Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Cosina Voigtländer SL 90mm F/3.5 Apo-Lanthar

After mentioning the Voigländer 90/3.5 in a thread not long ago, I received a private message from someone who wanted to know whether the flare was really as bad as stated in Klaus' review on Photozone:

A real weakness of the Voigtlander is flare in contra light situations.

So I put my faithful Apo-Lanthar on the K20d and took a few pictures in full contre-jour, with the sun in the frame to test the resistance to flare. I think it passed the test quite honorably:

Cheers!

Abbazz

04-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After some further testing, I have been able to replicate the "flare" reported by Klaus in his Photozone review. In fact, this issue is due to light reflected by the chrome ring located just next to the front element of the lens:

Picture credit: Cameraquest

Under a certain angle, light reflected by this chrome ring will enter the lens and drastically reduce image contrast. It occurs only when there is direct light coming from a very narrow family of angles next to the lens axis and it is quite easy to avoid this issue by tilting the lens a tiny bit in any direction.

The new SLII lens, with its all black finish, should be exempt of this defect.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Last edited by Abbazz; 04-23-2010 at 06:37 AM.
04-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have this lens too, lovely lens and easily solved problem. I just use a screw in hood with a black thread (best to use a hood anyway) and no such problem..

I still like the build of the SL series over the newer SL II..
04-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Under a certain angle, light reflected by this chrome ring will enter the lens and drastically reduce image contrast. It occurs only when there is direct light coming from a very narrow family of angles next to the lens axis and it is quite easy to avoid this issue by tilting the lens a tiny bit in any direction...
That must have been what I was experiencing!
Corresponds with what I saw. It's nice to see this confirmation. Thanks, Abbazz.

04-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If I remember, these did not come with a hood, or rather required one to buy a hood as a fairly expensive extra accessory. That is always annoying, as a hood is an essential, not optional, purchase IMO.

Reflective silver is also annoying. Good detective work to track down the issue!

Oh, and nice shots!
04-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
If I remember, these did not come with a hood, or rather required one to buy a hood as a fairly expensive extra accessory. That is always annoying, as a hood is an essential, not optional, purchase IMO.

Reflective silver is also annoying. Good detective work to track down the issue!

Oh, and nice shots!
I wonder if a black magic marker might do the trick. (Yes, I know that is ugly, but it is a tool).
04-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
I have this lens too, lovely lens and easily solved problem. I just use a screw in hood with a black thread (best to use a hood anyway) and no such problem..
I agree, the lens is lovely. I have the OEM hood and I like it because it's nicely finished and its bayonet makes it easier to use than a screwmount hood.

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
I still like the build of the SL series over the newer SL II..
Yes, I find the chrome and black finish reminiscent of the much regretted Zeiss Contarex lenses and much classier than the new finish.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
That must have been what I was experiencing!
Corresponds with what I saw. It's nice to see this confirmation. Thanks, Abbazz.
You're welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

Oh, and nice shots!
Thanks for the kind words. As stated above, I have the Voigtländer hood, which is very efficient because of its length. Too bad it mounts on the outside of the chrome ring, meaning it doesn't cover the shiny threaded part just in front of the lens! Any third party screwmount lenshood should solve this issue, because it would be screwed inside the chrome ring, thus covering the shiny part in front of the lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I wonder if a black magic marker might do the trick. (Yes, I know that is ugly, but it is a tool).
Can also! Where's my Sharpie?

04-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
After mentioning the Voigländer 90/3.5 in a thread not long ago, I received a private message from someone who wanted to know whether the flare was really as bad as stated in Klaus' review on Photozone:

A real weakness of the Voigtlander is flare in contra light situations.

So I put my faithful Apo-Lanthar on the K20d and took a few pictures in full contre-jour, with the sun in the frame to test the resistance to flare. I think it passed the test quite honorably:

Cheers!

Abbazz
Great shots. I really love the first one.

Thank you for the thorough check of the lens and the additional 'tip' to eliminate the flare....
04-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great series of pics, Abbazz!

Great lens too--and so stylin, I could never take a sharpie to it!
04-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Great shots. I really love the first one.

Thank you for the thorough check of the lens and the additional 'tip' to eliminate the flare....
Thanks for the kind comments, highly appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Great series of pics, Abbazz!

Great lens too--and so stylin, I could never take a sharpie to it!
Thanks for the compliments. The sharpie would only be used to black out the inside of the threaded chrome ring in front of the lens. It would be totally invisible from the outside with the lenshood mounted.

Cheers!

Abbazz