got lost some how.
04-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received a number of good advice. I agree with most that you can buy directly online from a reputed online shop (Adorama, B&H, KEH). The reputation of the online retailer is essential to ensure that the warranty will be honoured and that you will get some services.

You do not need to try for most lenses, but for a zoom. I found that it may help to try a zoom to assess if the zoom range corresponds to your expectations: e.g., if you are unsure about 18-200 versus 18-250mm.

Hope that the comment will help.