Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #1

Need advice about changing

Hi, at the moment i have sigma 18-50 2.8, which i dont like pretty much because the AF is bad. I have chance to sell it and buy a new FA 50mm 1.4.
The minus is that it is prime, but still, its pentax after all and new. I bought mine sigma used.
How do you think, should i go for the FA 50mm 1.4?
And how is gonna the picture look, as i understand FA lenses are for 35mm cameras, but pentax DSLRs are crop.
thanks

04-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eriksons Quote
Hi, at the moment i have sigma 18-50 2.8, which i dont like pretty much because the AF is bad. I have chance to sell it and buy a new FA 50mm 1.4.
The minus is that it is prime, but still, its pentax after all and new. I bought mine sigma used.
And how is gonna the picture look, as i understand FA lenses are for 35mm cameras, but pentax DSLRs are crop.
thanks
Forget the term crop. The 50 will give you field of view equivalent to a 75mm on a 35mm film SLR.

My point of reference is that shooting exlusively with the 50 for a month or two will make you a much better photographer. It will teach you to be more creative and selective before you pull the trigger, and the quality and speed of the 1.4 is only a GOOD thing.

Sure, you won't be able to shoot the interior of the Colliseum in Rome, but are you heading there any time soon? The camera around your neck with a good 50 can do magic, including portraits, where the 1.4's shallow depth of field can only be bettered by a 1.2.

But unless your name is Rockefeller, that means a 1.4.

Of course, you can get a manual 1.4 for just 75 bucks or so, but that's fodder for another thread.
04-05-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

From what the forum's lens database shows, the FA 50/1.4 is a pretty nice lens. As for what you'll see through the viewfinder . . . pretty much what you see through the Sigma at 50mm: a 50 is a 50. (On a 35mm film camera, you'd get a wider field of view, one folks refer to as "normal." On a Pentax DSLR, the FOV will seem narrower, so the 50 will seem like a short portrait lens.)

The "minus" of being a prime can also be seen as a plus: the 50/1.4 is pretty compact, so it'll be smaller than your Sigma. And it's a faster lens, too. And though I haven't used either lens, I do have an M50/1.4, and my guess is that the FA 50 will give you better image quality.

On the other hand, you'd be losing the wide end of your zoom, and you may find that you'll want to get another lens for wide angle shots.

Another idea might be to replace the Sigma with another zoom if you're just not happy with it. I know little about the non-Pentax offerings, but you might want to look for a DA 16-45. But if you can get a decent deal on the FA 50/1.4, I think that once you got used to it, you'd be very happy with it.

Hope that helps a little as you think it all through.
04-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes, the main thing that i dont like in my sigma, that its unsharp, i bought it used and the seller told me, that it has front focus, at that time i was really noob at photography. Still learning.
And for the price i can sell my sigma the only available lens is fa 50, because new 16-45 costs 60$ higher in my country.

04-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The standard lens is no more standard on APS-C, more like a indoor portrait lens. So if you go for a standard lens, you should look for something at around 35mm...But soon you will find the viewangle is not so comfortable, and your photo has not enough information, especially for the landscape shoot.
To me, I will take a DA 21 first, if you really want a prime lens. DA 21 is equavalent as 35mm view angle, the classic view angle, which means it just like what you see in your eyes. And it is can be used for landscape, potrait, whatever you want, not so wide, and not so narrow. However the 3.2 aperture is not fast enough, you can get a manual lens like m50/1.4 to shoot indoor.
04-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Eriksons Quote
50mm for the FA50 is *exactly* the same as 50mm for the 18-50. As others said, if you don't shoot film, forget you ever heard of a crop facotr - it's just not relevant t your life. If you like the idea of a lens that is like the 18-55 glued to the 50mm end, you'll like the FA50, but no way can it possibly replace the 18-50 given that it's *only* a telephoto lens, with no wide angle or "normal" capability.

If I were you, I'd focus on figuring out the problem you are having with the 18-50 - maybe post some pictures to explain the issue you are seeing.
04-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Maybe I overlooked which camera you have, but on K20D and K7 you can adjust focusing to solve front/back focusing. And on other models there is usually a debug mode to adjust it.

I'm with Marc on this one. You're buying that lens for the wrong reason.
04-06-2010, 02:28 AM   #8

Original Poster
i have k200d, what i must do on debug mode and how can i get it? im pretty newb on this

04-06-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You can start reading the following thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/35765-how-access-d...ntax-k200.html
04-06-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The sigma 18-50 f/2.8 (macro or non-macro?) is a good lens. The macro is a bit better, but both are very good.

If front focusing is your problem, you really should be trying to solve that problem, not buy another lens.
04-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Pentaxian

But first, since you say are relatively new, you should get real proof there is a focus problem. Many newcomers to the DSLR world think they have focus problems when really, it's either just shallow DOF or esle the camera not reading their minds and choosing to focus exactly where they wanted. Have you performed a test using a good focus test chart and carefully following the instructions?
04-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #12

Original Poster
There are many focus tests, which should i take?
04-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Doens't really matter. I'm accustomed to the one at focustestchart.com, others prefer other versions. As long as you set it up properly so that the camera is forced to focus wher the chart wants it to focus, you are fine.