Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMPC-FA 50mm F/1.4 lens for K-z camera

I have read several reviews on this lens and now thinking about purchasing one. Most of the reviews say it is an excellent portrait lens and I am wondering if this would be a good choice for outdoor photography. Can this lens be used in the auto focus mode on the Kx camera, or must it be used only in the manual or say aperture mode? Any help or thoughts on my first addition to my camera would be appreciated. As you can tell, I am just getting into photography, most of which is of the different parks and areas we visit while fulltiming in our RV across the US and looking to purchase this lens to upgrade from our current kit lenses so that our photos have more clarity and sharpness. Thanks for any help or comments. Bob

Last edited by Bob Harris; 04-05-2010 at 06:42 PM.
04-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Of course it will work AF or manual FA50 are good. I would get one but wait next new DA lenses.
04-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #3

i never heard of k-z camera. what is that?
04-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry about that typo, K-x camera.
Danny from what I get you are saying to wait and purchase a DA lens versus the FA 50?

04-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Bob,
A few comments that might be of interest:

- I use my Nokton 58mm f1.4 for outdoor and I am very happy with the outcome. I would expect the same from the FA50mm. The Nokton is a MF lens and I use the Automatic aperture mode (A-mode).

- If you work outdoor and want to use a 50mm lens, the AF is of lesser importance than for indoor. For example, with the Nokton the focal distance is important when the object is less than 10 m away. For longer distance, the focus ring is basically on infinite. Simply a MF 50mm lens can do the job as well as an AF one for many outdoor situations.

- I chose the Nokton 58mm over the FA50mm because I work a lot outdoor and I wanted a very robust lens. The Nokton is real sturdy: "The lens is absolutely beautifully crafted and a joy to use despite the lack of AF [...] The build quality of the lens is superb - the outer barrel is made of metal and it's a pure joy to use the well-damped focus ring" (http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/360-voigtlander-nokton-58mm-f14-sl-ii). I got some very helpful advice from this forum (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/84601-advice-l...oor-photo.html) and I do not reget my decision.

Hope that the comments will be helpful.
04-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you are new at photogrpahyt, I'm wondering if you are aware that the Fa50 is a "prime", not a "zoom", and will be like using your 18-55 glued to the 55mm end. While it can certainly be used outdoors, that's not a focal legnth many people would choose first for landscapes. If I were you, I'd start by examing your usage of the 18-55, perhaps posting images (the beginner's forum would be a good place for this), to see if perhaps something about your technique is what is causing whatever you are unhappy with in the images. Not that the FA50 isn't sharper - it is - but shooting at f/8 or f/11 as you normally should be outdoors, there difference should be barely visible to the naked eye. I think it would be a large mistake to buy the FA50 hoping for better landscape photos.
04-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks to both of you for opening my eyes a little. I did not think about the the long distance shots that we normally take such as at the Grand Canyon etc. I think I have gotten ahead of myself a bit and was looking for an instant fix looking for more quality. I will also look at different lens in this 50mm such as Nokton. I have posted photos, but mainly on the general post your photo link. The beginners section would be better for me, that way I might get suggestions. thanks to all. Bob