Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help with Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 issues

After seeing stellar reviews about the tammy I ordered one from B&h. Within 24 hours I found out that it suffered from the sticky aperture issue(I did expect that to crop up, if the copy was flawed). I sent it back and ordered another, this one has back focus issues.

I tried correcting for backfocus, but even a +10 (on K20D) did not seem satisfactory (f 2.8 at 70mm).

I am looking for some guidance on adjusting focus. I set the lens on a tripod, swtiched off SR, and shot pics of 3 AA batteries placed one battery diameter apart from each other. I focussed on the center battery and kept increasing AF adjust value. Is this the right method? Is there something else I can try to get the focus right?

I am in a dilemna whether to try my luck with a third tammy copy or just order the sigma instead.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Last edited by mccarvindh; 04-06-2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: edited language
04-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Could you not ask B & H to check the lens for faults before they ship it?
It seems to be a reasonable request in light of your experiences.

Mickey
04-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Could you not ask B & H to check the lens for faults before they ship it?
It seems to be a reasonable request in light of your experiences.

Mickey
Thank you Mickey for the suggestion. I may have to do that if I decide to try a third copy.
04-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
B&H Photo Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Could you not ask B & H to check the lens for faults before they ship it? It seems to be a reasonable request in light of your experiences. Mickey
We'd be reluctant to do this for a number of reasons. First, the people in our warehouse are pretty good at plucking boxes from shelves and transporting them to the shipping department, but they're entirely untrained in product inspection of this sort. Second, any lens can perform differently on one body than another, so our inspection might not be useful. Third, most customers prefer pristine unopened packages and we prefer to ship cameras, lenses, etc that way. Finally, it's very time consuming and prohibitively expensive.