Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tokina AT-X AF 28-70mm vs AT-X PRO 28-80mm review

Hi, fellas.

I've been here with you for a long (mostly reading Marketplace ), but it's only today when I decided to complete registration process and come up with my 1st post. I'm using Tokina ATX AF 28-70 since Jan and today I picked up new (yep, it's claimed to be new, not used) copy of AF280 lens. While waiting for that package to hit my post office I drilled almost all the web for the details of this pricey piece of glass and metal that I finally decided to buy - and I saw couple of posts here on PF, but not that much detailed. Neither I was able to find any mention here on PF about AT-X AF 28-70 lens - yep, it's pretty rare (and a bit oldish) model, but I take it to be noteworthy.

Let me know if I'd go on with this review.

Zig

P.S.
Em... I think it may be worth adding some well-known lens to the set to be reviewed so you'd be able to have some basic point for your own comparisons and conclusions. But unfortunately I don't have any of those 18-55 or 16-40 or 17-70 or whatsoever. Probably I'll be able to borrow a copy of 18-55 from somebody here around.

04-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Siegfried Quote
Hi, fellas.

I've been here with you for a long (mostly reading Marketplace ), but it's only today when I decided to complete registration process and come up with my 1st post. I'm using Tokina ATX AF 28-70 since Jan and today I picked up new (yep, it's claimed to be new, not used) copy of AF280 lens. While waiting for that package to hit my post office I drilled almost all the web for the details of this pricey piece of glass and metal that I finally decided to buy - and I saw couple of posts here on PF, but not that much detailed. Neither I was able to find any mention here on PF about AT-X AF 28-70 lens - yep, it's pretty rare (and a bit oldish) model, but I take it to be noteworthy.

Let me know if I'd go on with this review.

Zig

P.S.
Em... I think it may be worth adding some well-known lens to the set to be reviewed so you'd be able to have some basic point for your own comparisons and conclusions. But unfortunately I don't have any of those 18-55 or 16-40 or 17-70 or whatsoever. Probably I'll be able to borrow a copy of 18-55 from somebody here around.

The 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 is considered to be a very good budget choice over in full-frame Nikonland. The other 28-70/2.8 versions are also liked, but slightly less so. From what I've heard, the 28-80/2.8 doesn't live up to the performance of the 28-70s, but it's probably not bad.

Nikon glass: Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8

That's all the uninformed opinion I can pass on.
04-06-2010, 09:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
AT-X AF 28-70 2.8 isn't of that line. You're referring to lens line (AT-X PRO 28-70 2.6-2.8, 28-70 2.8 PRO SV and so on) based on Angenieux design that Tokina bought when Angenieux decided to give up photo equipment and completely move to video and cinema cam lens market.

Nevertheless, let me know if such a review can be of any use and what features are to be shown there.

Zig
04-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #4

Original Poster
An update:
Brand new $1K 280AF PRO lasted for 3 hours and is waiting for new flexible PCB to be replaced. So If any interest to be shown - so far I'll be able to proceed with AT-X AF270 model (1989-1994 production).

Zig